“So much better than i was expecting”

Surprise Backpackers
Ranked #603 of 948 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Very friendly and helpful staff, Clean bright and airy room. Hot showers 24/7 , communal kitchen/ chill out area. Walkable distance from most places...underground, London Victoria train station, newsagents. Free breakfast in the morning in the bar area. Also pub downstairs. Wifi free but signal not great, also it is a tall building with quite a few stairs so try not to bring a huge bag. All in all for under £15 a night id stay there again.

Room Tip: If female go for the 6 bed female only room. Called the Pink room- on the top floor very quiet, ligh...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 18 January 2014

It's good location, the rooms seem they haven't been cleaned for ages, and the sheets and covers had holes on them, the beds makes loud noises whenever you make a move. And the shower and toilets were really dirty, the lights were broken and no one is there to repair it, so we had to shower in a really dim light. There was also litter every where, not just the rooms but also public areas, and if you have heavy luggages, carrying them up stairs here would be a tough task, cause the stairs were steep and some of the plastic surface of the stairs came off, also no one to repair them. Not a good experience staying here, they should rearrange all the rooms and stuff.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 9 January 2014

If you are only interested in location, this hostel is the right way to go. At walking distance from almost every place worth visiting in London, and also near two different stations (one of which is Victoria, you can't really ask for more). Taking this into account, the price is really reasonable, very economic. It also includes breakfast, which is served at the bar downstairs, and consists basically of cereal and toasts.
The rooms are not in excellent conditions. The bathroom area is shared, three toilets and three showers. The kitchen is really small. All in all, the building is extremely small, old and not really taken care of. There is no reception area, and the room to leave your baggage in is actually an old closet that is falling to pieces.
If you prefer comfort, I recommend you to spend a little more somewhere else. But if what you are looking for is location for a reasonable price, this is it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Martina N
Reviewed 3 January 2014

There are a lot of good things about this hostel, like how it's walking distance away from the Thames/Victoria station, plus free and workable wifi and free coffee/tea/toast/juice in the morning. The 3 level bunk beds aren't really pleasant but surprisingly comfortable, and the communal showers/toilets as well as the hallways were cramped and stuffy. The pub below kind of takes away the whole "backpacking" vibe too. Overall I would stay again just because of the price/location

Room Tip: The "green room" was really spacious and had a mirror, plug-ins, sink etc, but 3 level bed...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I stayed here one night and that was enough. I cannot write anything on here that has not already been written. I can reiterate that it is filthy, cheap, and a great location. I would have preferred spending more money than having to stay there. I would not go again, and cannot emphasize enough that it is not worth the small amount of money you could save to go there.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I stayed here for one night in June by myself. I chose it for its location to Victoria Station, as I was getting a train in from Paris to Kings Cross Int'l and it was easy to get from there to Victoria, and then walk to the hostel.

Check in is at the back door. The guy who greeted me was super friendly and got me settled in pretty quickly. I was in a shared room of about 6 people, and it was a little untidy from others staying there, but that didn't bother me.

The rooms had decent sized lockers, so I was able to lock up my valuables while I went out into the city.

I found the bed pretty comfortable, no complaints there. I was lucky to get the bottom bunk, which I wanted as I was going to be leaving early in the morning.

I really appreciated that they had free maps for London!

Overall, a cheap hostel, and I was happy so I'd probably stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank bellamh
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I don't bother reviewing many hostels but the Surprise was so bad that it deserves a mention. Yes It's cheap and some of the the staff were ok (not one of the managers) but... Quick list.
Cold showers
Triple high bunks
Blood on toilet wall for two days
Unappetising guests.

London has some terrible hostels (some of the worst in the world by my reckoning) but that's no excuse to fit in. We later went to the dictionary and loved it.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends