“Pander to Couples....”

The Grosvenor Hotel
Ranked #186 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 31 August 2014

I was travelling solo. I had completed a transatlantic flight, asked for a quiet room and was put in a room at the front of the hotel. The street noise woke me, and thankfully I regained my sleep, only to awake to a noise in the A/C system (which was turned OFF). I called the desk, and was escorted to a quiet room. The next morning prior to my scheduled outing, I began to speak to the Manager about having my belongings moved to the new location. He was so busy waving and smiling to the male and/or couples clientele that he could not maintain eye contact nor interest in my request. I walked away in disgust. That was that. I would have thought an effort might be made to apologize. I was a guest in this hotel 2 weeks later. The front desk showed no interest in a single female traveller who stayed 3 nights on two occasions.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Mary L
IanFletcher, General Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Dear Reviewer,
Thanks for your post. I was really disappointed to read your comments regarding your stay here at The Grosvenor. We pride ourselves on our customer service and I regret that this was not the case in your experience with us. Please contact me directly should you decide to give us another chance and I will speak to my Relationship Manager who will look after you personally and ensure that you have a memorable stay with us for the right reasons.

There are newer reviews for The Grosvenor Hotel

Reviewed 30 August 2014

Staff were polite, pictures are exactly has it's shown on their website, surroundings were beautiful.
Hotel is located in a good area, easy access to transport. My stay was a very pleasant one and would recommend this hotel and would visit the hotel again.

Room Tip: The Delux room (double) on the 4th floor was lovely and there was no noise level.

Dear Reviewer,
Thanks for your fantastic post. The team and I look forward to welcoming you back for another visit with us here at The Grosvenor.

Reviewed 29 August 2014

We (husband, 7 year old) stayed here for three nights from July 30th to August 2nd. This trip, London, Paris and Greece was a 50th birthday present. I had stayed in the Grosvenor back in the late 90’s and enjoyed it very much hence the reason for picking it again on this trip.

We arrived via express train from Gatwick – the hotel recommended this as a taxi would take longer and cost much more. The room wasn’t ready so we walked down the Buckingham Palace. A couple of hours later, we checked in. The room was in the wing, it was nicely decorated but a bit small with the extra bed. I noticed a few hours later that there was no hairdryer in the room so called housekeeping. Half hour later, still nothing so I called again….and waited. After an hour, I was disappointed. My husband went down to the front desk and spoke to the manager. He explained I had stayed here before, it was my birthday, I had called 2x for a hairdryer and upset with the lack of service. The manager apologized and immediately said he would upgrade us in a larger room right away. WOW – unexpected! As someone who has been in the customer service industry for 30+ years, how you recover from a service issue can go a long way. This certainly did. Not only that, when we were taken to our room we were told they would like to send us up a bottle of wine and what was our preference, red or white. Plus they asked what our son would like to drink.

Room
As mentioned the rooms are comfy and nicely decorated. The second room was 652 in the wing…we had fun trying to find it a couple of times (it was an Executive King room). It was spacious and had a nice big shower.

Location:
Victoria station is right there and it’s about a 15 minute walk to Buckingham Palace plus many more places of interest.

Breakfast:
Lots of variety: eggs, bacon, potatoes, fruit, cheese…plenty to fill you up before you leave for the day.

We would definitely stay in this hotel again. The lobby is lovely, it’s very clean and very well run. The location is great and the staff are very helpful. Thank you Grosvenor for a memorable stay!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank SusW

Dear Reviewer,
Thanks for taking the time to write such a comprehensive post. We have made a lot of changes since you last stayed with us in the 90’s and I do hope you liked what we have done to the hotel. I’m delighted you chose to stay with us for such a special occasion but disappointed that your simple request for a hairdryer was not granted, this will certainly be addressed with our Housekeeping team. We appreciate the importance of service recovery and I’m pleased that our Manager changed your initial disappointment to a WOW and you found our team to be very helpful. With our ideal location here in the hub of Victoria The Grosvenor is an excellent choice of venue to stay in London. We do hope you won’t leave it so long to stay with us again.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

The hotel is located in a great area, within walking distance to Buckingham Palace, the London Eye, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, and many beautiful churches. It is also next to the Victoria train station which offers many cheaper places to dine. There is also a pharmacy and supermarket right next store. The rooms are a little small, however, they are comfortable and very clean. The bathrooms are newer and they offer all the amenities you need. The gym is small, but it does the job. My room was also quiet, it faced the main street, but the windows seemed to block the noise. I was on the sixth floor and had a great view of the sunset. I had the continental breakfast for 17.95 pound which wasn’t really worth it, it wasn’t bad, but there are better cheaper options in the area. The hotel restaurant Brassiere has great dinner choices, I highly recommend the ribeye. The Victoria bar across the street also has great fish and chips. The only reason the hotel didn’t get 5 stars was because the staff (front desk and restaurant)were often very rude, with the exception of the concierge desk, they were very friendly. Great value, great food, clean rooms and a good location.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Reviewer,
Thanks for your post. The Grosvenor does have a great location here at Victoria with many tourist attractions within walking distance and the train, tube and bus terminals right on our doorstep as well as local convenience stores and other dining options. Our hotel was built in 1862 with the wing added in 1910 and we have recently completed extensive refurbishment works. Thank you for recommending the ribeye, I will certainly pass your compliments to the Chef. I was disappointed to read that the service you received from our restaurant and front office team prevented us from achieving 5 stars but pleased you found our Concierge team very friendly. I will certainly look into any training issues in order for us to turn this around and achieve 5 stars on your next visit. We do hope to welcome you back for another stay soon.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

Stayed from 24th -26th August 2014. Was a little worried about noise because of the location but it is the quietest hotel we have ever stayed at in London. We had Executive King room 504 and although the view was not the best we have had (overlooking roof of station) it is by far the largest and had a great bathroom with a lovely rain shower and hand held shower over the bath. The Executive Lounge was very good too and the staff were very friendly and attentive, excellent breakfast and drink selection. although the food selection between 5 and 9 was not that great (little pieces of pizza and some savoury tarts), but as we were going out for dinner it didnt really bother us. All staff we met from check in to departure were very friendly and helpful. This will definitely be our first choice of hotel for our future trips to London. Also nice to receive bottle of wine and a card on arrival for our anniversary. Thanks for a lovely break.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms would definitely be the quietest and it is worth paying the extra for a room with...

Dear Reviewer,
Thanks for your post and making us your first choice for your future trips to London. I’m delighted you chose to stay with us for such a special occasion and were looked after by our team. Our Executive rooms offer those extra special touches to enhance our guests stay with the added bonus of having access to our Executive Lounge with complimentary drinks and nibbles. We look forward to welcoming you back for another excellent break soon.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

We just got back from our wonderful stay at the hotel. We originally had booked the standard double room, if you are okay living out of your luggage and room was very small. We asked to look at other rooms, so Jamal Kissai from concierge took us to the Deluxe double, still not much lager than then the standard double. He recommended that we look at the Executive king and it was spacious and also had drawers to put your clothes in, so we would not have to live out of our suitcase for 4 days. Just a word of caution, the first room we got assigned, you took an elevator and then had to walk a flight of stairs, no direct access with elevators.
The staff there were all very helpful and friendly, just a shout out to Jamal Kissai and Sarah Jane Suett from concierge were both very helpful during out stay.
Breakfast was very good with a good variety of selections of hot and cold items. I also have to agree with others, that the left side of the room is more attentive and I felt I got better service on that side. One morning we sat on the right side and no one even acknowledged us after we were seated., we had to ask for the coffee/tea and also for the toast.

Room Tip: Get the Executive King rooms, unless you want to live out of your suitcase during your stay.

Dear Reviewer,
Thanks for your post. It’s fantastic when our team members receive a personal mention and I will certainly share your feedback with Jamal and Sarah-Jane. The Grosvenor was built in 1862 with the wing section added in 1910 and has a variety of different shaped and sized rooms. I regret that your allocated room was not suitable for you but pleased that this was rectified by our team. Thank you for bringing your breakfast experience to my attention, this will greatly assist us in dealing with working the service shortfalls in this area. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

I would definitely recommend staying at The Grosvenor. The concierge was extremely helpful with directions, check in was easy, breakfast wonderful! Great location being attached to Victoria Station. Clean, ample size room recently re-modeled. I would definitely stay here again.

1  Thank Cathy B

Dear Reviewer,
Thanks for your post and awarding us five stars. The team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.