“Just a look”

London Grim Reaper Walking Tour
Ranked #9 of 737 Shopping in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Iconic St Katharine Docks is Central London's only marina and has evolved into a thriving waterside community featuring modern and unusual office space, luxury homes and quayside dining and shopping. A stone's throw from the Tower of London, the site has a fascinating history. Opening in 1828, the Thomas Telford-designed dock was once one of the busiest ports in the UK, renowned for handling luxury goods, sugar, rum, spices, perfumes, wines and tea. Today, St Katharine Docks is home to a range of leading companies and brands including tech incubator Rainmaking Loft, Tom's Kitchen, CAU, Bravas Tapas and artisan coffee shop White Mulberries. Every Friday, the Docks hosts the popular World Food Market, serving some of the capital's best street food.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Stafford, United Kingdom
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Just a look”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

A jolly nice walk and some interesting boats, you get the feel for the history so close to Tower bridge and the Tower itself.

Don't bother to sit at the cafe tables, you will wait and wait, poor service that would not be appreciated elsewhere, so take a coffee if you must but do so at the local Starbucks. - service is what they have.

Anyhow good to watch the boats entering the dock and the lift bridges operating, there are some lovely old tubs from Harwich and some posh launches too, certainly worth an hours mooch but make it part of a trek around to All Hallows' etc.

Visited May 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Belgravia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Nice place to be in London in the summer.”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

As it was a nice day we decided to stop off at the docks on the way to a restaurant in Wapping. The docks are small but good to spend half an hour looking at the various boats, an hour if there is an event on or if you want to stop for a coffee. There are nice outdoor seating areas for coffee shops and restaurants. These are unfortunately mostly chains not independents. The Dickens Inn is a nice big pub worth a visit. All in, worth a visit if for lunch or combined with another local attraction.

Visited May 2014
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“St. Katharine's Rent-A-Cops Harassed me while photographing Tower Bridge”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I have been London three times and I have never had any issue taking photos until my recent trip where the rent-a-cops at St. Katharine Docks publicly harassed me while shooting. I was not in any building, business, or private location, but on the outside attempting to photograph Tower Bridge at night using my tripod.

I was informed I could not use my tripod because it was "a tripping hazard". I asked the rent-a-cop to show me where it said I could not use a tripod and all he said was, "I"m telling you".

St. Katharine Docks is a beautiful place, but my experience was ruined by the horrible rent-a-cops . I am not even certain why they have rent-a-cops policing a public area. I was later informed I could purchase a waiver from the rent-a-cop agency that would allow me to use my tripod during my photography.

Visited April 2014
5 Thank Jmycal
Wetherby, United Kingdom
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Would be brilliant in summer!”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Great place to eat and drink on the quayside and watch all the expensive yachts sail in and out. We visited in April and it was quite cool in the evenings.

Visited April 2014
UK
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“London's boardwalk”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

This is one of my favourite places in London. I remember before it was regenerated so I can doubly value how lovely it is now. There's a fantastic atmosphere here at most times of the day, and with the Docks only being a 3 minute walk from the Tube Station it's very easy to get to. You can get a nice pint in the pub (almost Tyrolean in feel), or a decent cup of coffee in one of the bars and coffee houses and watch the world go by on their boats.

The yacht-envy is also great fun, and if you're really lucky you'll go on a day when they have their tiny food market where you can sample everything from excellent salamis to Turkish borek. If you're visiting the Tower of London this is the perfect place to come for lunch or just a change of pace as they are a stone's throw apart.

Visited February 2014