“Great building ...shame about the food!”
Review of The Booking Office

The Booking Office
Ranked #1,142 of 22,659 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$13 - US$46
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Situated in the original station's ticket hall, the Booking Office Bar & Restaurant at St Pancras Renaissance Hotel is one of the most inspirational places to enjoy a drink in the City. Reviving the tradition of the station cafe, the cathedral-like drama of the space, combined with 29m-long bar and menu serving classic British dishes, are conversation-stoppers at any time of day. A striking setting for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner, the Booking Office also offers an array of punches and mixed drinks recreated from lost recipes from the Victorian era, as well as a range of bespoke and seasonal cocktails.
London, United Kingdom
“Great building ...shame about the food!”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Following a most disappointing dinner I had at the Booking Office yesterday evening, I felt compelled to write and share my experience.

As I was a guest of my colleagues, it was not appropriate for me to voice my concerns then, although I did tell our waitress as I left just after 10pm, and she said she had noticed that I had left a fair amount on my plate and would share this with you, the Restaurant Manager.

I ordered the Sirloin Steak and was quite excited when it arrived on plates which were too hot to handle – but this was my first disappointment as on trying my first bite, the steak was only just tepid, some may say it was almost cold.

Even taking into account a ‘resting time’, it should have been served much hotter, but I continued my meal and then as I cut into the steak, I found that almost half of it was fat and gristle – not something I expect in a steak especially at a cost of £25!

We then agreed to share a Lemon Meringue dessert, only to have this request followed up with the news that the chef has informed our waitress that this was not available - another disappointment and I wonder if it would have been available if we had been dining in the Gilbert Scott Restaurant, as I see the same item is offered on their menu?

As I mentioned, it would have been ungracious for me to have complained in front of my hosts, but I feel that you should know of my experience in the hope that you can improve things as I know the restaurant has received mixed reviews since it opened

I look forward to your thoughts and comments

2 Thank S G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Vence, France
“Spectacular bar”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Stunning location in the old railroad building. Loved the excellent drinks, good staff... Highly recommended! Will come back...

Visited April 2014
seaford
“Terrible breakfast”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We have had just had a two night Easter break at the hotel, which in the main was absolutely perfect. However, far from perfect was the breakfast we had at the Booking Office on the morning of our departure. I know that a buffet breakfast is never going to rival one which is cooked freshlto order, but even so this was really poor. To serve bacon which was so dry and brittle was frankly an insult, the mushrooms were so watery, and the scrambled eggs pure slop. We had to remove alien food items from some of the cloches, which presumably was as a result of the serving spoons being so dirty. On top of this everything was either cold or just luke warm.
We did complain at the time and again at check out. Apologies were given but this level of standard is really not acceptable and does this fine hotel no favours.

2 Thank pomegranateseaford
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Top choice”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

The Booking Office Bar & Restaurant is top notch. We dined here on a not so busy Good Friday around 7pm. The prices were reasonable, the service was impeccable and the food delicious. The 'soup of the day' came in a generous portion with a basket of bread, all nicely presented and a feast for the eyes. The 'veg sandwich' was served with a small salad on the side, chips in a small bucket and the sandwich itself was thin bread layers with a generous mixed grilled vegetables stuffing. The waiter came around to fill our glasses whenever they were empty. I don't see this happening in many restaurants. Note that 12.5 % service charge are automatically added to the bill.

Live music was playing (singer & guitarist) that evening. The waiter informed us that a DJ would be performing from 10pm onwards.

We will definitely return. It's a special place to enjoy drinks or a meal in style and it's only two minutes walk (down the stairs) to St. Pancras Station. This would be an ideal restaurant choice if you rely on the tube to get home/to your hotel as many tube lines pass through St. Pancras or should you be waiting for the Eurostar.

In a nutshell: Loved the setting. Loved the ambience. Loved the food.

London
“Possibly the worst dining experience I've ever had in London”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Its going to be tricky to write this review without reverting to 'Viz' level vocabulary, and I'm not sure how TripAdvisor feels about alley-cat linguistics, but here goes... After a flight and a fairly long day at work - we wanted a quick but nice bite to eat before getting a train home. In hindsight, I should have bought a value bucket from KFC - at least then I'd have had a fun cardboard hat to wear after the experience. Since the GNH opened, everything about the Renaissance has felt overpriced and tired - and this bar/restaurant/not sure what it is, is no exception. A shared starter, Fish and Chips, a Burger, 2 beers and 1 cocktail ended up coming in at about £95 (naturally including their added on 12.5% for service above and beyond the call of duty...) - Fine if either the food OR the atmosphere/experience were even bearable - but neither were. My main problems with this place;
- reclined low seats that are about as fun to eat from as Pol Pot's lap
- dreadfully slow service in a non-busy restaurant
- several servers per table, none of whom seemed to have a clue what was going on - one of which spoke no English. at all. Perhaps the reason the wrong meal arrived first before heading on to someone else's table (I'd have sent it back)
- unimaginative menu that isn't "simple food done well" its just "simple food reheated"
- vastly expensive for its quality
- SLOW. Not forgivably slow. Irritably slow. Think I mentioned that before - but just to affirm.

The building is ok - its stunning from the outside but its kind of underwhelming once inside - they've not used the best space they have and the cheap furniture and sounds of people dying whilst they wait for their overpriced micro-meals kills the vibe completely.

Top Tip - go to the GNH if you want a la carte or go to Carluccio's on the concourse if you're in a rush or want to savour what is a beautiful part of the station. Or go to KFC and get a bucket hat - thats what I'll do next time.

2 Thank CJJamieson