“An Oasis in the heart of London”

The Villa Kensington
Ranked #501 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 12 September 2013

From the moment we arrived at the hotel we could not have been taken better care of throughout our stay with this lovely hotel. I was visiting London together with my son and had booked a triple room. We were warmly welcomed by the two Italian members of staff on the reception desk and then accompanied to our room by one of them. Both of these members of staff were able to speak fluent English and were really keen to ensure that our room was to our liking. Indeed, the room was spacious, clean and quite and the decorations were good as was the bathroom. Our rate included continental breakfast the following morning and there was a good choice of different types of food, cheese, cold cuts, croissants, toast, yoghurts, fruit juices, coffee and fresh fruit etc. If this was not enough, they also offered to cook a full English breakfast for just £5 per head.

There was nothing we were left wanting during our visit to this hotel and I highly recommend it to any traveler. The rate I paid on a Thursday night with taxes was just £159 including the breakfast. The hotel is conveniently located and just a three minute walk from the Gloucester Road underground. My son and I enjoyed a night out and went to see a show at the Dominiom theater on Tottenham Court Road and had a blast watching We will Rock you with music by Queen.

My son and I thank the hotel for making us so welcome, giving great value for money and we will be back!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Cobtree
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much. You will not believe how happy we all are when we get such nice feedback! So rewarding for all my team.....
Best regards. Ferdinand. GM

Reviewed 10 September 2013

We chose this hotel because we just needed somewhere to stay for our visit to Wimbledon in July and it was on the same tube line but close to the centre of London also. We were pleasantly suprised by the standard of the hotel. It's a typical small London townhouse type hotel in a residential area but you can tell it's had money spend on it recently to renovate the entire place, probably for the Olympics. We had a triple room which was small but adequate, the beds were comfortable and the new bathroom was lovely and spotless. If you're not going to be spending much time in your room then this place is perfect to rest your head. The continental breakfast was good. Overall I can't complain for what we paid and what we were looking for.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your honest and straight to the point review. We hope to see you soon.
Best regards. Ferdinand. GM

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stayed here twice, before and after a trip to Italy. Excellent location - one minute from tube and buses and a convenient group of shops and restaurants -yet the street is quiet and peaceful. Staff were extremely helpful and friendly. The first room was fine-clean and comfortable, but the second was really tiny and there was not even space to put our suitcases on the floor. The bathroom was in a cupboard and so small that someone large or tall could barely have closed the door. Breakfast was simple but convenient to have it available and they.gave us a boxed breakfast when we had to leave early. Overall a great hotel but the second room would have worked better as a single room.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave comments. We are just very happy you decided to stay with us again. Best regards. Ferdinand. GM

Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed at the Villa Kensington for five days in August of 2013, and we chose it for a number of reasons: The price, the reviews on Trip Advisor, etc.

Good:
-Very quiet neighborhood with very few tourists
-Extremely close to the Gloucester Road tube stop with great connections on the Piccadilly Line which gets you to nearly all the big tourist stops
-The hotel is very clean and the staff is polite and friendly
- Free basic breakfast in the morning if you're up in time for it (I believe it is over at 9:30 AM, and 10:00 AM maybe on weekends?)
- Elevator
- Television with lots of channels
- Air conditioner (see BAD also though)

Bad:
- We had a leaky room our first night; the rain from outside was creating a very annoying drip and when we called the front desk the next morning to see if they would change our room, they agreed to right away. However, our next room also leaked, and we decided to just live with it.

- After we moved to the new room, the air conditioner would not turn on. We called the front desk and were informed that another guest had complained about the noise of the AC and so they turned off the units for everyone. I am not really sure how that is a good solution, but on our way out on our last day, we saw and heard the AC on in another room that was being cleaned, so I am not sure what was really going on.

Overall, Villa Kensington is a fine hotel. It is clean and does not cost an outrageous amount. The neighborhood is great-- walking distance to Old Brompton Road which has a lot of great restaurants. If you need a place to sleep and are not looking for luxury, you may enjoy it.

Room Tip: Maybe avoid the top floor because two of our rooms up there leaked when it rained.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JeffKay33
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2013

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your feedback. I am really sorry about the leak, please accept my apology. I would though beg you not to assume that the whole fourth floor has or had the same problem. The hotel has been operating for several months after the refurbishment and we never have had a problem when it rains. After my maintenance team investigated, we fond out what was causing the leak and it has now been fixed. We checked all rooms on the fourth floor and found out that it had only effected one room. As for the AC, I cannot understand why anyone would say it was turned off entirely because another guest complained..?? I can assure you that it was not the case at all; I will investigate with members of my team. You probably saw one my porters cleaning the AC filter in one of the rooms. That is something we do routinely every few weeks. It only take few minutes and you do not need to turn off the whole AC system. I so wish you had the time to speak with me or one of my assistants before leaving these comments. I am glad though that you found many other positive things about your stay. Kind regards. Ferdinand. GM

Reviewed 21 August 2013

For the price this is an excellent hotel. On arrival feels more like an apartment block but the staff on the desk are very welcoming and you get the feeling that there are no frills. The room itself was large enough by london standards and very clean. The beds were comfortable (twin beds) and the bathroom very clean and of a high standard. The breakfast is a bit basic but there are plenty of croissants and toast to start you on your day. I felt extremely safe walking back from the tube (the hotel is just around the corner) and would recommend this for visitors to london looking for a reasonably priced, convenient location.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank BHalifax
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave this feedback, we really appreciate. Kindest regards. Ferdinand. GM.

Reviewed 17 August 2013

This is an extremely good budget hotel in an excellent location. The room was surprisingly quiet and well appointed. The staff were very polite and helpful and I would recommend this hotel whole heartedly.

Room Tip: Room 304 was a great choice
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Martin W

Thank you so much for your nice review. Take care. Ferdinand. GM

Reviewed 9 August 2013

My partner and I Stayed at the Villa Kensington hotel Friday 3rd and Saturday 4th August, whilst in London we booked to see Phantom of the Opera and a trip to the proms at the Royal Albert Hall.
Our hotel, room 402 was spotless, bed very comfortable we had two perfect night sleeps, lovely view overlooking park, free wifi and great location. It was almost perfect for the exception of one member of staff: -
On checking in we were informed continental breakfast was served from 7.30 to 9.30 on Saturday and until 10.00 am Sunday morning or if we preferred a cook breakfast at an additional cost of just £5.95 inform the breakfast staff on duty and they will organise it for you.
We arrived in the restaurant at 8.45 am and immediately ordered 2 cooked breakfasts. However, at 9.20 I asked the waitress how much longer is breakfast going to be? She said it won’t be long it’s on its way.
At 9.25 am cooked breakfast finally arrived luke-warm.... we just had two mouthfuls when the waitress who served the breakfast the one with red hair, tied back she said “Excuse me, please you eat quickly we are closing and waiting for you” well we were stunned and taken aback “I said to her “you have only just served us had you bought breakfast sooner we would have finished and been long gone”. It’s not as though they were busy in the restaurant infact it was very quiet. We could not believe her manner or how she spoke to us, she was so rude. It really upset us and spoilt what would have been an enjoyable stay. She certainly demonstrated a bad attitude, we would have liked to help ourselves to another cup of tea and pot of yogurt etc but had no chance as she cleared away all the breakfast dishes around us as quickly as possible making us feel really uncomfortable whilst we were eating our food ....... as quick as we could.
We reported the incident to the manager on reception. The manager dealt with the complaint very professionally. He refunded the cost of our breakfast for that morning and offered a complimentary cooked breakfast to us for the following Sunday morning. The refund was not important to us it was the fact how she spoke to us it was unbelievable.
The manager was great and apologised and said he would take up the complaint with the member of staff concerned. He said breakfast is served up to 9.30 it does not mean you have to be gone from there at 9.30
On checking out on the Sunday morning the manager on reception asked if we had breakfast, we simply said no and checked out. It was such a shame, as one member of staff spoilt what would have been a perfect stay.
I hope the breakfast waitress was told and offered further training on good manners on how to treat and welcome guests in the restaurant. Being polite does not cost anything. And we also hope since that morning no else has had to endure what we had to and that future guests have since enjoyed their breakfast and eaten it at their own leisurely pace.

Room Tip: Could not fault room facing park plus had A/C which worked and was spotless.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mazzadazza
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Dear Guest,
I am pleased to read that overall you had a good stay with us. I am, on the other hand, really sorry you left so unimpressed with one member of my staff. I spoke at length with assistant and the member of staff in question and I believe I do now have the full picture of what happened. I am genuinely convinced it was a simple misunderstanding. She really did not mean to be rude to you. The way she expressed herself was rude because of lack of communication skills. English, as I am sure you noticed, is not her native language. She is still working under close supervision and we are willing to offer her more customers' service training. She is very sorry and would like me to apologize to you on her behalf. Best regards. Ferdinand. GM