“Disappointing”

Ranked #190 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Melbourne, Australia
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel for three nights and while I was impressed with the outside of building, the lobby and the helpfulness of the concierge staff, there is really not much else I could say that could paint this hotel in a positive light. The worst, most unbelievable part was the amount of money I paid for my room for the size, especially the bathroom. I understand that we are talking London prices here but this was a joke. The bathroom was the size of a powder room and you had to walk in sideways to get in because the basin protruded into to the entry way – badly designed! The breakfast was average too. One good point is that right next door to the hotel is Victoria station and there is a bus stop directly in front of the hotel so it’s easy to get around London. Sorry, but I'll be finding other accommodation next time I’m in London.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
IanFletcher, General Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Reviewer,
Thanks for your post. I regret that your stay with us was disappointing due to the size of your bedroom. The Grosvenor was built in 1862 and due to its age has varying different shaped and sized rooms; being a Grade 2 listed building there is very little we can do to alter the size of some of our bedrooms. I would love for you to give us a second chance and if you do, please contact me directly and I will ensure that you are allocated one of our larger bedrooms.
Ian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (894)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Best location, good service and breakfast. Ideal for those travelling via Gatwick ( direct access to Victoria Station!). Budget friendly. Rooms are a little too small for two beds. Would highly recommend to everybody looking for the best central location with easy access to all sorts of transportation.

Room Tip: away from street exposure, higher floors
1 Thank Vladlen K
Dear Reviewer,
Thanks for your post. We do have a super location here at The Grosvenor with Buckingham Palace just steps away from the hotel and excellent transport links to all of the sights that London has to offer. I hope to welcome you back soon.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I recently stayed a this hotel for several nights. The check in process took longer than I would have liked. The front desk clerk seemed to be a trainee so it would have been better if she had a supervisor standing next to her guiding her through the process.

I asked the concierge for nearby restaurants when I first arrived and was sent on a wild goose chase of sorts. I discovered on my own that there's a centre nearby with a number of restaurants, which the concierge could have easily directed me to. It seems as though a lot of people working in the hotel are not locals and not familiar with the areas around the hotel as they should be.

The morning buffet is average at best. I had to ask waiters to refill the stacks of dishes and cups a number of times. Typically, guests should not have to ask staff to do this kind of thing. Hotel staff should be paying attention and restacking dishes/cups as the quanttities get low. I also had to call over the waiter to get coffee every single day I had breakfast there. Considering the number of staff/managers working there, I found that a lot of people were standing around doing nothing. I figure it's never a good thing to ignore guests.

The location of this hotel is outstanding in that it's next door to Victoria station and close to a number of attractions, but if you're looking for superior customer service, I would look elsewhere.

Room Tip: The rooms seem to be fairly standard. The hotel itself is quite old and the rooms could use some maj...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Restless_Van
Dear Reviewer,
Thanks for your post. We do indeed have an outstanding location her at The Grosvenor. I regret that you were disappointed with the service that you received during your stay with us and I can assure you that this is certainly not indicative of our usual high standards; I will most definitely look into your concerns raised and thank you for bringing them to my attention.
With kind regards
bel air, md
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We loved this hotel! Just stayed first week in August 2014 for 4 days. The hotel is stunningly beautiful on the outside and inside. Very grand lobby. Our room was very spacious, with two twin beds - very large bathroom. Room was very grand and beautiful - super clean and updated. We would definitely stay here again. The location was at the Grosvenor Victoria, was excellent - beautiful area, close to Buckingham palace, westminster abbey, plus great pubs around the hotel. Very easy to get a taxi and the costs weren't too bad since the hotel was so central to all the areas we toured. Staff was warm and attentive. We had dinner several times in the Lounge & room service, which was quick & delicious. they make a great, huge cappuccinos! Highly recommend this hotel if you're visiting London!

Room Tip: Twin rooms are larger than king rooms in some parts of hotel. We stayed in room 310, which was on t...
1 Thank marylandmomBelAir_Md
Dear Reviewer,
Thanks for your excellent post and for highly recommending us! I’m thrilled that you loved our beautiful hotel. We have undergone a full refurbishment here at The Grosvenor and have restored the building to its former Victorian glory. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

chose this hotel for its location near to theater we were going to (wicked) as its only 2mins walk away,.Its an ideal location for Buckingham palace and Westminster area and central London.
The reception staff very friendly and helpful, we checked in early and left our bag which was delivered up to our room, we went into the cocktail bar for an afternoon drink a little pricey but your in London dont like service charge adding to bill i like to pay if service is good but most hotels do it this way now. The cocktail bar can be a little dark depending on where you sit, but staff helpful and pleasant.Our room was on top floor a bit of a treck to get to, have to use two lifts to get to top floor.When in side found room on small side, bathroom also small but with everything you need, including a very good shower, the beds very comfy and we slept well, heard some tannoy announcements from victoria station but not intrusive.we had a view from window which was better than some we have had whilst staying in London.Breakfast was hot and plentiful if having English and plenty of cold choice if not.All the staff we came across where helpful and polite, a good place to stay.

Room Tip: try to book a room on first 4 floors
Dear Reviewer,
Thanks for your post and for your kind comments regarding my team which I will enjoy sharing with them. We do have an excellent location here at The Grosvenor with both Billy Elliott and Wicked just steps away from the Hotel. I hope to welcome you back on your next trip to London.
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Given room 616. I had to stand with the bathroom door open in order to stand in front of the mirror to shave. Whilst fittings were new and tasteful, the owners / management must be very cynical if they believe this room is of an acceptable size for the class of hotel they aspire to be. I came down the following week (yesterday) and asked the company to put me in a different hotel.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank IanBrown1311
Dear Reviewer,
Thanks for your post. Due to the age of our building we do have varying different shaped and sized rooms here at The Grosvenor. I was disappointed to read that you requested a different hotel for your next trip to London; if you do decide to give us another chance, please contact me directly and I will ensure that you are allocated one of our larger rooms for your future stays.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 12 August 2014

This hotel is in a great location and the building is beautiful. The potential for wonderful was there but was let down by mostly average service and lack of organization, although a few individuals rose to the occasion. For the price paid and the grandeur of the hotel we were expecting much better.
Although the breakfast buffet was plentiful with a good selection, most of the servers in the breakfast room were lacking. Although they were quick to pour the first cup of coffee or tea, it was rare they'd come around to refill without having to ask for it and if you went back to get something else from the buffet the old plates were rarely cleared away. One morning we were missing some cutlery in our settings and when asked if she'd bring some, she snapped she was busy at the moment (which she was). She never did bring it so we grabbed some from another table on our own. We had dinner in the restaurant twice and I'm happy to report the service was the exact opposite from breakfast - very tentative.
The rooms were recently updated but I was disappointed there was no chest of drawers or shelves in our room to unpack clothes (for our 2 week stay). We asked for more hangers and they brought us 6 more. They also weren't the greatest at remembering to replenish the coffee supplies. We started out in a room across from a service door which slammed every 5 minutes or so, which was very irritating so we asked them to move us. They did this quickly but this room wasn't as well laid out as the original room. Something that bothered me a lot was hall windows left open - 2 of the outside ledges were reasonable, but the 3rd one was so covered with bird poop it was really off-putting. Why clean off only 2 of them?
A real highlight for us was access to the Club Lounge that came with our room. From 5-9 pm, they offered a great selection of drinks, snacks and hors d'oeuvres. The service in there was wonderful, especially Zahir (hope I got his name right), who was actually a trainee. His service was better than anyone else we had dealings with during our stay.
Will we be back? Hmmm - good question. As I said, tons of potential, but unless they get a training plan to organize their staff better, I think I can get better value and service for my money elsewhere. Pity, really.

Room Tip: We were in Room 312 - no chest of drawers.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for such a comprehensive post. I regret that we let you down during your stay with us in particular at breakfast; this is an area we are currently focusing on improving and I hope that if you do give us another chance you will get the opportunity to see the improvements we are making. I’m pleased that you enjoyed our Executive lounge and will pass on your kind comments to my team. I hope to welcome you back in the future.