“BED BUGS! DO NOT STAY HERE!”

Surprise Backpackers
Ranked #603 of 948 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

The cheap price is not worth the sacrifice of your suitcase and everything in it if, like me, you leave this miserable hovel with a bed bug infestation in your belongings and literally hundreds of bites! The place is filthy, unfriendly, I was given stained, ripped bedding to sleep on a very uncomfortable mattress in a room which smelled strongly of urine with old chewing gum, mould and dust in every corner of the room. The showers are mouldy and too hot, and two out of the three toilets on the first floor were constantly blocked.

I'm well travelled and hard to shock when it comes to budget hostels, but this place was by far the worst hostel I have ever seen. Do not stay here, there are much nicer hostels and some of them are even cheaper than this absolute disgrace of a hostel!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank LillyRoseD

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Awful experience! I figured it was cheap one night would be fine. How wrong I was.. Looked sketchy from the start but I thought who cares one night. Trying to sleep I felt stuff all over me and thought it was in my head. Wrong! Covered in bites. When I told reception they said " ya we get bed bugs sometimes!" They moved me rooms I couldn't sleep and in the morning when I checked out and again told the new guy he said " I know we had some but I didn't know that room!!" No one seemed to care.. Pay £2 more stay at clink!! Surprise is the worst hostel EVER!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Lindz15
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I was shocked at first by the grottiness of the place. I have paid £10 or £15 more for so much more elsewhere in London, and I thought it'd be at least a little nicer on the inside. We were assured the pub downstairs would be shut by 12 and we wouldn't hear it, but the noise was awful from the other rooms! We could hear EVERYTHING. Including a very annoying alarm that went off when people left their door open, which happened often. I struggled to think of what the staff actually did, as we were asked to put on our sheets ourselves AND take them off and bring them down. The room was filthy and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even clean it between guests. You couldn't open the window and there were no curtains, wow, such privacy. The toilets were decorated in a cool way (awesome paintings) but were filthy. The showers were worse. There was a continual pool of water on the floor which never got mopped up. I didn't see a member of staff up in the hostel area once during my stay. The breakfast was ok. But boy did we have to wait a long time for the staff to stop chatting and finally bring us over a bowl, then we had to wait for milk, then juice... I was glad to get out of there after sleeping terribly and feeling rather disgusting.
There are places for not much more which are much nicer. What place has no curtains!?

Room Tip: We were in the gold room, sounds nice, it wasn't.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mog C
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I know it is a cheap place to stay and that it is a very central location but the sanitary and higiene conditions in this hostel are dreadfull. The staff are really nice though.
The toilets and showers were filthy. The rooms looked like they were never cleaned before. I actually saw dirty boxers lying in the corridor. Nobody cleaned that up because they stayed there for hours. Disgusting.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Mould- gross, Mouse in Kitchen- Gross Bathrooms-Gross

Bunk Beds- Clean, Linen- Lovely, Location- Great, Price- Great

Staff- Well some were helpful and others were just plain rude.

We stayed here due to convenience with it being so close to Victoria Station. We stayed in the 12 bed room and whilst the sleep quality was good (better than other hostels- definitely due to the other backpackers) It was a bit of a pain having the 3 bunks on one bed- made it very difficult to make beds etc. We were handed clean linen on our check in which was great and although the sheets are a bit small (not enough room to be tucked in bottom and top) it was better than a lot of other places.

We see a review below stated bed bugs well there was certainly no sign of that when we were there and there was a sign in the Kitchen about a deep clean that went down on the 19th of March- one would assume to tackle that bed bug issue (I'm just assuming here).

The bathrooms had black mould and I've seen cleaner and more aesthetically pleasing toilets in a nightclub!

We wouldn't stay again unless we heard they had a major upgrade of cleaning and bathrooms.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 March 2014

This hostel has rooms full of bed bugs! Worse, the staff knows about it and won't do anything. If you're unlucky you will take the bedbugs home and it's impossible to kill them without professional help!
The hostel aslo is very dirty - nothing for a weak stomach.

If you want yout money back, they lie to you and you will never get it back.
I wouldn't recommend this dirty place which is a threat to health!

P.S. there are rooms in which you can't even open a window!

Room Tip: All rooms are dirty and disguisting. Ít won't matter where you sleep.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank totobabe
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Location: A good 15-20min walk from Victoria underground/train station. Could not ask for better as Westminster Abbey is at most 30 min by foot. The bus terminal and a police station are also nearby (just ask for directions when you need help). Musicals "Billy Elliott' & "Wicked" were playing nearby during my stay.

Service: Standard. The staff would answer your questions and provide directions to your destinations. But they were mainly manning the pub located below the hostel, so a little patience is required.

Room: As I wanted more privacy, I opted for the four-bed room which was in the top floor after a narrow flight of stairs. The room was pretty cramped with only 2 sets of double-decker beds and a small cabinet to lock individual valuables. I remember there were only two power sockets, so it may be better to pick a lower-deck bed if available.

Sleep Quality: I took the bed at the upper deck beside the window. The mattress and pillow were comfortable and clean enough (or maybe I was too tired to notice). The double-decker bed was quite shaky, so any big movement may wake you or your neighbour up. Again it helps to be a little more tolerant.

Cleanliness: There was a small dustbin in my bedroom, which I don't remember being emptied throughout my 5-night stay. Other than this, the room cleanliness was reasonable, credits to other backpackers. Both the toilet and shower room are located one floor down, which looked damp with some litter. Definitely rooms for improvement.

Value: The centralized location is definitely the selling point. If I were to travel solo with a budget near Victoria in London again, yes this would be my top choice but mainly due to the price.

Room Tip: Settle for the four-bed room, with more privacy and double-decker beds (instead of those triple deck...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo