Lord Kensington Hotel
US$187
Agoda.com
US$203
  • Restaurant
All reviewsearls courtunderground stationexcellent locationstayed two nightsclean hotelbudget hotelthe wi fiquiet locationpubsheathrowproximity
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Stayed at this hotel this weekend to visit the London golf show and have a night in London as you do,one group was put in basement room we had room 205 with the noisy pipes which kept me awake. We stated before we travelled there would be 3 men in 1 room so to our horror when we entered room 205 we were greeted to the site of a double and single bed er hello 3 men,men don't do doubles was ready to check out when they told us they would stick an extra bed in our room erm didn't think it would fit but did so if you book a room for 3 make sure you ask for a bigger room with 3 beds in it,Didn't try breakfast so can't comment.

Room Tip: Basement has bigger rooms
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Conveniently located next to Earl's court underground. We could look out on the train platforms and also hear the noise.
Bed comfortable but no bedside lamp to read. The TV too small.
Reasonably priced but they charge too much for internet access.
The continental breakfast was boring.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I stayed there with friends for a night on a weekend in Nov 2013.
I booked weeks in advance and already paid for it. I was sure to come, so I even dismissed the possibility to withdraw, i.e. I had to pay anyway.

Most hotels of this class are run by Indians to save costs. You can be lucky, but I wasn't and ran (again) into another example of a rude representative

When we checked in I was told that I'd have to relocate as my room wasn't available any more.
The new hotel was "down the street", "max 5min from here".
Is this what you'd expect from a PAID booking weeks in advance?
Surely not!
As I made this clear, the receptionist called someone. It was still impossible for me to stay he said. That I paid in advance and they should have informed me immediately with this news meant nothing to him.
After we insisted that we're there as a group and wanted to stay as such etc. he called again.

Finally I was given the room 802. Where would you expect this one? 8th floor? Good guess, but it's the basement!
I learned after asking because the elevator has different labels.

All in all they played a game I guess. It was probably bigger than it used to be as the room had a queen sized bed and two single ones. A friend of mine who didn't pay upfront had a similar one.
But it was probably the last one they had and didn't want to give it away as someone else might book it for a higher rate.
Therefore they tried on the customer (me) how much he'd bear. After hard discussions and 2 phone calls I was "upgraded".
Normally you'd expect this to happen immediately, wouldn't you??

However the room and bath seemed to be tidy.

The room had access to the garden. I felt a little insecure as the door was poorly secured and closing improperly. Anyone could access it via the garden by pulling the door harshly. The baths' window was secured by a grid.

The firedoors or the escapeway were obstructed either through bags of laundry or were wedged.

The breakfast was ok. Plenty of everything, cheese, ham, butter, marmelade, toast, eggs, cake stuff etc.

It was close to Earl's Court station.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
GMLKH, General Manager at Lord Kensington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2013

Thank you for your review, but I feel I must respond to correct some of your inaccuracies.

First, despite the majority of our staff being 'Indian', the Lord Kensington prides itself on customer service and we strive to treat all guests with the utmost politeness at all times, as the majority of our reviews point out. I don't think my staff's nationality should be relevant.

Second, you and your friends made three separate reservations, and until you arrived we had no idea that you were travelling as a group. It is rare that we have to book somebody out to another hotel, but unfortunately it happens occasionally and we had booked a neighbouring hotel for you of exactly the same standard.

Third, the receptionist called myself, the general manager, to explain that you were not happy about being booked out. You were so rude to my receptionist that we had no choice but to book out another guest instead. We were not playing a game and were not trying to sell your room for a higher rate. We were overbooked. I am sorry that you were asked to stay in another hotel, and I understand that it was not ideal, but when this situation arises it is the hotel's responsibility to find accommodation of the same standard, which is what we had done.

I am happy to hear that you were satisfied the room was tidy. Along with customer service, cleanliness is our top priority and we try to ensure our hotel is immaculate at all times.

The basement family room that you were staying in does have access to the garden, but there is a secure lock on the door and would not be accessible by pulling on the door, as you suggest.

I read all reviews and always listen to criticism to try and improve the hotel, but sometimes there are reviews that I feel have been unfairly harsh and this was one of them.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel. Staff are friendly and helpful and the rooms are very clean and have everything you could want for a short stay in London. Breakfast was quite adequate. Though not a great variety there is enough choice to suit its purpose. Location is ideal for Earls Court /Kensington and Chelsea area all within walking distance and, with the underground station close by, it is very easy to get anywhere across London without difficulty. We would recommend this hotel and will happily stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Susan H
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Hi this hotel is well kept and the staff are lovely.
However!!!!! The room had this horrific banging noise every time someone used there taps its kept us awake most of the night and really did ruin our sleep here!
The breakfast was not very good either I am afraid the toast was cold and chewy although my friend has croissants and said they were nice.
It is a real shame we didn't sleep well here as the hotel would be otherwise good and my review would be so different.

Room Tip: Do not go in 205!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends