“Very basic”
Review of Bedford Hotel

Bedford Hotel
Ranked #436 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I visited hotel Bedford during my business trip to London, in April 2014. Hotel is located in a wonderful area - Bloosmbury, near the world famous British museum. Despite it's excellent location, this hotel provides very poor service. Rooms are very small, although very clean, stuff is not extremely polite and breakfast is terrible. Although I had a room with breakfast included, it turned out that only continental breakfast, consisting of cereals and jam, is included in the room price. English breakfast (eggs and bakon) is extra charged (5 pounds). My impression was that they charge everything in Bedford - they even charge telephone charging (2 pounds per 30 miutes)!
Having in mind that room price is not very cheep, my opinion is that Bedford offers very basic service.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Bojanajo

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Have been using this hotel for 25 years and think it's got an excellent location etc. Staff are always really helpful. Rooms are fine, particularly since they have been redecorated. Price is very reasonable by London standards.

Room Tip: try to get a room at the back facing the garden
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My husband and I were really pleased with our stay at the Bedford. With the high price of hotels in the city, I’d almost given up finding anything decent under $200 within miles of the downtown area. Thanks to TripAdvisor, I was able to locate the Bedford, which scored high on all my criteria.

Location: Bloomsbury, just around the block from the British Museum, within walking distance or short bus or tube ride to all main attractions (used Oyster card). Buses are right outside the door; just ask the staff for details. Lots of pubs and restaurants nearby. We arrived via Piccadilly line from Heathrow and left from nearby St. Pancras on Eurostar.

Room: I emailed the hotel a week before our arrival requesting a garden view on an upper floor and that is what we received. The room, among those recently redecorated, was actually large by London standards. The west facing bay windows brought in plenty of light even with the rain we had during most of our stay. The beds were a bit hard but comfortable; the whole place, including bathroom, was spotless. I’m a light sleeper and was not bothered by noise. Internet did not connect well in the room but was free and easily available in lobby, lounge or garden.

Staff: Professional, friendly and helpful.

Price: $157 per night including continental breakfast (full breakfast also available).

Room Tip: Russell Square is closest tube stop but one of the deepest stations in London, has no escalators and...
2  Thank Bonanza6
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Decent hotel in a really good location. Clean with charming staff. The staff were helpful and always smiling.
Used mop buckets outside the door to the garden not good during the day.
Room was small but clean .
I would stay there again despite these comments.
However overall okay.

Room Tip: Ask for the back.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

I was looking for a hotel near university/british museum and Russell Square (to take the direct underground from Heathrow Airpoirt): Bedford didn't disappoint me. The room is clean and not too expensive. Still, the hotel is not more than average: you smell the breakfast sausages at reception already, you hear every cough from the person next door; you shouldn't expect any fancy interior. Advice: Ask for a quiet room, as I was overlooking the garden and couldn't hear any noise from the city, at least. If I need a hotel in the same area and for the same kind of trip again, I will come back. Otherwise, I will try another hotel in London.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 May 2014

This Hotel is small and friendly. Situated about ten minutes walk from Euston Station it's a good base from which to explore London. There is free WiFi connection in the bedrooms but the code has to be renewed every 8 hours. They breakfast was disappointing, over cooked eggs, cold toast
If you book direct with the hotel and stay more than one night you can get a complimentary evening meal on the first night if you enter a code (shown on the site).

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back no traffice noise.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We had a two night stay and found the location so convenient for exploring London, we walked practically everywhere, but with two underground stations so near we could get anywhere. Plenty of pubs and restaurants locally. We had an adequate room at the back of the hotel, which overlooked a pleasant garden. Staff were pleasant and it was value for the money we paid. I didn't enjoy the breakfast much, the food was of cheap quality and not very appetising, but restaurant staff attentive and friendly. We would go back it was clean, friendly and value for money, they only charged us 50p to leave luggage for the day.

Room Tip: Ask for room at back of hotel.