“Look further” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #202 of 567 London B&B and Inns
Brisbane AUS
“Look further”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

I stayed here 3 years ago, and while it was small it was acceptable.
Now I definitely didn't enjoy it. Ok London is expensive but, these rooms are really small and the bathrooms are almost too small. When I entered my room for the first time, there was an overwhelming smell of cigarettes despite being nonsmoking, so I had to have the window open all the time which eventually improved it.
The breakfast which used to be basic and fresh is now self serve with very cheap food.
The walls seem paper thin and I could hear my next door Neighbour start his laptop and have a phone conversation. My room was off a cluster of 5 rooms, and on the last night, a bunch of young people were going in and out their rooms talking loudly and calling out and generally being a pain in the butt between 1am and 2am so I didn't sleep well.

The location is fine but I found a lack of cares for a simple meal as it is too nears
Oxford St. Later I found some places in the back streets which seemed to be an option. In hindsight, I think a place at the far end of Oxford St near Soho would have been a better priced option with lots of cares to choose from.

The staff were friendly and helpful though.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank brissy4me
LincolnHouseHotel, General Manager at Lincoln House Hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2013
Thank you for placing a review on out hotel. May I say that at the end of the day it’s all to do with getting our expectations right. If a guest expects higher stars facilities and services in a West End London hotel but is paying a budget price, then naturally the guest might get disappointed.

Our newly introduced Buffet Breakfast includes all the items we offered before in English & Continental Breakfast with the exception of fried eggs. This we have replaced by scrambled eggs, plain omelette and Spanish omelette. In addition we have doubled the selections for our vegetarian guests and added to the range with continental cheese, other dairy products and variety of breads. We have also widened the range of cakes, buns, scones and French pancakes. In total over 45 items to choose from, what is missing is caviar, smoked salmon and king prawns but for the price we are charging it is a bargain that we are gladly willing to subsidise. The great majority of our guests are very appreciative of our new breakfast selection and find the price unbeatable.

I think somehow you didn’t pay enough attention to the full range we are offering and hastily took this kind of impression.

Your other concerns have been adequately explained in the previous management responses that were made.

Yours sincerely,
Joseph Sheriff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on business. The room consisted of a single bed, desk and en suite wet room. Wi-Fi was free and worked perfectly. On the whole great location and hotel super cheap for location in central London. Would come back here again.

• Stayed June 2013
Brookline, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

Whenever I'm in London, I usually stay at a B&B on Gloucester Place for the price, convenience to the Tubes, and location (somewhat removed from tourist areas). A basic B&B, and the rates were good for late April. Staff was very accommodating, as my room wasn't quite ready on check-in. Breakfast isn't included, but for a small fee, the food is decent to fill you up.

My only gripe was room 25. Yes, a very good price. But, with very heavy luggage, it is a haul up 3 flights! Just an FYI - this was also probably the smallest room ever! But, again, good wifi, tv, fridge. Can't complain too much.

Room Tip: Pack light, and be a small size to fit into room 25!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank whereshouldilive
Seattle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013 via mobile

Admirably quiet for a hotel on an arterial, near bus and underground, this place suited us for a Five-day stay. The staff is courteous and helpful and the breakfast quite generous. The only thing we missed was a shelf or drawer for personal belongings.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Elaine S
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

WE got a great deal on this hotel. While we stayed on the 4th floor, (with no lift) it made it difficult to get to the room with bags. There is free wifi which is nice! The water had issues though. The bathrooms are very SMALL and when you shower, you will get water all over the bathroom. The water pressure was crazy.... it would have spurts of air pockets in it which made it weird. They sprayed a TON of frabreeze in the room (or some other sanitizer) which was super bad to walk into when we arrived.

The breakfast was ok. Not worth the money if you ask me. Just bread, cheese and cold cuts with juice and coffee. spend the money elsewhere and get a nicer breakfast.

I guess, it is true, you get what you pay for. I had low expectations so given that info, I say this is an average hotel... what I expected for what I paid. (75 pounds).

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank PrickelyPear
J-Sheriff, Manager at Lincoln House Hotel, responded to this review, 1 June 2013
Thank you for your comments. The opinions of our guests are of utmost importance to us and drive us towards continuous improvement. We always endeavour to exceed expectations while keeping our room prices affordable. For that very reason, we have a unique buffet breakfast on offer to all our guests. It is advertised on our website (http://www.lincoln-house-hotel.com/restaurant.php) and menus are provided in all rooms. This buffet breakfast consists of over 45 items ranging from cereal, breads and pastries to meats and greens. These items were specifically selected to cater for every taste including vegetarians. It has received great praise from the vast majority of our guests (many of whom have publicly stated their appreciation on Trip Advisor!) since we started it on the 1st of April.
This is the only type of breakfast we have on offer and while you chose to limit your meal to only bread, cheese and cold cuts, others enjoy much of the whole range. As a result, we feel hard done by from your statement and find your comment on our breakfast unreasonable. We hope our prospective guests actually try this breakfast as we take pride in it and have put a substantial amount of effort to gain an edge over our competitors through it.

Joseph
Manager
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

My husband & I stayed here for 4 nights in early April. The hotel is in a good location close to the shopping and tube on Oxford St and also near the tube lines that run along Marylebone Road. The free Wi-Fi was also a bonus.

We were given a room on the second floor, but fortunately had help carrying our bags up the steep & narrow staircase. The room was cosy but what is expected for central London, with a TV, basic tea & coffee facilities and a small fridge with complimentary soft drinks.

I knew that the bathroom would be small, but didn't realise just how small until we got there. I think it was the smallest bathroom I have ever seen and, while there was a shower curtain, everything in the bathroom got wet when someone had a shower. There also seemed to be some trouble with the drainage so the bathroom floor ended up as one big puddle by the end of your shower and we had to leave the bathmat outside of the bathroom so as not to leave wet footprints through the room.

I don't think that the size of the bathroom is a deal breaker, you just need to be aware of it when booking.

Room Tip: If you have lots of bags or don't like stairs, ask for a room on the lower floors.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple