“Who cares about style when there's no service and unbelievably poor soundproofing” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Grazing Goat

The Grazing Goat
Ranked #53 of 567 London B&B and Inns
London, England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

The Grazing Goat was recently opened when I stayed. Reservations are by phone/email. I called and booked a room-only for £195. The person who took the reservation was very helpful, which is pretty much where the service ended. I arrived late afternoon and went into the restaurant (there’s no reception) where I was told to go and ask upstairs. I waited about 10 minutes in the first floor dining room for someone to come and check me in.

I was then taken up to the room which looked lovely - two large windows, a massive bed, wooden floors and furnished in muted colours - a good start. The bathroom was equally impressive although it could do with a bit more storage space than the single narrow shelf above the sink. I was looking forward to coming back late and sinking into my massive bed.

When I got back at roughly midnight, all was quiet. On turning out the lights I discovered there is some kind of green (security?) light on the ceiling right near the bed which couldn’t be turned off as far as I could tell - I spent 20 minutes trying. I tried to put a towel over it, but this kept falling off, so the room was basically lit the entire night. At 1am the person next door decided to make some calls. Loudly. The calls went on until roughly 3am. At 6.15am the same guest decided to watch the news on TV (I know it was the news, I could hear). This was then accompanied by the sound of every single movement going on upstairs from 7am. I felt like Sting: Every step you take…. It's incredible that in a newly renovated building so little attention has been paid to effective soundproofing, especially impact noise, when there are wooden floors.

I called down at 8.30am to order breakfast and was told that it was “being served in the restaurant today”. That sealed it for me. The fact that they couldn’t even be bothered to bring a tray upstairs was beyond rubbish. I declined their offer to go down and spend more money in a place where they were so light on service. On my way to check out (at the counter in the restaurant, where there were four people eating) at 9am, I did ask the waiter i paid if I could speak to someone dealing with the hotel aspect to give some “constructive feedback”. I would have been happy to provide this feedback direct to the hotel... but there was no one available. This speaks for itself.

I really wanted to like the Grazing Goat, but it was dismally sub-standard for the price, in terms of service and sleep quality - there are far quieter rooms with a better level of service for the money in central London. Regardless of whether the soundproofing is up to current legal standards (which I presume it must be ) – it’s rubbish. Likewise the total lack of service is a joke: if you are running a “hotel” you should have management or at least someone who deals with it there at 9am; you should provide room service breakfast; you should actually care and want to know what has gone right and wrong. I will certainly not be going back. Frankly I value a decent night’s sleep and good solid service over posh soft furnishings any day.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
13 Thank Member100

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)