“Ah, well. Somewhere to sleep.”

Lincoln House Hotel
Ranked #244 of 572 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 June 2006

I was so reliant on Trip advisor in planning my first European vacation that I promised myself to return the favor with candid, detailed reviews and lots of pictures. Lincoln House Hotel was the first stop.

Everything looks fine at first glance. The area is a quiet upper middle class neighborhood with the traditional London row houses that are well maintained. When buzzed into The Lincoln House you enter on the ground floor. The décor is pleasant, with traditional wooden staircases and chairs and dark red carpeting to establish a look from the Victorian era. The reception is downstairs on the basement level (by American standards) which is also where the breakfast room is. This was disappointing because I specifically told the person I made the reservation with that I’d be traveling with my mother who could not take climbing steps. Although her room was on the ground floor, as requested, she would have to go down about 25 steps to have breakfast every morning (there was room service but only for a continental breakfast). By the way, The English breakfast the hotel provides is a saving grace, as you’ll understand in a minute. It’s nice to start the morning with something more than just pastries and cheese which most places offer. We had our choice of eggs (cooked how you want), grilled veggies, cheeses, and sausage or bacon with juices, coffee, and tea as you choose.

Now let’s get to the rooms. Since I was traveling with my mother I needed a room with separate beds. None were available when I booked so we got 2 separate, single occupancy, “twin” rooms; hers on the ground floor, mine on the 2nd. Since there was no lift I had to lug all my luggage (three pieces) up 3 flights of stairs (the 2nd would be considered the 3rd floor in the US), but I’m young and strong so I didn’t mind. Now, when they say "twin room" they aren't kidding. Literally the room couldn't fit much more than the bed itself. Small even by European standards. Ridiculous. Both rooms were en-suite but please don’t expect a “bathroom”. Creative thinking turned a small coat closet into a toilet and shower area. Insane!!! Not at all appealing. Please check out the pictures. Let me try to explain how small it was/is. You know how you sit on a toilet? Well when you sit on the toilet your feet are in the shower stall. Take a shower in the stall and the toilet seat is getting wet. Get me? Yes there is a shower curtain but what does that matter when the space is so small. Not ever seen that before. Hope I don't ever again. The décor? Old and dingy are the words that come to mind. Bedspread and curtains look like it came from the 70's and the furniture looked like donations from the Salvation Army. The mattress seemed like the quality of an old pull out couch mattress, but when it was time to sleep I was too tired to care and slept soundly. My luggage had to be stacked on top of each other in order to have space to move around. The one window in the room overlooked the back of other people's apartments. At least I had a window; mum had nothing. She had to be satisfied with an old fashioned skylight. The carpet… well you get my drift. To the hotel’s credit the place was always clean and tidy. I didn’t ever question that.

So to sum up. Location is strong (walking distance to Oxford Street where many department stores are for shopping, and a short taxi ride to the West End). Breakfast is appealing. The rest… The price is cheap and so are the accommodations. But, hey… you’re safe and it’s somewhere clean to lay your head, if that’s all that matters to you. If I were traveling alone maybe it wouldn’t have minded much. Come to think of it, I would have swallowed it but I wouldn’t have been happy. Hope I’ve been helpful.

P.S. Word of warning. It was my first time traveling on EasyJet, bmibaby, Ryan air, and the like (airlines that cater to Europe alone). Please know that you are charged between 5 and 8 pounds or euros for every kilo over 20kilos. I didn’t know this (easyjet said nothing about that on the website) and came from the US with 3 pieces of luggage (which was no problem on international flights). Got cheap flights but paid up to 400euro for “excess weight”. Ouch!!!!! Booked 3 separate flights like that. One flight only lasted an hour. I could have cried.

11  Thank itwillwork
J-Sheriff, General Manager at Lincoln House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2006

I can only thank this lady for the good things she has said about our hotel but I must take some of her negative comments to task. The lady booked on the understanding that all twin rooms were taken but she decided on taking the two small single rooms that were still available as an alternative (the sizes of which were clearly explained to her) and I wish she had taken this information on board. As readers will see in the last paragraph of her review, she spent a huge amount of money on excess baggage charges around Europe which probably demonstrates the size of her suitcases. There was no need for the lady to ‘lug’ her suitcases anywhere as the staff would have been happy to carry them for her.

Another small point which needs to put right are the ’25 steps’ down to the breakfast room – there are in fact 15 and we don’t have bedrooms next to the Breakfast Room. As to the question of the mattress – we buy higher quality hotel mattresses and nothing like as described in the review.

With regard to the size of the rooms – our rooms come on a variety of sizes – we are in a Georgian listed building which was not built as a hotel and therefore nothing is standard. If guests want soulless chain hotel standardised rooms then that is the kind of hotel they should book into. When the hotel was first created in this historic house many years ago there were needless to say no private bathroom facilities. Obviously as people have travelled more and experienced more they naturally now expect their own private toilet & shower and quite rightly so. We have therefore had the task of fitting these into all of the rooms and in some cases they are quite small. Most people do understand this and still enjoy their stay with us.

The great majority of people who stay with us are very satisfied with what we can offer for the price we charge, in a five star hotel area. We have very few complaints and these must be put in context against the huge number of guests and thank you letters we receive.

Reviewed 26 June 2006

3  Thank Vic-2A
A TripAdvisor Member
Canada
Reviewed 24 June 2006

This B and B was perfect for my stay. I was on a part business/part holiday stay. The facility appears to be under renovation, and the rooms are on the "shabby chic" side, but the location, price and service more than make up for it. If you are looking for an affordable, comfortable place to stay in central London (you can walk most places, and take bus/tube everywhere else), this is a great place to go. Stayed in budget single, which is very tiny - but perfect if you're not planning on spending a lot of time in your room - even if you are in your room, there's television and in-room internet access! Staff were very helpful at all times.

Easy place to find at night when you're coming 'home' because of the beautiful plants/decor of the front of the B and B - unique for what i saw in the area.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
LA, CA, USA
Reviewed 21 June 2006

Stayed: January 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
J-Sheriff, Manager at Lincoln House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2006

Reviewed 14 June 2006

• Stayed: June 2006
1  Thank kellibaird
Reviewed 8 June 2006

My wife and I spent 8 days at the Lincoln House while we visited London. We found the room to be nice and clean but the four flights of stairs up were a killer. There is no lift in the hotel.
The staff was very eager to please and accomodated us in any way that they could.
The hotel is a few blocks from Marble Arch Tube so it is handy to everywhere and just a few blocks north of Oxford St. There is a coin laundry a few blocks away and after so many days on the road we needed that.
The breakfasts are good and more then enough to get you started on your day.
I would stay there again and would recommend it to anybody going there to see the sights.

2  Thank Donald D
Reviewed 17 May 2006

Stayed here for 1 night in a twin room. Checking in and out was quick and smooth. Staff that we spoke with were friendly and helpful.

Breakfast was lovely, the rate of £85 for the location was I thought a bargain, only 2 minutes from Oxford Street. Room was clean but bathroom small and no tub.

There was no lift that we could find but plenty of stairs!

Computer available with free internet access.

Overall a great find and would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2006