“Without doubt, the best Indian Restaurant in London”
Review of Roots at N1 - CLOSED

Roots at N1
Price range: US$45 - US$90
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: A venture of 3 professionals from The Ritz London, Benares Mayfair & The Oberoi New Delhi
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Without doubt, the best Indian Restaurant in London”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I have to confess right at the start that I was one of the party that accompanied reviewer Trevgti (below) for his birthday treat. In fact, I was part of what the Manager, in his reply to Trev's review, called "a lovely party". And he's right; for the most part, we were lovely.
Am I allowed to write another review for the same restaurant? I'm not sure. But the more people who write about this restaurant the better (as long as we can still manage to get in).
The food was unlike any other Indian food I had tasted in London: how about this for a starter? Anise and Kaffir Lime Roast quail? Rum and Clove soaked Lamb Chop? A quartet of Duck, Lamb, Prawn and Chicken Kebab? Or for Main Course: Lemon Thyme and Black-Pepper Haddock? Duck Breast with a Duck and Carrot reduction? Or a wonderful take on Butter Chicken? All superbly spiced and balanced. And served with a great choice of wines.
But the service was equally outstanding, constantly treading the line between being unobtrusive and effusive. It's like the staff were out to spoil you. Some of us were smokers and when we went out on to the terrace for a fag, out popped the manager to top up our glasses, but not in a 'constantly-refilling-after-every-sip' way that some restaurants perpetrate in order to shift large amounts of wine.
I'm definitely going to slip back for more food. But I won't go with Trevgti next time. He's got more Trip Advisor reviews than I have.

1 Thank Geoffram
Roots N, Guest Relations Manager at Roots at N1, responded to this review, 14 January 2015
Dear Geoffram,

The team and myself are delighted to hear you had a great evening. Thank you for you indepth feedback. We are immensely proud and happy, you and your friends had a great time.

See you soon.

Rohit and team

“Spectacular Fare in an Unexpected Place”
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I are dedicated gourmands with a great love of fine wines (particularly when properly paired) Roots succeeds on both counts. Each item on the menu is paired with three wine choices, all perfectly selected. The atmosphere is low key and casual, a must for spicy food. You will remove your jacket and open another collar button right around the main course. The food is spicy without being overbearing, the chef knows his spice perfectly. The cookery stands up to the finest dining you have had, but the service is like a very good neighborhood restaurant. The staff is excellent and welcoming. Please disregard any review here that mentions distance or money. This is fine dining at a reasonable rate and it is a bit off the beaten path but only a seven minute walk from a train. It is well worth the trip.

3 Thank Hornspe
Roots N, Guest Relations Manager at Roots at N1, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Hornspe,

Thank you for dining with us. It is great to hear your in-depth feedback. The whole is team is thrilled to hear you enjoyed the Chef's work with the dishes as well the service.

Look forward to seeing you with us again .

London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Indian food I have ever eaten (I haven't been to India)”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Stunning food, excellent service, there is nothing here that I wouldn't change. They have nailed it!

Dear Brixtleo,

Thank you for dining with us. Feels great to hear you enjoyed your evening with us.

See you soon.

UK
“Wow ! Just the most amazing restaurant ”
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

We wanted to find somewhere to celebrate the 20th anniversary of our meeting. I used Tripadvisor to find an Islington restaurant that'd we'd never been to before. Not easy when you've lived here for 13 years. I was surprised to find this place, so very highly rated, but which I'd not heard of. Ok it's the other side of Islington from us but still only a short taxi ride away. Anyway, the huge accolades on Tripadvisor were entirely justified! I'd recommend the soft shell carb starter, the duck main course and the chocolate truffle dessert. The staff were very pleasant and attentive also. My only criticism was that it got too hot on a balmy August night. The management need to add ceiling fans to keep the place cool.

1 Thank LFKUk
Dear LFKUK,

Thank you for choosing us on your special anniversary day. The team is delighted to hear you had a nice evening with us and you enjoyed the food and service. Apologies for the heat inside the restaurant, we have struggled with the heat inside the Restaurant. But we will certainly be better prepared next summer.

Look forward to seeing you soon.

London
“Outstanding”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I took a chance and booked here for my birthday meal as I have never eaten here before, I am so glad I did! I was so impressed by the incredible flavours of the sauces and the presentation was spot on. The service was exceptional, they struck the right balance of attentive but without being obtrusive. The suggested wine matches were great and made it easy for the diner and at a reasonable price too. The restaurant itself is quite small which made made it feel more intimate. I got the overall impression that they really cared that our dining experience was a good one. The only slight negative is that is was a little warm on a hot summers night but I guess that does not happen too often in the UK. Highly recommended and I would love to be get a hold of some of the recipes because I can not understand how they are so good!

1 Thank Adam_Carter
Dear Adam_Carter,

Thank you dining on your birthday. Gives the team great delight and satisfaction to hear you had a nice evening. Yes we have struggled this summer with the heat inside and were found wanting .We will work out something better for the next summer. Thank you for the suggestion.

Look forward to seeing you with us soon.