“Not bad but not fantastic”

Grange Rochester Hotel
Ranked #489 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 30 May 2010

My friend and I stayed here for a few days last November because it was very close to Westminster, Buckingham Palace, etc., it seemed decent enough, and it was inexpensive. While these things are true of this hotel, I don't think it deserves four stars. The room was very warm... despite the cold outside... I see from the other reviews here that we weren't the only ones who had this problem. The staff were not very helpful either. But at least the shower had hot water and the sheets were clean.

All in all, it's a decent hotel, but it's not as fancy as it tries to be.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 27 May 2010

I stayed in room 506 and contrary to a previous reviewer can confirm I had an excellent air conditioning unit in my room which was useful seeing as it was 30C at the start of the week I stayed. I was askd twice whether I would have a problem with the 5th floor as the lift stops at the 4th.

The hotel backs on to Vincent Square which has a cricket pitch. If you are lucky you'll get a room with a balcony overlooking this square. I had a room round the corner which was small but adequate and the most comfortable bed I've had in a hotel. The facilities in the room were excellent and the hotel was clean and well maintained.

The position of the hotel is about 5-10 minutes from both St. James' Park and Victoria tube stations and despite being in the thick of things is in a peaceful location with plenty of cafes and bars around. Breakfast in the hotel was comprehensive with a full english and continental breakfast on offer. All the staff were efficient, friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 May 2010

Booked this hotel as a package with theatre tickets. You never know what to expect with the package deals, but this hotel was lovely. Great location for Victoria theatre. We had a very pleasant reception from the gent on the desk, our room was lovely (two double beds for the two of us!), and the service in the bar and restaurant was great. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2010

I stayed one night and was happy with room, cleanliness and service. My single room was very small but that didn't bother me as I was only staying overnight for a work event the next day although my colleague was upgraded to a double room (we had both booked single rooms) and her room was really large and roomy. The rooms were lovely and well equiped with normal hotel facilities but no lift after the 4th floor.

We paid £90 each which we thought was a good deal compared to other 4 star hotels in London, although I would say that it's a good 10-15 minutes walk to the nearest tube which could be inconvenient for visitors with luggage, children or needing to get around quickly (also not so good if it's raining!). Finally, there's not a lot of restaurants or places to eat in the area, we just grabbed a sandwich at Nero's.

Finally, I wouldn't recommend staying here in the summer, there's no air conditioning on the 2nd and 5th floor (the floors we stayed on - not sure about the rest) and the rooms were warm. There was some noise in the evening (10pm - midnight) from the 24 hr bar downstairs but it didn't bother me too much, however if you're bothered by noise, some nights could be loud depending on what's doing on in the pub/bar downstairs. All in all, not bad for a short stay but probably not suited for tourists.

Hope this is helpful.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Sam715
Reviewed 24 April 2010

The Hotel was clean and staff were courteous enough, the room looked nice and relaxing. However a couple of things that put us off were, the bed looked like it had been made by the local handyman bits of old wood and quite small, and during the night we couldnt help but role into the middle. Also in the morning we decided to have breakfast and we were charged £37 for toast and coffee which considering this is only a 4 star hotel i thought was way over priced.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2010

We stayed here for Valentine break. The hotel was located in a quiet area fairly close to Victoria Station,about a 10-15 minute walk away. Although the hotel was fully booked out that weekend it was always quiet. Our room was on the 5th floor but unfortunately the lift only went to the 4th floor and we had to walk up 21 stairs to reach the room,not good if you are carrying large suitcases!! The receptionist told us about the lift but led us to believe we only had to walk up a few stairs. Our room was in 'The Attic'. It was very compact and bijou to say the least!! The shower was over the bath but you had to be able to lift your legs quite high to get in and out of it,which I found to be very dangerous. My partner had to help me out of the bath incase i might slip!! I would not advise anyone to stay on the 5th floor!!
We had a meal in the restaurant,which was excellent and the staff were friendly enough.
We didn't have breakfast so I can't comment on that but there are places near to eat in which are much cheaper than the hotel.
The bar was quiet but we enjoyed a drink there.
The concierge was very helpful and friendly.
The hotel was about 15-20 minute walk away from all the main attractions of London,Westminster Abbey, Houses of Parliament,London Eye etc.
To stay here make sure you get a very good deal,we booked it as a 'Top Secret Hotel' so we were a bit disappointed it didn't meet our expectations.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2010

We had been booked to go on Eurostar to Brussels that week, but because of the accident over there it was postponed. So to cheer ourselves up we booked the coach to London - due to arrive at 10 in the morning - oopsie - due to an accident on the motorway and the tailbacks it arrived at 3.30!!!! Our return coach was at 5pm so we decided to use the booking office at Victoria Coach Station, and this is what we got.

The room was gorgeous, and we felt excellent value for money. The only snag was the bathroom was sooooooooooo small you had to come out of it to change your mind, never mind anything else. But for an overnight stay it was acceptable. The room was spotless, beds very comfy, decor really good.

We ordered room service, fantastic service and most enjoyable. Any staff we spoke to were really pleasant, nothing was too much trouble.

All in all, I would rather pay a few pounds more and get quality like this than the one we ended up in before we finally took our trip to Belgium.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple