“Good base to explore London”
Review of Astons Apartments

Astons Apartments
Ranked #737 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Location great. Its quite and nice really close to tube and Kensington gardens. As everyone says, staff are nice and rooms are tiny (even for London). Very reasonable price for the area though.
Comfort level is somewhere in the middle, not uncomfortable but not terrific either. I stayed in September and found that my room was very hot when I returned at the end of the day. One night I slept with the window open. I would not stay here during summer.
Given the price and location, this is a good, budget friendly option for people who do not plan to spend much time in the room. If you just plan on sleeping, getting up, having breakfast (using your own kitchenette), then leaving and not coming back until evening or night, then you will be totally fine.
WiFi is not included. Charges for it are not too bad, given what some places charge.
No real services offered by the hotel, but if you ask staff will help you.
Can't really say enough about how good I found the location though.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 6 October 2013

I stayed here in June, my second stay here. A fantastic location at a very good price for London. By no means a luxury hotel, but you can't beat the price for this location. 5 minute walk (tops) to the Gloucester Road tube station. My single room this time was much smaller than the last time I was here, but since the place consists of several buildings each room is a bit different ( and maybe last time I had a double ?) Each room has a tiny built in kitchen, which can really save you money in London. Note- the Wifi did not work in my room, so I had to go into the hallway to use my laptop. (They did refund my Wifi charge btw). Others had the same problem. As noted on TA the bathroom/showerroom is very tiny, these have just been carved out of a corner. Again, by no means luxury, but if you want more luxury be prepared to spend another 50 pounds or more for somewhere else in this area of London.
The staff was very nice.
I'll be back !

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

I did a lot of research to find a well located accommodation which was also clean and friendly. I finally picked Astons apartments.
The location is fantastic. Less than 5 mins walk from Gloucester road station which is on the Piccadilly line...fantastic for getting to all the main attractions of London.
The apartment itself is of a reasonable size. Very cleverly designed with the kitchen area in what looks like a wardrobe.
The shower is powerful but the drainage is not great so we had to keep turning the shower off to let the water drain before it flooded the bathroom. The plug in the bathroom sink did not work...just little picky things, these did not have a negative impact on our stay.
The only slightly disappointing thing about the apartment was the bed. Very uncomfortable, I could feel the springs poking through the mattress. Our double bed was 2 singles pushed together so no nighttime snuggles as I could feel the edge of each bed through the sheet.
We were located in room 16 which was at the very top of the building, great views but 69 steps up to the room...very tiring after a day walking around London. If any difficulty walking I'd recommend requesting a low floor room.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Carlabear3
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The location is very good, but the studio on the 2nd floor wasn´t. The room is very small, we had a twin with very poor mattresses. It had a built-in kitchenette with very limited space for dishes and cutlery. The fridge had a small freezer, all frozen up. There was no room for luggage and a small wardrope for clothes.. The fuse for lights was broken one evening and it took a long time
before it was repaired. But the broken light bulb wasn´t changed till later. And still there was no electricity in the kitchen contact box. All in all the apartment is in need of repair. The famale staff tried to do what they could, but light bulbs and fuses weren´t really their thing.

Room Tip: I think the more expensive rooms are better.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I had booked a ground floor room as my sister and I are both over 60, the first night we stayed there they put us on the 4th floor, with no lift. Then they transfered us to the 2nd floor with no lift. I understand that the older places do not have lifts, that is why I booked a ground floor apartment. If they could not accomadate that, they should have revealed that at the time of booking!! The shower, toilet setop is horrible, you can not take a shower without hitting the toilet. I would NOT stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Stayed there for two nights and I would recommend staying in this apartment

+cheap compared to other hotels or apartments
+really friendly and helpful staff
+good location, near shopping center and tube
+It was quiet in the room.

-As usually mentioned here on tripadvisor the bathroom is really really small.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Elbst
Reviewed 19 August 2013

i arrived there with my family, we were 5 people total. they gave us 2 rooms- (tha fact that there is a kitchen in the closet doenst make it an apartment, also not the airplane-like toilets)
2 double bed rooms and said that we will get a roll away bed,unfortunatly there was no place for the extra bed so we had to take out the table and chairs from the room. so basically after that the room looked like a camping. not to mention the terribly uncomfortable beds. the ONLY good thing in this place is the location. dont get fooled by the beautiful pictures on the brochures- i have no idea where they were taken.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family