“Very good location, clean rooms”

Holiday Inn London - Regent's Park
Ranked #367 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Oslo, Norway
“Very good location, clean rooms”
Reviewed 22 March 2012

We were here 4 days at the end of February 2012. The rooms are clean and staff are quite friendly and helpful. We had booked a room with an extra bed. Although the room we were given were a bit small for that, it was OK. Surroundings of the hotel was a bit noisy and busy but if you want to be very close to Oxford Street, you cannot avoid that I guess. We were given a room looking inside so we didn´t hear any noise at all. It´s a busy hotel and the staff are doing their best to tackle this situation. Breakfast was very good as well. The hotel is very close to Great Portland Tube station and it´s quite easy to travel back and forth to Heathrow via tube. Good value for money.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
32 Thank Sisyphos
Simon H, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Regent's Park, responded to this review, 31 May 2012
Dear Sisyphos,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback.

I am very pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay and that you have found our staff were friendly and helpful as we are striving to deliver a great guest experience.

You are right, our hotel is situated in an amazing location. Just couple minutes walk to the tube station and close to bubbling Oxford Street, as well as to Regent’s Park where you can enjoy a quiet walk.

I appreciate your comments regarding our breakfast. We have recently introduced a new menu with a wider choice of hot and cold options.

I would like to thank you once again for sharing your comments with us. I hope to see you around the hotel soon.

Kind regards
Simon Hall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ashington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I am staying at this hotel during March and April, and it looks like most other Holiday Inn's I have stayed in. Check in was OK, and the first week I was uprgaded to an executive room. The room was OK, but there are building works going in in a nearby street that look like they may continue for while. A lot of lorry/workmen noise form 7:30 onwards, but as usual I had my earplugs, and it wasn't a problem.
The hotel itself is clean enough, and is within strolling distance of Great Poprtland Street tube station. However, on the odd days that it gets chock full of kids on excahnge visits, and the occassional conference, it can get very busy and noisy.
Breakfast is nice, but they struggle with throughput when very busy.
The second week I was given a standard room - very grubby corridor, with scuffed white doors, and my pet hate - smoking rooms. You can smell them all of the way down the corridor. As people have said, the bathroom is tiny - you have to shut the door or you can't move.
Checkout is fairly tedious, and you need to check your invoices carefully to make sure that they are right and that you have got what you asked for.
For comparison purposes, the HI Mayfair is much better.

2 Thank Agammemnon
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Regent's Park, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
Agammemnon,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. It is IHG's goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Stayed here for one night on a business trip. The hotel was mainly chosen as we are Priority Club members and also for its location. It was a 5 minute walk from Gt Portland St tube station and from our business location.
Check in was friendly and efficient, although no information was given on where to find anything other than the lifts.
Our room was comfortable and clean. We had apparantly been upgraded to an executive room, which was still on the small side, although probably average for central london.
We were on a DBB rate which no one seemed to completely understand. initially we were told this meant we could choose 3 courses from anything on the menu marked with an 's' (which matched the information in our booking). This later changed to a £24 a head allowance after we had ordered our 3 courses marked with an 's'. The bill did not seem to recognise either of these and we were told reception would have sorted it out by checkout. This was not the case. A solution was reached although we are still none the wiser on how the DBB rate works.
Check out seemed to be limited to one way which was in person at the desk. Due to everyone having to check out this way it resulted in queues and a rather slow process. Other check out options would be useful for those needing a speedy getaway.
Breakfast was impressive. We were greeted and then taken to be seated. The breakfast was plentiful, varied and of excellent quality. There was porridge, hot buffet, fruit, yogurt and the usual pastries etc. The pancake machine was a real novelty and great fun if you could get to it past the queue of children. You need time to do the breakfast justice!
All the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful and seemed to really want you to enjoy your stay and give the hotel a great reputation. They certainly made a difference to our stay and lifted this hotel above the average, despite the small niggles.
The hotel was clean and comfortable throughout and is obviously looking to be a cut above the rest through its appearance and the way staff deal with guests.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Regent's Park, responded to this review, 7 April 2012
Suffolkholidayperson,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. We’re sorry that you received accommodations that were less-than-satisfactory. It is IHG's goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2012

As we arrived at this hotel, the Osmonds were booking out.
We found that all staff were polite, friendly and efficient. With one exception, when we stipulated that we would like a room away from lifts, we did not mind the long walk away from the public lifts, only to find that our room was next to the service lift which comes into operation at approximately 06:30AM.
The hotel is generally clean and well maintained. The rooms were not so small as we expected, but the bathroom/toilet was tiny i.e. approximately 1 square metre floor space.
Dinner and breakfasts are of a good standard, but beware of the crafty 10% service charge on eating in the restaurant. Sunday morning breakfast is a bit of a bums rush i.e. very long queues.
As other reviewers have said this hotel is conveniently situated for access to tube stations and within walking distance of Oxford Street.
My main whinge about this hotel is the street noise which can be clearly heard in any of the bedrooms which are on the perimeter. Although the windows are double glazed, they incorporate a vent which whether open or closed allows noise to transmit into the rooms. We recently stayed at the Novotel which overlooks Paddington station and despite all the associated noise, we heard none of it in our room.
So although this hotel may be good enough for the Osmonds, we will be looking for a quieter hotel on our next visit to London.

Room Tip: The Saga package of two nights B&B with dinner on the first night represented excellent value.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Regent's Park, responded to this review, 15 April 2012
Pilgrim-Father47,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Arlington, Texas
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I got this hotel for the location -- which was the main attraction. Close to 3 Underground stations. But the accommodations were not "4 star" like the travel agent told me. I would rate this hotel like a Holiday Inn anywhere in the USA. Just average, with a small bedroom, very small bathroom, and very thin walls. We could hear the neighbors talking, laughing, watching TV, and their other nocturnal activities. So I would recommend you take along a white-noise machine or ear plugs if you are not a heavy sleeper. Also, the AC didn't work well, so we just opened the window -- a bit noisy but okay. The only other plus is the breakfast, which is included, has good variety with sausages, eggs, cereals, fruit, pastries, and such. The in-hotel restaurant is quite good also. The staff are helpful, but if I do go to London again, I won't stay here again. It was just average, nothing special, but not terrible either.

Room Tip: Rooms were quiet at night, though the weekend was noisier both inside and outside the hotel.
1 Thank Cordelia B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Holiday Inn London - Regent's Park, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Dear Cordelia B,

Thank you for your review and for your stay. I am sorry that we fell below your expectations. We do not strive to be "average". We are hospitality professionals and strive to be the best. Your comments will be looked into.

Katie J
Case Manager
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Let me start with the positives 1. location is fabulous you can walk to Oxford circus/Regents Street and beyond. Lots of restaurants and cafes available within walking distance. 2. Breakfast food, always warm and plenty to eat.
The negatives, My partner and myself checked in on Thursday evening as we were staying in the hotel for a conference fro 3 days. on checking in went smoothly we asked for an additional key which was not a problem, informed that restaurant closes at 10pm, as this was 9.30 pm we though we would go straight to the resaturant. Food was just ok, but we were tired and went back to our very small room and even smaller toilet, we also learned that you could not flush the toilet for half hour of using it between us
Next morning up a 6am down for breakfast, the breakfast manager told my partner breakfast was only for one person, he said no only one to eat! my partners reply was we will both eat and get this sorted out as your details are wrong, the manager kept on about it, during this time he kept looking up and down at me. now remember this is 6am I am showered dressed casual with jeans and a jumper to go and sit in a conference. By this time I am furious with the manager as he looked at me as if my partner had found me on the streets of Soho! I told my partner and I could not keep my cool and let it rip an other guest noticed what the manager had done and told him off also. As we sat in the restaurant the manager kept asking other guest what did i do wrong - well he acused me of being a two bit hooker! After breakfast we went to reception to have this cleared up and the receptionist would not listen to our complaint kept telling us to go back have breakfast. Listening skills is not there best point. the guest mananager listened and tried to make us happy asking what can we do to make you happy! At the conference break for lunch she came up again asking an offered us priority club cards 25000 points. That evening as we were booked for DBB we dined in the restaurant. waiting 30 minutes for them to bring the wrong straters then another 10 for the thinnest tasteless soup to arrive, the hotel is doing down hill from here. On return to the room the phone goes its the evening duty manager and he want to make our stay better, he wants to offer us an executive room and our last stay complimentary. We accept only because the room is larger and is the bathroom. Oh what a mistake i did not sleep as there was a party going on over the road to 3am back up at 6am. The last night for dinner waitress tells me i cant have an item on the memu as we are the DBB package, but the small print says if i pay £2.50 extra i can then she delivers our desearts to another table notices her mistake and takes them off the guests and hands them to us. If it had not been for the conference in the hotel I would have moved out. This hotel claims to be re vamped never also on the last day coach loads of kids stayed at the hotel as did chinnese tourists the restaurant was taken over by them and they received better food plus we had to wait 40 min for a table.

Room Tip: if you need to stay here ask for the executive but not room 301 for the noise of the street
3 Thank dempseyk
Dear dempseyk,

Thank you for your comments. I deeply apologize for all the issues you encountered while
staying with us. I am happy to hear the hotel tried to make this up to you by giving you 25 K
Priority Club points and a free upgraded room for your last night.
Once again, I sincerely apologize for the problems you encountered.

Katie J
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 13 March 2012

This hotel is perfectly fine for a short stay, and it is conveniently located to public transit. The Great Portland Street station is a short walk, and even with luggage, easy to navigate. Nearby are restaurants, coffee shops, and a Sainsbury Local grocery.

The room and bath are somewhat small, but adequate. Everything is clean, modernized, and in working order. The maid service was excellent, and they worked around our lazy schedule. Check-in and check-out were a breeze, with a friendly, smiling staff. In fact, all staff were nice and helpful.

The breakfast is good with plenty of choices. They could improve the quality of the coffee, however. One breakfast manager, Grace, was great. She walked around, during her breaks of seating people, to check on tables, wait staff, and guests. And smiling.

We had a coupon for food and beverages in the hotel, and we dined in the restaurant a couple of times. Both my partner and I agreed that it was good and presented well.

My only complaint: Gouging for internet. I hate, hate, hate paying for internet anywhere, anytime. Marriott always provides it for free. I am a Gold member of Intercontinental Hotels Group and would like for IHG hotels to realize they impinge on guest's comfort and convenience when they make internet so expensive. I left the hotel several times to go to Starbuck's and to Villandry's, a nearby cafe, where they offered it free.

It is overall a nice hotel and kept up to a high standard, in terms of service, cleanliness, and staff friendliness. I would go back, but only after having looked for free internet at other hotels in the area first.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bayernguy
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Holiday Inn London - Regent's Park, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Dear Bayernguy,

Thank you for the wonderful compliments on our hotel and service.
Its always nice to hear what you enjoyed. We have taken your comments about
offering free WiFi to our PC members and it will be discussed.

Thanks again,