“Blocked sink and a leaking tap, not a good hotel!”

Holiday Inn London - Regent's Park
Ranked #378 of 1,069 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Blocked sink and a leaking tap, not a good hotel!”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

The best thing about this hotel is it's location. It is perfect for central London and is minutes away from many of the main places to visit, or for business in London. However, location aside this hotel has a lot to answer for it's overrated 4* rating. I stayed 4 nights at this hotel and I was disappointed at the room and hotel amenities including parking. Firstly, my room had a leaking tap and a blocked sink and this should have been checked and fixed before the room was made available to me. Secondly, on the morning of checking out I was locked out of my room by the hotel. They did this because I owed them £8.50, the cost of one of the in-room movies. Apparently it is the Holiday Inn Hotel policy to lock out guests from their room until the extra charges have been paid. Even though, one hour later I checked out and left the hotel! Thirdly, the movies are charged PER VIEW and not for 24hours, as in most other hotels. I fell asleep halfway during my film 'Oblivion' and didn't get to see most of the film. I didn't want to pay twice to see the same film and didn't see the end. And finally, the parking for the hotel is free outside on single yellow lines and pay & display meter bays between 18:30hours until 08:30hours. If you need to park a car and don't want to use a parking meter then the NCP car park is available in the hotel's basement for a very high price. I accept that it is central London charges but the prices are very high with NO CONCESSIONS available for guests despite being advertised as the hotel's car park! Up to 2 hours costs £11.10, up to 4 hours is £22.10 and between 4 to 24 hours is £36.10. However, if you leave and try and come back then a new charge is raised. Why not introduce a day permit for 24 hours allowing hotel guests to pay the charge once and then use the car park accordingly as this would be much fairer than the current system? Also, the spaces in the car park are very small and if you own a big car good luck in trying to park without getting it scratched! The view from my room was appalling but as I spent very little time in the hotel it didn't matter so much and as I stated earlier the location is excellent and I spent almost all of my time out. I have uploaded some pictures of my stay and I hope they will illustrate a couple of points I have raised here much better! Would I stay there again, NO! There are so many good hotels in London once was enough it's just a shame the star rating for this hotel doesn't match the actual place and I hope this review will help any future potential guests make up their mind before booking.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't come with a blocked sink and a leaking tap!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank London J
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Regent's Park, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear London J,

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I use this hotel very regularly and have stayed on several occasions since the last review. As an IHG Platinum card holder you can usually expect a room upgrade - but here the only way you can ensure this is by emailing reception beforehand.
I think the hotel does as good a job as they can - the check in service is very good and the front of house manager now recognises me, but only because I have picked them up on a few things on previous stays.
I got my room upgrade - but here comes the critique:
The exec floor is the 3rd and they do tend to put me in a room near the elevator bank rather than down the corridors on the opposite side - so when you check in and don't want a long walk, ask for a room near the elevator.
The room itself is no different between a standard and an executive - it is only what you get inside as complimentary - 2 bottles of spring water, a mars bar or kitkat, robe and slippers and if the housekeeping staff put them out - slightly different toiletries and if you are lucky a facecloth - which I didn't get this time! You may even get a stock drinks fridge.
The size of room and furniture is effectively the same - so for those of you paying for the upgrade to exec - question the actual cost of water, choc bar and robe!
I have to say I wasn't as impressed with the room this time - probably because I have been spoiled by staying in better rooms in the competition down the road of late (Thistle Euston). Little things like the wires from the TV falling out from behind and the en-suite perhaps looking a bit more tired. Aircon worked well and everything was clean. The staff were also helpful and polite.
But again the same issue I find in IHG hotels when staying on the company account - they never seem to open up my room charge account for drinks/meal in the lounge - as the company picks up the bill, I do not hand over a credit card to cover the charge and their system cannot deal with this - so I am embarrassed every time I go to the bar, order drinks etc, then they have to phone down to reception to open up the room charge account - IHG please sort this - everyone of your hotels does this!!!!!!
Breakfast was fine, except they didn't have me on the list this time and I was challenged despite my company booking covering bed and breakfast - again check in system not quite right!
I didn't pass on comments this time upon check out where the front of house manager Anil was present, as the past few times I have done so and didn't wish to appear critical on every stay, especially as he did give me a few extra IHG points last time because of an inconvenience, I didn't want him to think I was only grabbing points.
However, I only really book IHG in the main so I can get the points and out of choice I would stay at the Thistle down the road for similar rates.
Don't wish to appear overly critical, but as a regular guest you tend to get more picky.
Despite this, it is a good hotel on the whole, the staff are nice and polite and you get get good value for a central London hotel. It is well located with a ten minute walk to Oxford Street and Great Portland Street Tube is over the road.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Miriam M, GMs Office. at Holiday Inn London - Regent's Park, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear Mark R,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. As a regular guest, your feedback is so important to us. I noticed that you have shared feedback before, both on Trip Advisor and to Anil and so thanks for that and we would never feel that any of our guests were being critical - if things aren't right then we need to know. We are currently in the process of refurbishing our Hotel which will include a floor of new executive rooms due for completion at the end of February and so we hope that when you will be impressed with the changes. We will definitely have our maintenance team take a look at the wiring of the TV in the bedroom, as this should not be the case, so thank you for bringing it to our attention. I hope to welcome you back again soon and please feel free to discuss any concerns you have with me or any member of our team.
Thank you & Kind Regards.
Scotland
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My daughter and I stayed for 2 nights on a sightseeing break pre Christmas. The deal I got on booking.com was amazing considering the location (£160 total, room only). The room was comfortable and had everything we required. and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We didn't eat or drink there, so can't comment on that side of things. We were able to leave our luggage on the last day, as we weren't leaving London until late afternoon. The only thing I could find fault with was the bath plug, which was a poor fit and the water just drained away, unless you put pressure on it with your toes!! The sink was slow to drain as well. Forgot to report this at the time (room 546). Overall, this is a nice hotel and met all of our needs. Would be nice to have free wifi, as many hotels offer this nowadays, but with 3G we never really missed it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank BaileyBoo73
Miriam M, GMs Office. at Holiday Inn London - Regent's Park, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear BaileyBoo73

Thank you for taking the time to review out hotel, we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for bringing the bathroom issues to our attention, we will certainly have this looked at by our maintenance team. We hope to welcome you back into our hotel in the near future.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel literally 2 days before our trip. It was very last minute and unexpected.
The hotel for two nights cost us 160 which for its location we couldn't give up the chance.
On our arrival we spotted the rate 300 for weekends and 350 for weekdays meaning our hotel should have cost us 650 quid. We would have never have paid for that.
On arrival we were told our room wasn't ready, so we stored our luggage with the hotel reception and went on our way. The hotel says it's 25m away from the tube. That's not quite true. Definitely further.
The breakfast is 15 if booked in advance, or 19 if you pay on the day. That's an absolute joke for breakfast. We went to the tube station since right outside their is a little Turkish café and it did the most fabulous breakfast which cost less than £15 for the both of us! We went there both mornings.

In regards to the room, on first inspection there's no complaints. It was clean. Had a good view. Big bed. Big tv. Tea and coffee making facilities. A mini bar (however was overpriced so we just stored our water in there that we bought from tesco).
Once I was in bed, I could feel that there was a dip in the middle. My partner couldn't feel it but I'm extremely sensitive to things like this. This caused me to not sleep on the first night. On the second night I did sleep however when I woke up I had the worst back pain imaginable due to the poor bed and had to go buy painkillers to get me through my last day in London.

In short - I would stay here again, and if I had any problems with the bed I would definitely go and ask for a different room.
It's a fabulous hotel in a fabulous location. You just need to be smart about where to buy things from!

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Rebecca N
Miriam M, GMs Office. at Holiday Inn London - Regent's Park, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear RebeccaSkye,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so pleased you enjoyed our central location. Our hotel prices are based on our location, and our breakfast is often spoken highly of, we offer award winning sausages, and a fabulous pancake machine which we are sure you would have enjoyed, We are sorry that you didn't have such a great sleep and would certainly encourage you to please bring this to our attention next time, we want all our guests to have a pleasant, comfortable and enjoyable stay. We are so glad that you would return in the future and hope to welcome you back.

Kind Regards.
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This hotel was part of a theatre break package. The location was good for using the underground to the West End, just a 5 minute stroll to the station. Rooms were in good condition, nothing worn or frayed etc but were fairly compact. Breakfast was very good, with a selection covering all forms of breakfast from the health conscious to the full english etc.
The price we paid as part of the theatre break was reasonable and significantly below the 'advertised price' shown at reception.
There is an NCP directly underneath the hotel, which is very handy, but what would be even better is some kind of parking concession as a hotel user?

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank MaxB844
Paris, France
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed in the Holiday Inn Regent's Park for one night in December. The standard rate for our room is £305/night and this review is written with this price in mind.

First, I'll pass on the petty but usual issues: no free Wi-Fi and the £15 breakfast (and that's only if one pre-books).

Next, while the room in itself was fine (short of the mini-bar being locked, which was weird), the bathroom had some real issues. First, it was really cramped: fine for one person but impossible for two. Second, the toilet brush was missing. Third, the toilet seat was cracked. Someone had tried to fix it with glue, but was unsuccessful. The net result was that every time one of us sat up, the crack would pinch our buttocks' skin. Ouch!

We checked in late, so we did not report the issue until checkout time. At this time we were offered a free breakfast as compensation, which was nice and unexpected, but at this time we really to go.

The location is quite convenient so I might stay again, but certainly not at the official price...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LostInHongKong2
Miriam M, GMs Office at Holiday Inn London - Regent's Park, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear LostInHongKong2

Thank you for your review on our hotel. We are sorry to hear that you didn't have the best experience with us, it is so important to us that each one of our guests have both a welcoming and comfortable stay. Thank you for bringing the bathroom issues to our attention, this will certainly be looked into, we are dissapointed that you experienced this, and sincerely apologise. We are happy you enjoyed the location, and are glad that you may return due to this, we hope you do indeed return, and will make sure you leave feeling happy.
Kind Regards,
Miriam, GMs Office
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night prior to a meeting and had an excellent stay. My room was exceptionally clean, staff were very helpful, breakfast the next morning was very good. I would definitely return.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank 1966girl
Dear 1966girlm

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel, and what a lovely review. We are so pleased you had such an excellent stay with us. We hope to welcome you back in the future. Happy New Year :)

Miriam, GMs Office.