“Just OK”

Surprise Backpackers
Ranked #591 of 908 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 3 January 2014

There are a lot of good things about this hostel, like how it's walking distance away from the Thames/Victoria station, plus free and workable wifi and free coffee/tea/toast/juice in the morning. The 3 level bunk beds aren't really pleasant but surprisingly comfortable, and the communal showers/toilets as well as the hallways were cramped and stuffy. The pub below kind of takes away the whole "backpacking" vibe too. Overall I would stay again just because of the price/location

Room Tip: The "green room" was really spacious and had a mirror, plug-ins, sink etc, but 3 level bed...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 28 September 2013

I stayed here one night and that was enough. I cannot write anything on here that has not already been written. I can reiterate that it is filthy, cheap, and a great location. I would have preferred spending more money than having to stay there. I would not go again, and cannot emphasize enough that it is not worth the small amount of money you could save to go there.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I stayed here for one night in June by myself. I chose it for its location to Victoria Station, as I was getting a train in from Paris to Kings Cross Int'l and it was easy to get from there to Victoria, and then walk to the hostel.

Check in is at the back door. The guy who greeted me was super friendly and got me settled in pretty quickly. I was in a shared room of about 6 people, and it was a little untidy from others staying there, but that didn't bother me.

The rooms had decent sized lockers, so I was able to lock up my valuables while I went out into the city.

I found the bed pretty comfortable, no complaints there. I was lucky to get the bottom bunk, which I wanted as I was going to be leaving early in the morning.

I really appreciated that they had free maps for London!

Overall, a cheap hostel, and I was happy so I'd probably stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank bellamh
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I don't bother reviewing many hostels but the Surprise was so bad that it deserves a mention. Yes It's cheap and some of the the staff were ok (not one of the managers) but... Quick list.
Cold showers
Triple high bunks
Blood on toilet wall for two days
Unappetising guests.

London has some terrible hostels (some of the worst in the world by my reckoning) but that's no excuse to fit in. We later went to the dictionary and loved it.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 August 2013

IT HAS BED BUGS on checking in the first thing i did was check for the biters and found dead ones. I got my stuff together and sat in the kitchen all night i did not sleep and didnt really want to step back into a room infested with bugs and was not clean at all but i had to get the damp bedding they give me to get my deposit back when really i should of been getting all my money back. On sitting up awake all night in the kitchen i saw a mouse, i did complain on first thing check out and there response is its london! Staff plead ignorance with bed bugs saying they can never see them The evidence is all over peoples bodies. With the amount of money i say this place makes im sure they can afford to DEAL with the problem and maybe hire cleaners to clean the dorms out once in a while. ABSOLUTELY disgusting!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank kim t
Reviewed 12 July 2013

This hostel was easy to find and very convenient to everything we wanted to see and do in London. Reading the other reviews, I can see how people would be turned off. The beds were 3 tier bunks and they were pretty loud, but the bathrooms weren't super gross. There are three showers and three toilets and we never had to wait for either. The showers were nice and had enough room to put clothing up where it can stay dry. The bar downstairs was full of locals and the wifi access worked well in the bar. If you don't want to sit in the bar with the locals, you'll have to access the wifi from the stairs.

Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank AB B
Reviewed 11 July 2013

The only good things about this place were the staff was relatively friendly and the location is perfect right near Victoria Station. However, everything else was terrible. The beds were loud and made noises with every move you made. I felt like it was going break right underneath me. They mattresses were tattered and stained. There were rats in the kitchen which made eating there obsolete. There is wireless but what they don't tell you is it only works downstairs (which is a bar). The bathrooms were not the cleanest I've seen. It was hard to find actually because the entrance is a hidden tiny door on the side of the building and no more than one or two people can enter at a time since the reception area is the size of a bathroom stall! To be honest I stayed away from the hostel as much as I could. Nothing like living on the edge when traveling. I DO NOT RECOMMEND!

Room Tip: Not the top floor and not the top bunk!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo