“Great location, even better price”

Grange Rochester Hotel
Ranked #485 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Toronto, Canada
“Great location, even better price”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This hotel was a very pleasant surprise us, as we were not sure what to expect. We had a very warm reception and were given an upgrade to a parkview room (it was our honeymoon!). The room was a very nice, victorian style, small room - but was enough room for us as we did not spend much time in it. The view was fantastic and the concierge/front desk were very accommodating with requests, and very quick - ice, ironing board, luggage... Overall this was a great value for down-town London, in a lovely neighbourhood. Complimentary wi-fi would be a nice touch, but regardless great Stay!

Room Tip: Park view!
1 Thank sarahagregg
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange Rochester Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
So pleased you enjoyed your honeymoon with us and found the staff helpful and friendly. I hope that you will be able to return to us for an anniversary in the future. Wishing you much happiness in your married life together.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This was my first visit to this hotel, and from the outside, it looked just like a bar/restaurant, so it really wasn't what I was expecting. However, the staff were really helpful and I was soon in my room. Minimalist is definitely not how you could describe the room (lots of dark furniture), but everything was immaculately clean, the bed extremely comfortable and plenty of shampoo, shower gel etc. was provided.

The weather was really hot and as the hotel had no air con - I was worried about being able to sleep. However, my room faced a courtyard (not a really pretty view) but as a result, no traffic noise and I could have the window wide open and an electric fan had been provided.

Lovely hotel in a smashing area with plenty of bars etc. nearby. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Some rooms will overlook a cricket pitch which would be lovely. However, if you want a quiet room...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank June W
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange Rochester Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed the location. I hope that you will return soon.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This was my second stay; the staff were hugely helpful and let me check in early (around 11am) so I could shower and have a quick nap before meetings. I am really grateful - it's going that extra mile that makes them stand out.

On the negative, my room was really too hot - no a/c (they explained it's a listed building). I would therefore have to caution people staying here from taking top floor rooms in the summer.

Otherwise, my review from last year standing - I will still be recommending it!

Previous review: (Sept 2013)

I really enjoyed my three days in this hotel. It's about 5-10 minutes walk from Victoria station, yet remarkably tucked out of the way and pretty quiet.

My room was a good size, nicely done up and pleasant; the staff were helpful and friendly, even helping me out by charging my iPad each evening as I'd left my charger at home; & as mentioned, it's a good location. Even the lift / elevator was very quick.

There are plenty of choices in London but if you want to be near Victoria or Westminister, I think this is a really good option. Only negatives were that the breakfast room is quite tiny (though it's not a big hotel - I didn't have wait) and the TV had a slight strange selection of channels.

Minor things! It's not Claridges or the Ritz, but a good solid semi-luxury hotel and I will be recommending it to colleagues and friends..

Room Tip: Rooms on the park / cricket pitch side seem likely to be quieter. My room on the top floor was v...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ben B
It is good to hear you enjoyed staying again at the Grange Rochester Hotel and found our staff helpful. We very much look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Helsingborg
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Luxary small hotel just off quite Vincent Square at a fair walking distance from Victoria Station and S:t James Park tube station. The area is very quiet and offers plenty of restaurants for breakfast and dinner.

We occupied a very spacious (four windows en suite facing the park and balcony) Superior Room with alla facilities, except free Wi-Fi, which should be included in the prices (as is the case in most continental hotels).

Service was excellent, but we noticed three flaws:
1. Check in on a computer screen was extremely slow and could have been done in one third of the time with traditional paper-and-pencil procedures.
2. Room was not made up in the afternoon, but hade to be procured by request. When done it was very quick and efficient.
3. A couple of chairs on the balcony would make a difference.

And, as usual, when will British hotels, learn that travelers do not use the insular three-pin-plug?

We would gladly return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Vincent Square.
2 Thank Nafets2013
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange Rochester Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
I am pleased you found the hotel excellent and I hope you will return. Your comments have been noted. The whole of the UK utilises the 3 pin plug system.
Holland, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Our experience with the Grange Rochester was very good. We stayed two nights without air conditioning but found it to be very comfortable with the windows open. Then we stayed another two nights with air conditioning but the trade-off for A/C is that those rooms are only on the 5th floor and the elevator only goes to the 4th floor. However, the stairs are easy for that one flight up and the room there was larger and more comfortable. The location of this hotel is terrific -- within walking distance of Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, Victoria Station, etc. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The food we had in the Pub was very good -- we did not eat in the restaurant since it was very expensive (although everything in London is expensive!!). Wifi is an extra charge, which we thought was totally ridiculous in this era! We would definitely stay at this hotel again in the future.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 5th floor have air conditioning but the elevator only goes to the 4th floor -- however...
1 Thank Jan T
I am pleased you enjoyed the Grange Rochester Hotel and found its location good for visiting some of London's finest tourist attractions. The wifi issue is currently being addressed. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.
Shere, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

There was no mini-bar in my exec room. There was no bedside table. Presumably this was because the bed was only one foot off the floor. There is no air-conditioning. It was hot and the fan provided merely moved the warm air around. There was no wine glass - I had to use the tumbler provided in the bathroom. I had to ask for an iron and board to be delivered. I had to ask how to logon to the wifi because the instructions in the room were incorrect. They charge for the wifi - it is fast though. The ridiculous e-check-in and check-out. The fact that I had to chase for my invoice to be sent by email. The limited room service menu - who serves steak in onion gravy? The inadequate TV selection - you couldn't even get to BBC1. The house wine (£18) which I wouldn't serve to my worst enemy. The power socket that didn't work, requiring me to unplug the blessed fan. The fact that the bathroom was so small I had to constantly do a dance with the door....and try not to trip over the bed on the way out. Like I say, just the little things.

It is a great location though....

Room Tip: Find a different hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
I am disappointed that your expectations were not satisfied on this occasion. Please accept my apologies. I hope you will consider trying one of our purpose built 5* hotels on a future occasion.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed here in July, so a bit muggy and warm. No air conditioning in room, but room was clean and staff was friendly. Great location, close to sights and Westminster area. We would stay here again, but probably not on hot days.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to place a review. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back on your next trip to England.