“never again”
Review of Palace Court Hotel

Palace Court Hotel
Ranked #963 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 23 June 2014

the rooms were tiny and the bathroom even more. the location was okay but the staffmember not helpful. you had the feeling you serious bother them when asking some questions. would not use it again. breakfast terrible.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We stayed here one night as we needed to be in London. We booked through an agency (Venere) who told us that we could park on the street for £2/hour. This was not true, it was resident only parking nearby and the nearest on street parking we found was more than £2/hour and limited to only four hours stay so no good for parking up and using the public transport. That said, we know the area reasonably well and did park elsewhere although it meant quite a walk. The hotel was clean with a bright reception area and the man on reception was helpful. We'd booked as a last minute arrangement and so ended up on the fourth floor - with no lift this was quite a trek. Indeed the agency hadn't told us where the room was or that there wasn't a lift. Our room was small but clean however the décor was sadly lacking - bare plaster patches in several places when a quick coat of emulsion could have disguised that and brightened the room up. We weren't expecting great things as we'd got the hotel at a good price so I guess for the area it was good value. We had a treble room with three mismatched beds and a tired bathroom but it was clean. In the morning breakfast had everything we needed although seats were at a premium. The hotel had used a timing system at half hourly slots for breakfast but clearly people were sitting longer than that and spoiling the availability for the later sittings. It has a handy location which suited our purpose but we would have preferred parking to be available.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Paid for a room with 3 single beds and even sent email and made a telephone request to ensure we had the room I had paid for.
Oh yes we had a single and the smallest double bed the world has ever seen.
The booking sheet I saw at reception even had 3 single beds on it and when I asked to see the manager unsurprisingly he wasn't there and I have sent email since and had no reply to my request for a refund !
We booked 2 rooms in a different hotel that night and one more thing I would mention is the most unhelpful gentleman behind reception who refused to acknowledge the mentioned booking form.
Don't stay here it is a dump !!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Justin L
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Just returned we stayed 2 nights for the busiest weekend in London which meant we were left with little choice for hotels especially with the prices they others were asking. This hotel For the price.....£25 per person per night, it was reasonable. It is 2 star and I don't know what people are expecting, but this means you have a very basic room with very little standard other than bed, hangers, shower, kettle and tv. We had room 102 which was for 5 people and well spaced out for 4 of us to fit Comfortably we had a bed each. The room was clean as much as it could be, just the carpets are a little old and the sockets were a bit strange one my plug fitted in and one didn't The thing that I missed was having a mirror in the room, there was one In the Bathroom, but with 4 women we struggled with that. Breakfast was very simple, but boiled egg and toast was ok for me, the breakfast room was very small and cramped, but there is a Starbucks around the corner, which made my day and had better coffee. I took my own towel but actually the towels were usable they didn't look old or dirty. The bedding was 3 layers but I just used the sheet wasn't sure about the blanket and cover as they have obviously been used a lot. The walls were quite thin meaning other guests could easily disturb each other, but we were lucky that it wasn't a big issue for us we heard them every now and then. A very large window and balcony overlooking the local pub, which was a nice little stop for a drink on the way back.
Location wise it is safe, nearby to bus and tube stations and there are shops/ restaurants nearby walking. 2 nights was ok but I wouldn't recommend for a long stay at all, it is perfect for a stop over or budget stay in London and it was a good room for us 4 ladies sharing.
Overall purely for the location and price it was ok. We don't know what the other rooms are like, but perhaps not all of them are good judging by other reviews.
The only thing I was unhappy with was the way the payment works, they wanted deposit on a credit card, we did not have the credit card we booked with and if you did not have that with you will be charged the total amount again on another card/cash before they refund your 10% booking fee......very odd.... and the deposit needed on a credit card made me uncomfortable about my credit card security. I did tell the man on the desk that I was confused about the system and he showed us on the screen what he was doing, but we had to wait until the manager approved a refund, which was the next day in the end. So make sure you use the same credit card and bring it with you! Reception was open 24 hours.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Carla H
Reviewed 7 June 2014

My Wife and I have just stayed at the Palace Court for a trip to London for the Beating Retreat. The hotel was ideally situated, the room was good, breakfast good, and staff were pleasant. Quite close to the tube station(Bayswater)

Room Tip: As there is no lift we asked for a ground floor room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel was booked by a colleague of mine for our yearly work football tournament. This year we wasn't as well organised as usual and left the hotel a bit last minute. This one came up at around £20 a head, which we all thought was good for London and its particular location.
Whilst playing, said colleague collected all the keys to our rooms without any hassell. When we arrived we realised why it was so inexpensive.
The reception is well kept and gives a good impression, with free wifi, but that's really where it ends as the paint job deteriorates as you go up the maze of narrow shallow steps to rooms. I stayed in a 4th floor room, thus it taking some effort with being playing all day and carrying two bulky bags. Even for a 23 year old male.
The room itself is compact. They managed to fit in 3 single beds in but it was tight between them all. Only one spare single pillow between 3 beds too. It was too late and too much effort to go down and up again for another one.
The bathroom in our room was pretty poor to say the least, mainly the shower. It was dated and had many signs of discolouration/split wallpaper, which continued throughout the whole room and hotel. The shower had no pressure whats so ever and it was bordering on cold. It was so tight within the shower that you had to step out to get a towel on. We didn't want to turn the shower off before someone else came in encase we lost what little heat we had. The head is fixed to point against the wall giving very little room. The room itself had a small wardrobe, a television with DVD and freeview, though we did have to fix the wiring before it worked properly. Also comes with a kettle and only two cups with tea or coffee on top of a small bedside cabinet. We had another room on the same floor, which was in similar condition.
The reason for my title comes as our friends had two 4 bed room on the first floor which was in much better condition than ours. Their room was cleaverly contructed to allow a mezzanine floor to be built, thus allowing more beds. Only small adults or children can fit up their though. Their bathroom was tiled and had a working shower.
The people in my room managed to get up early enough for the complimentary breakfast. It was very simple to say the least. You had Tea, Coffee, and an orange squash drink to choose from. Food wise you had toast with a small selection of preserves, or three or four choices of cereal. Oh, and hard boiled eggs and cheese slices. No meats.
There is free parking down the road but only between 6:30pm to 8:30am. Otherwise it's £2.40 an hour.
To give an overal summery, I would rate is ok for younger people that litterally only want a bed to lay on after a night out. I wouldn't want to stay longer than 1 or 2 nights. Mind you if you get one of the nicer rooms, it would be a different story. The receptionist was helpful by ordering a cab for us when we asked, at no charge.
Would only come back if we were in a last minute booking situation again. If you have time, look around more.

Also note that many of the pictures of wild life is not from this hotel. The surrounds of the hotel is very built up.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Looks nice from the outside on the internet but don't be deceived!! I read the other reviews and thought I would give Palace Hotel the benefit of the doubt and booked it but I wish I didn't. First night was on the third floor cover by scaffolding outside, narrow stair case up to floor with heavy luggage (no lift), double bed and 2 single beds in 1 small room no room to move!! Bathroom & shower drains did not drain, carpet badly stained, very tired looking room, no Wi-Fi, only available on ground floor & in small front foyer. Room was very disappointing asked to be moved and we were accommodated to the ground floor level for the next 2 which was a little better but felt insecure with the scaffolding around the building and our ground floor bedroom window!! Breakfast was very ordinary and the kitchen staff were screaming in the kitchen which I found very unprofessional, table cloths were very creased/stained and it needed some TLC. The whole place needs some TLC. I would not recommend this place to my family or friends but hopefully it improves.

Room Tip: Ground level rooms seem to be a little better.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gina M
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Campanile Dartford
Notting Hill
Notting Hill Gate Hotel
Notting Hill Gate Hotel
#821 of 1,076 in London

Been to Palace Court Hotel? Share your experiences!