“Fresh food doesn't explain astonishing price tag!”
Review of Birley Sandwiches

Birley Sandwiches
Ranked #15,032 of 23,713 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: City of London
Reviewed 22 October 2013

The whole experience is a real disappointment. From terrible customer service, to a huge bill. Food is fresh and made in front of you but portion sizes are small and the price is ridiculous. Salads are assembled as requested, but be warned, you pay per selection so prices quickly rise out of control. Staff are less than accommodating, when asking for something not on the menu or slightly off track, be prepared for rude remarks. Wont be going back.

2  Thank 678lily

Reviewed 16 October 2013

I have no problem with the service at this place at all, but I do have a problem with paying £10 for a salad! You build your own salad up, starting with leaves (or pasta) and add in whatever you want...I thought i'd gone lean selecting just two slices of salmon and some veg... got to the till and was told that each slice of salmon was £2 !

The lady at the till was not at all surprised at my raised eyebrows at the cost - she quickly explained it was "because of the salmon" and explained it was detailed on the board, so obviously i'm not the only person to have said something!

At £10 for a salad, I don't think I will be going back. I'd rather sit in at a decent restaurant and most likely get charged less.
Birleys - sort your prices out!!!

6  Thank NicolaBeck
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Birleys Birleys Birleys, what on earth has happened to you? over 2 years ago you had the best sandwich and salad bar around, now you're over-priced, under-portioned and ripping people off, not to mention the abysmal customer service!

If you're on a diet and are trying to get rid of money before the tax-man catches up with you, this is your place! Building a salad comprises of picking either leaves or leaves and cous cous or pasta - this alone costs around £4.00. Impressively you can then add any veg (1 tiny teaspoon full) for around 75p, that's for roughly 4 halves of cherry tomatoes. For £1.50 you can add roughly 3x wafer strips of chicken 'breast'. All in all, building a salad which has the same ingredients as a pret, eat etc and tastes exactly the same will cost between £7-£10.

Sandwiches are awful!

Don't get me started on the coffee!

Stay away, stay very away!

3  Thank Ben E
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I have been to Birleys (Essex Street WC2R) a number of times over the last 3 years as our office is just across the road at the Royal Courts of Justice. We have over 100 staff and more often then not were coming back complaining about the cost of extra's Birley's try to charge. My most recent visit I decided to create a salad. Only the basic leaves are included in the £5 price, every other ingredient is extra. So by the time you fill it with some chicken, bacon, sundried tomato's etc the price suddenly more than doubles so you are left shell-shocked walking out with a take away salad for more than a tenner.

My last (I will never go again and have told my office to boycott the place) experience was yesterday. I decided I wanted a salt beef sandwhich which at £5.75 is acceptable based on quality, I noticed they also do hot roast beef at exactly the same price of £5.75. I politely asked if I could have a mix of both versions of the beef in my sandwich but was told I WILL HAVE TO CHARGE YOU EXTRA...ITS THE RULES! Same sized sandwich, same 2 options of beef, same price but as we don't believe in any customer service and are greedy we will levy a fine on you.

Never again. I've just worked out that if an average 20 staff from my office used to go there and spend the minimum £5 they have just lost £2,500 a year. Go to Pret - Less than half the price with 10 times the customer service and a warm welcome every time....

2  Thank Grant P
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Arrived in London early yesterday (7:30) and was looking for somewhere to have breakfast away from the big chains. I bumped into the conveniently located Birley Sandwches restaurant and their window display enticed me to go in. Huge selection and friendly service have done the rest.