“Great Location”

Ranked #722 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Fairhope, Alabama
“Great Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

I have stayed in London many times and I will happily book here again. The location in Kensington is outstanding. It is only a 5 minute walk to the tube and there are many shops and restaurants close by. I often book into apartments as I like being able to go to the local markets to get food, as eating out in London is expensive. I booked a standard double room but was upgraded on arrival.

Yes, the rooms are small and I did have to climb about 5 flights of stairs to get to my room, it is London. This property is a Victorian town house so there is no lift. As I was on the top floor and the area is quiet, I slept very well.

The staff was wonderful, my bed was comfortable and there was good water pressure. The wi-fi connection was good and only cost a few pounds a day.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank hjgirl_99

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

My wife and I stayed at Astons for the first but not the last time. The staff were wonderful; helpful, courteous and happy! The room had everything; a comfortable bed, table and chairs, a "kitchen in a cupboard" that was excellently stocked and a shower room complimented a super place. Stay at Astons. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Pine Mountain Club, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

I arrived late at night due to my train schedule. The staff went out of their way to make a key available for me, which I fully appreciated. The central London location was ideal for seeing the Victorian and Albert and other museums - just a few blocks from the tube. My room as a single was a bit small, but it had a compact kitchen fitted in behind a cupboard.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Smithsburg, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights December 2013. The good: 1. Fantastic location - only a 4 minute walk from the Gloucester Tube Station, Waitrose Grocery Store, HSBC Bank, Tesco Express, Burger King and KFC. We made use of all these places. 2. Astons Apartments are in converted townhouses - not a gigantic hotel building. I have always wanted to live in a townhouse in London - this may be the closest I will ever get! We were on the second floor, so had only one flight of stairs to take the luggage up, but I don't think there were over three floors in any of the buildings. Our room had magnificent high ceilings and a floor to ceiling ginormous window with a beautiful view of the garden. 3. The staff could not have been any nicer. They were just lovely. We checked in almost 3 hours early with no problem. The girl who cleaned our building was always very friendly. 4. The kitchenette turned out to be a godsend. London is EXPENSIVE. We purchased a few groceries at the Waitrose, and saved some money by making our own breakfast. 5. The room was very clean. I always feel grossed out by hotel beds - but not here. It was perfectly pristine and white and didn't freak me out at all. 6. The only way I could communicate with home was through my tablet so I was praying the wifi would work. It did. Perfectly. And only cost about US $20 for the entire stay. Ok. So nothing is perfect. There were a few quibbles I had. The bad: 1. In the morning, it took at least five minutes to run hot water out of the tap. Thank god we do not shower in the morning - we were showering at around 8pm - and had hot water then. I only needed hot water in the morning to wash my face and brush my teeth, but apparently everyone else was using it at that time. 2. The heater switch in our room was broken (room 23, building 29). Thankfully, London was having unseasonably warm temperatures while we were there, so we didn't really need the heat - but if we did, it took many many flips of the switch to get it to come on. 3. The bed only had a thick comforter on it - no top sheet. As I mentioned, London was having unseasonably warm temperatures, and it got HOT in that bed with only the heavy cover. I wish there had been a sheet. 4. And this is the biggest issue we had (even though it sounds the most trivial), the entire inside of the building we were in, including our room, REEKED of some kind of strange, spicy cooking smell. My husband thought it was curry, I'm not sure. It literally almost knocked you out when you walked into the building and it never ever went away - only got stronger at certain times of the day. I think someone on the bottom floor was cooking something really stinky. It was almost nauseating at times. So there you have it. I enjoyed my stay here very much, and I would stay here again in spite of the few things I took issue with. Happy travels!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank thegoblinmarket
Palm Coast, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

My husband, my sister and I stayed here November 11 for a weeks vacation. I knew the bathroom would be small and it was but we booked it for the location and the value of having a kitchen in our room. We made breakfast every day in the room and a dinner too and saved a ton of money. It was small for 3 people but really we were not in the room very much. The beds were a bit hard. The staff was very helpful and it was really like having our own apartment since it was in a separate building and you have a key to the building and to your room. I liked the neighborhood very much, we would see the school children on their scooters everyday going to school and people going to work. It was part of the British Airways package I had and really a good value for central London. Just be prepared that the bathroom is like a cruise ship. If you are not super picky this should be fine!

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room which is good since no elevator
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank HeatherJ144
Prague
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

I was offered this "hotel" as a part of the British Airways package, so I guess I paid a bit less than I would pay normally. I got an executive studio and was pretty happy with it. The kitchen was small but fully equiped with everything you need for a short-time stay cooking. Bed was comfortable, bathroom was ok.
Guys from the reception were very helpful.
The location of this hotel is perfect. Just two minutes from the underground. It took me 15 minutes of a really slow walk to get to the Hyde Park. There are many restaurants close-by.
Negatives - wifi was quite slow and sometimes it didn´t work (but it usually just helped to ask the reception to restart the modem). You can hear all the noises from the corridor so you can be woken up by other guests.
I would stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Valenila
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

This seems harsh to be average because the staff were excellent and the stay was as we expected but it was 3 people in a room so has to be average. We were able to get our room at nine in the morning as it was free which made a huge difference after getting off the sleeper. The staff were all friendly and helpful and the room was very clean. The added bonus was the small kitchenette, a sink, double hob and fridge. It meant we could cook so saved a lot of cash in london.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family