“This hotel is awful ”
Review of Palace Court Hotel

Palace Court Hotel
Ranked #968 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night as was in the capital for a job interview. Booked it online I arrived and was greeted by a young woman on here mobile with a older gentleman on the front desk. Asked to check in and she found my booking slip. Then asked me for a card so she could take a £40 holding fee. Nothing mentioned on lastminute when I booked. I was not prepared to give this so phoned the helpline number for lastminute.com and was put through to a call center which was another problem. I eventually was able to book in without having to give my card as the older gentleman said it was fine. Then was asked for my passport. Yes I'm a british citizen and take my passport with me to London. So we had another problem. Was handed my grubby key and told my room number in the basement. I thought only here for 1 night I'll be fine. Entered my room or should I say cupboard. I could not believe they are allowed to rent this as a room it was horrible. So put my bag fine and got out of there ASAP. Went out till I was tired came back and went to find the toilet as it was shared with all rooms in the basement. My caravan had a bigger toilet shower combo than this. It was so tiny you could sit on the toilet and your knees would touch the shower glass door. DO NOT STAY here.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank mdg33
There are newer reviews for Palace Court Hotel

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Worst hotel ever !! Stayed 6 nights there and all i did was avoided getting back to the hotel all day except to sleep a few hours.
The rooms are veryyy small is size with no place to place my bags !! The toilet wasn't clean and they offered no shampoo
The staff is totally racist and insulted me but when I faced them they said it was a misunderstanding although I doubt it !! They receptionist wanted to take my credit card PIN claiming that its a security procedure so they'll be sure I don't damage anything !! That's what I call a thief !! With my refusing he took £50 in cash as a deposit which is totally nonsense cause if anyone just sees the room he'll know that its damaged alone !!
Non-friendly, ignorant and lazy staff....the only reasonable things were the breakfast and the location other than that its very over-priced and is not at all worth staying there so PLEASE AVOID THIS HOTEL

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Karim H
Reviewed 22 December 2013

This place fails entirely at the basics. Scruffy, tiny and unclean room, dubious looking wiring, very poor bathroom, I could go on...
The accommodation was advertised as bed and breakfast but the breakfast room in fact doubled as the laundry room (so they do wash some of the bedding then?) and comprised entirely of stle bread and pastries. It also started at 7:30 which would be too late anyway for business travellers.
In summary, don't even think of staying there - pay the extra £25 to stay somewhere acceptable.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Andrew W
Reviewed 6 December 2013

It is a cheap accommodation in the centre of London (zone 1), ideal to stay a couple of days. The tube is the best means of transport and the nearest station is Bayswater (5 minutes walk). I booked a double room but since the hotel was almost fully booked the management gave us a family/quadruple room. The kettle was out of order but the night porter after several minutes solved this problem giving me the key of another room and I helped myself taking another kettle. The room price include a buffet breakfast. At the end I caa say that Palace Court has a good value for money for its category. Before complaining a customer should remind him/herself the price (£24ppn).

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SergioForce
Reviewed 2 December 2013

A little bit of a background.

I was contracted to deliver some training in London. It was at reasonably short notice and my expenses were part of my fee. This is always an incentive to look for a bargain.

I booked the room through one of the many hotel sites and was then a little dismayed to read the generally terrible reviews that this hotel had acquired on Trip Advisor and other review sites.

Act in haste and repent at leisure!

The hotel is a nightmare to find (not the fault of the hotel) as the ‘square’ is a collection of three separate roads with a strange numbering system. Also a number of the buildings display no number at all! I suggest a visit to Google Earth before setting out.

I arrived mid-evening and the (inevitably) East European receptionist was pleasant with a ready smile.

If the hotel was hard to find then so was the room. Rooms 107 and 108 (and I guess a few others) are situated on landings between floors and slightly out of numbered sequence.

The room itself was the smallest I have ever experienced in London with one side of the single bed against the radiator and under the window sill.

However, the bathroom (shower, toilet and basin) was about the same size as the bedroom and more than adequate.

The room was clean, the bed comfortable and everything was serviced daily.

Another down side of my room was that it was situated over the main entrance and smokers standing outside the entrance would send the odd fume through my open window.

The hotel is handily a couple of minutes walk from Bayswater Underground Station. There are also Tesco and Sainsburys local stores by the station and a plethora of restaurants and take aways. There is even an all night Boots!

I stayed at the hotel for 4 nights in total.

So there we have it. Compact but clean. I was in London to do work. Would I have booked the hotel for a holiday break? No. However at £60 per night a lot more of my fee stayed in my pocket!

If you want a sumptuous suite of rooms with a liveried doorman do not book into this hotel – but be prepared to pay a lot more!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I booked this hotel the day before my arrival which was 14th of October. Unfortunately all hotels in London were fully booked that day due to some big event in London. The room was uninhabitable due to overbearing smell and lack of cleaning.
The bed which was so small was only suitable for a teenager it was covered in
stains on the cover. The room itself was the size of a large closet
there was water leaking in the adjacent bathroom. The staff was completely uninterested in guest welfare. On my arrival to this hotel a lady at the reception was in an argument with the receptionist and turned to me to advise me not to check in. When i saw the room that was proposed it left me in no doubt that I had to check out of this place straightaway. Give this place a miss as it is a disgrace (see photos attached).

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Oksana C
Reviewed 20 October 2013

This hotel obviously has my best interests at heart, otherwise why would they arrange for me to carry my luggage up 8 flights of stairs, 90 steps? No lift. But think of the exercise! The receptionist was a charming you lady who acknowledged that my room was pre-paid, but wanted a deposit of £20 pounds. ' Do you have a bar?' I asked, she shook her head, they did not sell anything either, so I was somewhat confused as to why a deposit was required. Apparently so was the receptionist, but I gave a her a credit card authorisation due to now wishing to hang about arguing as I prepared for the climb to my room. Luckily I had a good backpack and boots.
When I reached the room it seemed a bit dim, I reached for the light to switch it on and it became completely dark, I switched it back on and realised there was only one dim bulb in the middle of a high ceiling, no reading lamp or other illumination. The room was a plain as a Tory bread roll with three beds. It felt like a youth hostel more than a hotel. The shower was basic with a small head and rough concrete rendering around the taps. There was a tea making set, but you would have had to move a heavy chest of draws to get at the plug which doubled up as the TV power socket. The TV itself was the first one I have seen for about 50 years that had only one channel. It showed 'When Hamsters go bad', but not for long. It was a depressing place, useful for writing a short play about a bedsit by an angry young man.
You could say, it's cheap and you get what you pay for. But at £95 for one night it did not feel like a bargain. It probably ok if you are backpacking on a gap year on £25 per day, but not if you have a meeting next morning and need to chill out with a coffee and good programme.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Garethman
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Britannia Inn Hotel
Notting Hill
Notting Hill Gate Hotel
Notting Hill Gate Hotel
#827 of 1,072 in London

Been to Palace Court Hotel? Share your experiences!