“A Pleasant Stay”

Grange Rochester Hotel
Ranked #486 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 9 July 2010

We stayed here unexpectedly for two nights due to a mix-up with our flights. I had never been to London before, but from what I could gather the hotel was in a fantastic location, in walking distance of Buckingham palace and major tourist attractions, but in a nice, quiet street away from the main road.

We found our family room affordable as it was arranged at a last minute price through a hotel service at the airport. This included a satisfying buffet breakfast in the beautiful dining area.

The staff were very friendly and most helpful, however I can't help but feel that there must have been a better option to get to the airport early on a Sunday morning than the 75 GBP private taxi arranged for us by reception...

At first we couldn't work out how to open the windows completely, so our first night was rather stuffy. We figured it out by the second night and had no complaints, however we did overhear a family canceling their reservation because they found their room too hot.

Overall, if this hotel pops up in a deal like it did for us, you really can't go wrong.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 June 2010

This is an easy review.
Tiny room.
Minute bathroom.
Dirty ripped wallpaper.
1 plug socket.
No aircon and room like a sauna.
No wi fi.
No mini bar.
£20.11 for breakfast!!!!!!!!!!!
£20.11 for breakfast!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank martincobb
Reviewed 31 May 2010

The hotel staff couldn't have been more helpful, and friendly! Very accommodating and pleasant. The room was tiny, but very clean. It was very hot in the hotel. The bar was not well stocked at all, but ok for a quick drink. Located close to everywhere we wanted to go and within walking distance to Victoria Station.

It was decent, and exactly what we needed. Biggest downfall was the lack of space. Very tight quarters.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 May 2010

My friend and I stayed here for a few days last November because it was very close to Westminster, Buckingham Palace, etc., it seemed decent enough, and it was inexpensive. While these things are true of this hotel, I don't think it deserves four stars. The room was very warm... despite the cold outside... I see from the other reviews here that we weren't the only ones who had this problem. The staff were not very helpful either. But at least the shower had hot water and the sheets were clean.

All in all, it's a decent hotel, but it's not as fancy as it tries to be.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 May 2010

I stayed in room 506 and contrary to a previous reviewer can confirm I had an excellent air conditioning unit in my room which was useful seeing as it was 30C at the start of the week I stayed. I was askd twice whether I would have a problem with the 5th floor as the lift stops at the 4th.

The hotel backs on to Vincent Square which has a cricket pitch. If you are lucky you'll get a room with a balcony overlooking this square. I had a room round the corner which was small but adequate and the most comfortable bed I've had in a hotel. The facilities in the room were excellent and the hotel was clean and well maintained.

The position of the hotel is about 5-10 minutes from both St. James' Park and Victoria tube stations and despite being in the thick of things is in a peaceful location with plenty of cafes and bars around. Breakfast in the hotel was comprehensive with a full english and continental breakfast on offer. All the staff were efficient, friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 May 2010

Booked this hotel as a package with theatre tickets. You never know what to expect with the package deals, but this hotel was lovely. Great location for Victoria theatre. We had a very pleasant reception from the gent on the desk, our room was lovely (two double beds for the two of us!), and the service in the bar and restaurant was great. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2010

I stayed one night and was happy with room, cleanliness and service. My single room was very small but that didn't bother me as I was only staying overnight for a work event the next day although my colleague was upgraded to a double room (we had both booked single rooms) and her room was really large and roomy. The rooms were lovely and well equiped with normal hotel facilities but no lift after the 4th floor.

We paid £90 each which we thought was a good deal compared to other 4 star hotels in London, although I would say that it's a good 10-15 minutes walk to the nearest tube which could be inconvenient for visitors with luggage, children or needing to get around quickly (also not so good if it's raining!). Finally, there's not a lot of restaurants or places to eat in the area, we just grabbed a sandwich at Nero's.

Finally, I wouldn't recommend staying here in the summer, there's no air conditioning on the 2nd and 5th floor (the floors we stayed on - not sure about the rest) and the rooms were warm. There was some noise in the evening (10pm - midnight) from the 24 hr bar downstairs but it didn't bother me too much, however if you're bothered by noise, some nights could be loud depending on what's doing on in the pub/bar downstairs. All in all, not bad for a short stay but probably not suited for tourists.

Hope this is helpful.