“Great value and position”

The Villa Kensington
Ranked #491 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Recently renovated, this hotel is in a great position, so close to the tube station to Heathrow, shops, grocery shops, Hyde Park. The rooms, while small, are very adequate and clean and the included breakfast is again very adequate. Check in is prompt,efficient and staff friendly and helpful. We have regularly used this hotel on our travels and will do so again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Clio261635
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2013

Dear Guest,
We are all just so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you soon.
Take care
Ferdinand

Reviewed 2 February 2013

Having stayed at this hotel recently, I would not be in a hurry to return! I stayed in three different rooms in three nights...it wasn't what I expected from a hotel and was far from relaxing! In my email (and on arriving at the hotel), I asked for a quiet room...
The first night was spoilt by an extremely noisy air-con unit somewhere outside my window, which went on ALL night long. The "24 hour Reception"(!) didn't answer the phone when I called them at 11.30am asking to be moved!
The second "quiet room" was in the basement room (with a 2" gap under the door to the corridor outside) - right next to the extremely noisy lift mechanics, loud footsteps right above me as people walked across the marble floor in Reception and a really loud noise which sounded like the water system gushing - these noises were heard all night! More worryingly was the fact that I was woken at MIDNIGHT by two very noisy men using steps outside the hotel which lead to an area right outside my window (these steps aren't for customers to use). They were shifting something from a store room opposite my room. As a woman sleeping in the room alone, it was VERY scary to be woken up by the iron gates being thrown open and loud footsteps going up and down the steps. The men (staff?) seemed oblivious to the fact that there was a guest in that room! After complaining in the morning, I was (at last) given a relatively quiet room on the 3rd floor...why I wasn't given this room in the beginning, I'm not sure!
Interestingly, the Manager said she'd not had anyone complain about noise before (esp in the basement room)...perhaps she should read Trip Advisor (as I should have done before I booked!) as someone has had exactly the same problem with that basement room!

The hotel is a nice looking place, the rooms are nice and the staff were generally helpful, but I certainly wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone who would like to sleep at night...I was hoping for a relaxing time, but ended up feeling so tense and absolutely worn out from lack of sleep and the feeling of being unsafe in that basement room - certainly not somewhere that a women should stay on their own.

Room Tip: If you ask for a noisy room, you might be lucky and get a quiet one...as I asked several times for a...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank HoggyHog
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2013

Dear Guest,
I am just so sorry you had such a bad experience staying with us. With the intention of making your stay better, we ended up making it worse...On the first night you had booked a Single room. We decided to upgrade you to a Double room free of charge. As it happened, the last remaining Double room was a bit noisy. The following day, not wanting to ask you to move to Single room as you had originally booked, my assistant manager offered you what in normal circumstances our guests consider to be a quiet Double room. I have personally complaint to the company delivering our laundry, because their behavior was unacceptable. I sincerely apologize to you again and I hope you will give us another chance.

Kind regards
Ferdinand

Reviewed 22 January 2013

This was my 4th stay at this hotel and my first visit since their remodel. The biggest benefits of this hotel are the location and price. It is a two-block walk from the Gloucester Tube station on the Picadilly Line (about a 30-minute underground ride from Heathrow). There are all kinds of restaurants, cafes, coffee shops nearby, and a Tesco Express and Waitrose market for take-away food & groceries. A 10-minute walk will get you to the Natural History Museum, the Victoria & Albert, the Science Museum, and a bit further down the road will take you to Harrod's and all the shops and boutiques near there.

The hotel is down a side street off of Cromwell Road so you are distanced from noisy street traffic, however rooms facing the street are noisier than the Inside rooms. Hotel staff is very nice and helpful. There is free wi-fi, and now you can purchase cold beverages (sodas, bottled water) at the front desk. They've done away with tea kettles in the rooms (not a good change in my mind) but you can get a cup of tea in the lobby.

The hotel's remodel included new carpet, drapes and updated furniture. The bathrooms have all been redone with nice tile floors and walls. The breakfast is better than before with fresh fruit, yogurt and muffins/croissants in addition to the cereals, breads & hard-boiled eggs from before.

That being said, there are a few problems with the rooms. We were on the 4th (top) floor and there was no water pressure at that level. Our showers were barely a dribble of water. The new showers are poorly designed so that you have to get INTO the shower to turn on the water, you can't reach the faucet from outside the shower. That was unpleasant as there was only cold water for the first 5 minutes. It literally took 5 minutes or more to get hot water! The only amenities offered are shampoo and shower gel - no hair conditioner or body lotion. They don't provide hand towels or floor mats (on a tile floor) - only bath towels that you have to use for all the other purposes. The hotel will provide extra towels to use but we found out you need to ask for them every day or they won't be there.

Even with these problems, I would still stay here again when in London. I have stayed here both as a single and with a friend, and it seems to be a safe neighborhood for walking around, even late at night.

Room Tip: Inside rooms will be quieter. The higher up you are the less water pressure and hot water will take...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank HappySnaps
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2013

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this very comprehensive, and yes honest review. (By the way, we still provide tea and coffee making facility in every room....) I am just so glad we are your favorite hotel in London and we are looking forward to welcoming you back! We are constantly working on improving every aspects of the business and your feedback is greatly appreciate.
Ferdinand. GM

Reviewed 19 December 2012

We had a very pleasant stay in the hotel. Breakfast was good, the staff was very kind and helpfull, the room was more then ok and the location - near Gloucester road metro station -was perfect.
As my sister and I visit London every year in december , we probably will book again in yout hotel next year.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Linda C
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2012

Dear Linda,
Thanks a lot for your nice feedback. We are looking forward to welcoming you back. Kind regards. Ferdinand. GM

Reviewed 14 December 2012

Have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Villa Kensington and found it terrific value for money. The Hotel is in a great location close to Gloucester Tube Station. The hotel was spotless, staff very helpful, room was a triple and a great size. Overall thoroughly enjoyed my stay and definitely would go back.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Derek W
Ferdinand P, Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2012

Dear Derek,
you absolutely understood what we are are try to do here. Many thanks for your nice review. Take care. Ferdinand. GM

Reviewed 13 December 2012

I really enjoyed staying here 10 nights, loved the location, the staff were friendly and accommodating. Breakfast was modest but sufficient. My fault with the hotel is you cannot make a phone call from your room. I do not have a mobile that works abroad and found this very unhandy.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank illinilass_9
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2012

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your comments. We made a conscious decision to unable our telephone system for internal use only (the guest can still receive external phone calls in their rooms). In an age were everyone has a mobile phone, we did not feel the need to provide what historically it has always been a very expensive service for the guests (inflated hotels telephone' bills are a bit of a horror story.....). So far we had very, very few comments about the telephones, making us believe we possibly took the right decision. I am sorry it was a bit of a nuisance for you. We will keep listening to what our customers have to say and, if needed, will take the necessary steps to improve that aspect of our service.
Kind regards. Ferdinand. GM

Reviewed 14 November 2012

Three friends who went to London for a longer weekend and chose the hotel due to location and price. We were overall satisified with our stay, good value for our money as we paid 460£ for four nights in a triple room. Yes the room wwas quite small as they are in London but it was clean and refurbished. Nice friendly staff who seemed to be eager to help though we never had any problem that needed solving. Breakfast was basic but good, what you need to start the day! A few minutes walk to the tube and bus. I can recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank WomanSweden
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2013

Dear Guest,
We really appreciate you took the time to leave these comments. Thanks a lot and take care. Ferdinand. GM