“Drinks and a game”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Clerkenwell
Reviewed 8 February 2014

This pub is great to watch a game and have a relaxing drink. With a large screen, projector and ample seating, this makes for a great atmosphere to enjoy your favourite sport. The service was good and the food was delicious and well-priced. The staff were friendly and overall this was a lovely experience.

Will definitely be going back.

TheBowlerEC1, Owner at The Bowler Pub and Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear KAD86_UK

Thank your for your review. I do appreciate people taking the time to write their views on this forum, and even more pleased to read a glowing report.

Until the next game!

Best

Reviewed 31 January 2014

We visited The Bowler for a work lunch this afternoon, having intially booked a table for 8 another 5 colleagues decided they wanted to come too - being a bar we did not see this as being an issue.

On arrival the waiter serving us was instantly rude and commented 'you should have booked for more, its easier to remove a table then add one' - not greatful for the extra custom, instead making us feel like we were an inconvenience.

When taking our food order the same red faced waiter was again rude to 3 colleagues who had decided to just have a drink rather than eat, again making us feel like we had inconvenienced him by making him move table when some were only having a drink.

The service didn't improve... when the food eventually arrived (after nearly and hour) one of our orders was wrong and another was missed and when we questioned this we were again treated like an inconvenience. The angry waiter who had taken the order butted into a conversation being had with the manager and said aggressively 'people shouldn't come into a restaurant and move tables' when we replied that this was outrageous customer service, he then replied 'well the customer isn't always right'. Not making any apology for missing the order in the first place.

Needless to say neither myself or the rest of my colleagues will ever visit this pub again. We will stick to the Wilmington & Exmouth Arms where customers are treated decently and would recommend others do to.

1  Thank J0nes86
TheBowlerEC1, Owner at The Bowler Pub and Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

Dear JOnes86

Further to your review I would like to thank you for taking the time and effort to write your opinion. I find it invaluable to receive feedback whether its positive or negative such as yours, so that I can continually improve on the experience we offer our guests and as such are extremely grateful that you have done so.

At The Bowler we take the greatest of pride in providing the highest standards of customer service in all areas and at all times and as such it is a disappointment to learn that we fell short of this on this occasion. I can assure you that a full investigation has taken place regarding your complaint, all relevant staff have been spoken to and where necessary appropriate measures have been put in place to prevent any type of reoccurrence.

This is a situation that we do not take lightly and that relevant training sessions will take place with our entire team to ensure that our service standards are at the highest level we insist on. Please do accept the apologies of the management team for the unacceptable delays and shortfalls in service on the day and any resultant displeasure caused to you.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

Throughout the 3 games the service was excellent, friendly, and efficient. Food was fantastic, scotch egg heaven and heart stopping nachos. The manager has really taken out all the stops to ensure that the customers get exactly the type of atmosphere a rugby fan would want. If you do want to sit down, then definitely book ahead, but plenty of room to stand, jump up and down and yell as well.
Would like to say thank you to the team for going that extra mile with the sticky toffee puddings at the end of the evening. Will be returning to work my way through more of the menu later.

Reviewed 7 November 2012

I have been to the Bowler on multiple occasions now, and was never left disappointed. Their service, food and drink are always good. I have also been here on 2 occasions for work functions and the finger food and service for these big corporate events were fantastic! Everybody could not stop mentioning how nice the food was in comparison to the normal buffet style we are used to on nights like this.
If you are in the area, be sure not to miss out - especially for BUrger Wednesday!

TheBowlerEC1, Owner at The Bowler Pub and Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2012

HI

Many thanks for your review, I am happy you have had a good night with us.
i look forward to seeing you here again soon.

Reviewed 21 June 2012

I came across this pup while searching for a place to watch the Euro 2012. It took me some time to to find a bar that would show the France vs Sweden game so I called the Bowler Pub to double check if they are going to show the game to be sure, before I arranged to meet my friends there. I was assured they have a few TVs and on one of them they will show that match.

When I was in the bar watching the beginning of the game the manager came and simply changed the TV channel to the England vs Ukraine game. When I tried to explain I arranged to meet my friends here just because I was assured they will show the French/Swedish game he simply said that perhaps more people will like to watch the English game.

So I would say they have no respect for the customer. And fair enough more people wanted to watch the English game (which they could do on the other 2 screens!) but why would you lie over the phone then? Very unprofessional and appalling customer service. I will never ever again go to this place that made me feel terrible and just spoiled the day for me and my friends.

The place itself was just an old shabby pub and the food was very expensive for the quality you get. I would not recommend this pub to anyone, if you want to go to a place with a nice friendly atmosphere and receive some good customer service - avoid the Bowler Pub! There are plenty nice bars and pubs around in the area that you can go to instead.

TheBowlerEC1, Owner at The Bowler Pub and Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Euro 2012 TV Mix Up.
Apologies for the mix up in TV viewing, the French game was screened on the bar TV while the England game was shown on the lounge and dining room screens. in order to stop this confusion in the future we have added a notice to each TV advertising the games that are going to be shown on that particular screen.
The Bowler is installing sky sports for this up coming premier league season and so the TV's will be independent of each other therefore allowing separate sports to be screened.
I am Sorry for the guest that had they night spoiled, and have addressed the screen issues with all staff in order to prevent this in the future.
Lee (Owner)