“Excellent hotel”

Grange Rochester Hotel
Ranked #501 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I have stayed at the Grange several times recently with work. Last week stayed for 3 nights and my wife joined me. Unfortunately work had booked only a single room, when I pointed out my wife was visiting they moved us to a double room without any hassle. All the staff are very polite and was. as always impressed with the concierge Juan who is always happy to help. Breakfast good, only issue would be as always with hotels is £10.00 per day Internet charge a little steep.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,040)

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 3 days and 2 nights as part of a hen party, there were 14 of us in total and the hotel gave us 7 twin rooms. The hotel was about a 10 minute walk from the tube station and check in was pretty quick considering there was so many of us. My room was a great size and me and my friend were pleasently surprised to find two double beds instead of what we thought was going to be two singles. I can honestly say the beds were one of the comfiest beds I have ever slept in and we were struggling to get up in a morning they were that comfy! The bathroom was a decent size with a double wash basin a bath and a shower. The hotel is close to covent garden with cabs only costing around £8-£10.

The only problems with the hotel was that the rooms were slightly warm so we kept the window open which wasnt a massive issue really. Also the electrics in the room were quite confusing as all the light switches needed to be turned on in order for the lights and plugs to work. We also ordered room service late one night after a night out which was £9 a sandwich and when the sandwich came, after nearly an hour waiting for them, they werent worth £9 as the filling was lacking and the bread slightly stale. Apart from these things, which are only minor and didnt spoil our stay, the stay was pleasant and a great base for travelling around london.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank chloefisher123
Reviewed 19 April 2014

The location on Vincent Square is excellent. We found it easy to get to any site in London. The service was wonderful. We really enjoyed the breakfast, specially that we had only continental included, however on the weekdays we could have cooked breakfast for free of charge. The staff was very responsive to any of our questions about directions, taxis, tickets. I would highly recommend the brasserie which is a part of the hotel. The food they serve is delicious and the prices are very reasonable, not to mention the service and the atmosphere. We will definitely keep the hotel in mind for our future visit to London.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travellingloi
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Simply unbelievably bad customer relations! Was on business trip, where my company were paying the hotel, and I was on a limited budget. I suffer from claustrophobia. I wrote ahead of trip saying I would really appreciate them giving me the largest room possible. Just a room of "decent" size. The front of house manager emailed me stating the would accommodate my request if the hotel was no full on check in...

When I arrived, I was told that they were fully booked. The room they had was "all" they had. Yet, they were available to give me an upgrade at £30 per night - SO NOT FULL THEN! Again explained my pre-request (under the circumstances), and that my company were funding the trip. Didn't have resources to upgrade, just give me best room you can. I ATTACH PHOTOS OF THE 7FT X 7FT WARDROBE SIZE ROOM THEY PUT ME IN... I KID YOU NOT...

Disgrace! Rang reception from room. Explained again situation. Was told by receptionist she would talk to front of house manager (obviously person I was liaising with in advance of traveling). Outcome was same. We're totally full, but if you want you can upgrade room for £30 per night. Go figure...

The worst case of money grabbing, disregard for a genuine issue I've experienced. I wasn't looking for a big room, just NOT A WARDROBE.

I could go on, but only getting annoyed again thinking of it! Stay away if you want to be respected as a customer...

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank bowerycrew
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I booked this hotel on a last minute deal and were very glad we did. It was perfect for our overnight stay, It is a short 5 min walk from Victoria underground and overground station's from which you can travel to all the major London attractions in about 15mins. The hotel itself is located in a very quiet leafy square, away from all the London hustle and noise. On arrival we were upgraded to an executive double room with a lovely view over the the square outside. The room was very large and clean with everything we needed. We didn't eat in the restaurant as we found a couple of little restaurants across the road, a little italian and an Indian, we opted for the Indian and would definitely recommend that too. We ventured back to the Hotel bar after and was rather surprised at how reasonable the beer prices were. Staff were very friendly and very helpful and we will defiantly be returning for further trips to London in the future. A perfect base.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ShellandScott
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Very rude and unhelpful receptionist on arrival. She said that I would have to chip and pin £300 as a deposit that would not leave my account but would merely be frozen until I paid the £249 for the room. I am still trying to reclaim back the £300 and the bank are carrying out a fraud investigation against the hotel. Arrived early and was not offered anywhere to leave my luggage. Rooms were tiny. Tried to put us in a twin room disguising it as an 'upgrade' when we'd booked a double room. Internet £10 a day. Breakfast was £18 for continental and £24 for full English. I did not see one English member of staff so language barrier was a problem at times.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Sylvie C
PatrickM_GH, Guest Relations Manager at Grange Rochester Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Sylvie C,

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

We can categorically deny any attempt to fraudulently charge your card and can provide the transaction details, if required.

We regret that you were not satisfied with other aspects of your trip and in this regard we have emailed you directly to resolve.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any embarrassment or inconvenience which may have been caused.

With kind regards,

PatrickM

Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

We only stayed one night but we it was definitely memorable but not in a good way. Let me start from the beginning, we called ahead and asked if they had room for a family of 5, 2 adults and 3 very small children, we were told that they could easily accommodate us. Upon arrival, stairs only and not anyone working there offered any assistance, with bags or doors, nothing. Elevator fits 2 adults tightly, the staff were of little help finding a place to dine, they kept suggesting their own restaurant and we were not interested in their menu. The room was ridiculously small, I think they added another bed to fit us all in, if one stood everyone else in the room had to sit on a bed. I could go on forever complaining but I'm sure by now you know I did not enjoy my stay. I'm not sure what the other rooms are like but this is definitely not a family place, I seriously felt like Chevy Chase in European Vacation, staying in a sardine can.

• Stayed: March 2014