“Fantastic cooking class in intimate home setting” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hashi Cooking
Ranked #19 of 145 Classes & Workshops in London
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Fantastic cooking class in intimate home setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

Really enjoyed this cooking class with Reiko. Reiko herself was quite astounded to hear that her class was in the top 10 things to do in London on TripAdvisor. It isn't necessarily a thing for 'tourists' to do while here in London, but if you like cooking then hey who I am to say you shouldn't go along. I would definitely recommend it for couples, singles, or small groups who enjoy cooking and want to learn how to make some really tasty Japanese food - whether tourists or locals.

It was held in an intimate setting in Reiko's house in her own kitchen with just a small group of lovely people. Reiko's kitchen is quite impressive and had plenty of room for a few people to sit around and watch what she was doing and how she was cooking everything right there in front of you, and to enjoy some green tea, the meal and glasses of wine in good company. We got to try our hand at making dumplings, and we were very impressed with our efforts (even if I do say so myself!).

Reiko also gave us some hints where in London to buy the ingredients, along with a booklet of suppliers and the recipes of what we made.

It was really tasty food and we are looking forward to trying to make the recipes again ourselves. Reiko was lovely and we will no doubt go back another time to one of her other classes.

2 Thank xj0r

London
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Demystifying Japanese Cooking with Reiko Hashimoto”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

I first met Reiko Hashimoto for her Sushi & Sashimi Class in May 07. Since that first fateful encounter, I have attended most of Reiko’s classes, met the most delightful people and learnt a great deal about Japanese cuisine and culture.

All classes are held at Reiko’s beautiful home in Wimbledon Park for a small number of people. Sitting by her spacious kitchen island with other Japanese food aficionados, Reiko demonstrates in great detail all dishes to be cooked on the day. The informal and friendly setting, coupled with Reiko’s contagious enthusiasm, gets everyone talking and asking questions, more like a “cooking party” at a friend’s house.

Ingredients are already prepared, and no time is taken washing or chopping them. Involvement is highly encouraged, but attention is focussed mostly on learning the various techniques, like the different ways of rolling sushi, preparing Japanese omelette (tamago), or assembling and frying tempura.

In addition to the Sushi & Sashimi Class on Saturdays, Reiko also runs 4-session evening courses. These are designed for students who would like to learn about Japanese food in greater depth and are held at all levels – from Beginners, Home Cooking and Gourmet, to Master Chef.

Classes are not necessarily taken in this order – starting at the Gourmet level, I then took the Home Cooking and Master Chef courses - all very different in nature but equally enjoyable. At the end of the four courses, participants will have learnt how to prepare more than 60 delicious Japanese dishes which can easily be recreated in their own kitchen. All classes’ menus can be found at Hashi Cooking’s website.

I recently returned to Hashi Cooking and was lucky enough to take part in the last session of this season’s Gourmet Course. As usual I was welcomed by an eclectic group of students – the gorgeous Bann (a dentist of Iraqi descent), Amy (a charming Malaysian architect), Alex (the Law student), who at 21, was given Reiko’s course as a gift and was thoroughly enjoying himself, and Arly, a Norwegian fellow who lived in Japan for years and can speak fluent Japanese.

We started the evening with a demonstration of one of my favourite dishes “Cha Soba – Green Tea Flavoured Noodles with Squid and Spicy Yakumi Sauce”. The Yakumi Sauce had just right amount of spiciness and the combination of squid, minced pork, coriander and the green tea noodles was delicious.

The “Tofu Steak with Japanese Mushrooms in Soy Butter Sauce” is, in my opinion, an excellent introduction to Tofu: a wonderful Japanese ingredient, sadly unloved by the Western palate. Reiko’s recipe uses buttered Japanese mushrooms, like shiitake, shimeji and enoki, and crisply fried tofu steaks to convert even the most sceptical of foodies.

An interesting addition to this season’s menu was “Roasted Butterflied Chicken Marinated with White Miso & Ginger Paste” – the meat soaked up the sweet white miso and ginger paste beautifully as it roasted, also helping to keep the meat moist and tender.

The star of the evening however was Reiko’s signature dish – “Grilled Scallops on Sushi Rice with Creamy Spicy Sauce”. I have made this dish many times at home whenever I am cooking Japanese food for friends - it is one of the best dishes of all her courses. The flying fish roe, seaweed, scallops in sushi rice topped with the creamy, spicy sauce combine very well together. A real winner.

Being half-Japanese, I always felt I knew the food of my ancestors – Reiko made me re-consider this while helping me to replicate some of the flavours of my childhood I had long lost.

I have great respect for what Reiko has achieved over the years, which is to de-mystify what to so many people wrongly seems an overly sophisticated and expensive cuisine based solely on raw fish, while making real Japanese cuisine available to thousands of people in the UK.

I would highly recommend Hashi Cooking to anyone wanting to learn more about Japanese food and culture, meet some fascinating people on the way and eat the most scrumptious food!

See my full review with pictures at www.thelondonfoodie.co.uk

2 Thank thelondonfoodie
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“The best cookery class I have been to, I am hooked!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

Reiko welcomes you into her home with a cup of green tea and a quick 'get to know everyone' chat. She then takes you through step by step recipes with as much or as little participation as you would like. Whilst cooking, tips are shared and suppliers and restaurants are recommended from both Reiko and guests. At the end of the class you have the most fulfilling and delicious supper of all that has been cooked, good wine and good conversation that leaves you wanting to book more classes!

5 Thank Milli24
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“First class teacher and lesson!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

I have attended two of Reiko's classes and currently undergoing one. I love how Reiko teaches and she's very generous with her knowledge. Not only she teaches the dishes she has set for the class, she also includes tips that help to make a successful dishes. Her teaching skills made it easy for me to recreate the dishes at home and I always look forward to attending her class and learn new recipes.

If you want to learn how to cook Japanese food, this is the place to be!

Visited September 2010
2 Thank F00dGal
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just Perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

I've been to many cookery classes but Hashi Cooking always been my favorite, Reiko take the classes to another level, very professinal and with friendliness that made come back many times, her delicious recipes are easy to follow and always leave my guests very impressed , her attention to details is impressive from the freshness of the ingredients to the way that the food is presented on beatiful dishes with very high standards, I'm so looking forward to her first book.

Visited September 2010