“Excellent, would highly recommend”

PubLove at The Great Eastern
Ranked #231 of 573 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Stayed here for a few days early September last year.

Excellent service, friendly bar staff and the room was great as well.

Good location for getting about London on the DLR and tube.

Anytime I am back in London I will be stating here!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 5 January 2014

This was a post Xmas and pre New year booking I made on account of the low cost during this period and I can honestly say, If I'm staying in London for just a couple of nights with minimum luggage, I would recommend it. Mostly I ended up carrying my luggage all over London during the 2/3 days I was there, although I'm sure the staff would have been more than happy to put my backpack in storage at the back of the hostel. But I didn't like to trouble them as they always seemed busy.

The hostel seems to function as a local pub at night, as a lot of the people drinking in the evening appeared to be from the surrounding area, but it was quiet and trouble free during my time there.

The breakfast was toast, cereal and coffee or tea which was more than adequate.

My only real concern was the smell in the upstairs shower and toilet, which was broken but people were still using it since it hadn't been labelled up as 'out of order'. Other than that the hostel was very clean and the bed linen spotless, however the rooms seemed a bit cramped and stacked 3 high.

Overall I thought it was good value for money. The location was very convenient for Greenwich and it was easy to get to, if you followed the instructions from the station.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank geckofabulous
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I am used to staying in hostels for short breaks, and I don't really care about luxury - it does not take a lot more than a good shower and a good bed to make me happy. Moreover, I was able to book my stay with a 85% discount for £ 7.99 a night (incl. breakfast) via another website, so normally I would not complain. However, I would never stay here again, not even for this price. The toilets and showers are not very clean. The bedspaces are low - you are unable to sit up in your bed. The lockers are big enough for a small handbag but not for a laptop. There is no space on the floor to leave luggage and no space to lay your clothes, dry your towels etc. I did not feel very safe there either - when you book in, you get the code to the front door and the bedroom door - there is no key that you hand back when you leave. Also, as the entrance to the hostel is at the back of a pub, there is no control on who enters the hostel and the rooms. Therefore, theoretically, anyone who has ever stayed and knows the codes, can come back at any time for whatever purpose and just walk from the pub straight into a room. One night during my stay, the manager had to call the police as there was a guy in the hostel who was aggressive and refused to say in which bed he was sleeping. It all felt very creepy and I was glad I could leave the next day.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank LisaB936
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I was in the hostel for 7 nights,the bed was really unconfortable so i asked to change with a new one but unfortunately also the second bed was completly broken and terrible so I coulden't sleep well and it's not the best when u are there to attend a course to improve your job.It's not possible to shut the window completly so during the night it seems to be in the north pole.The bathroom at the first floor is only with 3 sinks,2 toilets and 2 showers to share in about 3 rooms,around 30 persons.The breakfast is very simple with cereals and just one jam,always on the bottom of the jar also if u had breakfast at the 8 in the morning.Internet connection is a bit slow.I paied the same price for better hostels with more things(tent over the bed,fridge,kitchen) and in a best central area in London.I won't go anymore in that hostel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I arrived here after a long travel and to be told my room wasn't ready even though I arrived after the check in time and was told I had to pay double what I was told and the rate I booked for no manager on site to solve problems so I was left 2 sort all my self I will not be staying here again the beds are ridiculous 3 up the person on the bottom has to be v bendy as they are so low down defiantly won't be staying or recommending to friends

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Nathan R
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I stayed here with a friend, for about three nights and I have been thoroughly impressed. The bedding was clean, staff very friendly, and location was not that bad. For paying around 15 pounds per night per person I was quite content. The location is about 20 minutes from tower hill, and 30 from westminster. Another plus on location is it is about 5 minutes to Greenwich, which was one of my favorite parts of London. My friend and I, both 18 year old females, were in a 9 bedroom mixed dorm. It was awesome, we met some nice people! The only complaint is that in our 9 dorm beds there was mostly guys, which meant it had a heavy smell of axe (or of man as we call it). We were definitely grateful for the window! Although everybody in our room was very kind, and we all had a good time. The breakfast is cereal and toast. The staff is always willing to start a convo, and all of them are friendly. Definitely staying here next time!

Room Tip: If you are shy try and get an all of your same gender room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I'm currently writing this view sat eating breakfast at The Great Eastern! I stayed here with the Fresh! Backpackers company and I was delighted with the service I received. The lack of curfew meant I could arrive at 11pm and checkin was very fast and the staff were lovely. The room was ever so clean, and the bathroom spotless too. Wifi is also decent! Breakfast was free with the deal and I was pleasantly surprised. Only cereal or toast available and hot drinks, but for the price - i'm not complaining! :) Thankyou for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: July 2013