“Affordable, charming hotel”

Quality Hotel Hampstead
Ranked #600 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Some of the reviews that have been posted since I left would have made me change my mind and I would have missed out on a lovely time with my sister. Is this hotel perfect? No. While we were there, April 6th-13th they were going through extensive renovations and were repainting and did have things laying in the hall (there was a random board on the last flight to the 4th floor for reasons I still do not know). We were never once bothered by the construction going on around us. Everything seemed to be done during the hours that people would be out sight seeing. They offered a free full English breakfast with our stay which was wonderful! I know my sister enjoyed our daily pot of English Breakfast tea and had free wifi, it was touch and go sometimes but overall, it worked very well. My only "complaint" would be that it IS quite far from the city center. Mostly just because of the trek to and from the station but I didn't feel unsafe walking to and from the hotel. If you are an American on your first trip abroad this hotel would seem small but this is London and even 4 star hotels (like The Washington Mayfair) have tiny rooms.Overall, the hotel was nice and affordable. Everyone was nice and greeted us when we came in. My sister and I loved talking especially to Dee who was extremely helpful when we checked in. It is so nice to have someone welcoming when you have flown overseas and are incredibly tired and traveling with a minor. He even held the lift door open for us and would greet us with a "Hello girls!" every time we left or came back to the hotel during his shift. Thanks for your kindness Dee! We will definitely keep Quality Hotel Hampsted in mind whenever we can journey across the pond again. :)

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room facing away from the street. I followed this tip from another reviewer and...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 April 2013

This hotel is under renovation and even after most of the work done the place is still in dis repair. I have stayed here many times through work and have repeatably had problems with wifi quality (if at all) water pressure and other general services (phone didn't work, door swipe didn't work)

The staff are quite nice, and the rooms are quaint but really thats all it has going for it. Bad for parking, good location. Would shop around.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank David T
Reviewed 14 April 2013

do not stay in this hotel. it's very far from the city centre, we came here because another partner hotel, also a so-called "Quality" Hotel, overbooked the rooms, and sent us to this very poor accomodation. The hotel is old, our room was sticky, dusty and cold, hair on the bed, mold on the walls, the mattress so soft that my back hurt when I woke up...well, not a good start at all for a long-planned and highly desired city trip!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank rojo r
Reviewed 24 February 2013

We stayed here for 7 nights in February and enjoyed our stay. We are Americans and are used to some amenities that this hotel did not offer, but we managed. We would have preferred a bit more room to walk around, but it was only 2 of us and we were in the room just to sleep. No ice machines, but the bar would provide me with a glass of ice at night to have a cold drink. The bathroom is very small but adequate and beds and pillows were fine. It's about a 10 minute walk from the Underground and several buses stop directly around the corner from the hotel. Our room was in the front of the hotel which was very noisy but we were so tired that we didn't have a problem sleeping. If you have trouble with noise I'd request a room in the back.

The area isn't too appealing, but we felt safe. On the way from the Fincheley Rd. Jubilee or Metropolitan Lines Underground to hotel there is an indoor mall (the O2) which proved to be very handy for us. A Sainsbury's grocery store was great to purchase bottled water and snacks. In the mall were 5 restaurants and we ate at all but 2 of them, some twice. We found that after a long and tiring day of sightseeing it was easier to eat in one of these restaurants rather than traipse around London reading menus and trying to find a good place to eat without being ripped off. The other 2 restaurants were a hamburger place and sushi.

We loved Nandos, which is a stylish chicken restaurant where you are seated and given a menu, but then order and pay at the counter. This is a different concept than Americans are used to and we found it at many other places we ate. There was no line to add tipping to your bill and we looked around and no tables left a tip on the table. Nandos had delicious flame grilled chicken in all sizes, half, quarter, whole, boneless, sanwiches, and with various side orders. You helped yourself to drinks and condiments. We took it back to the hotel one night but this proved to be messy because the food came in small paper bags and we didn't have plates!

Zizzi's restaurant was upstairs from Nandos and we loved their pizza and pasta and went back for a 2nd visit. Also went to Wetherstones Pub which had the best fish and chips with peas and a beverage for 4.09! How an you beat that! And, it was delicious.

I don't know where we would have had dinner if not for this mall being so close to the hotel and convenient. We did not want to eat at a restaurant that took forever and with over the top prices.

Some of the hotel staff were very friendly, especially the cleaning woman in the morning. But the woman who worked at night was not very friendly and seem annoyed when asked a question. She didn't get out of her chair to greet us when we walked up to the front desk. Whoever saw a chair behind a front desk anyway?

The complilmentary wifi worked great and the breakfast was good. A nice little breakfast room with a waitress serving hot beverages and there were eggs, bacon, sausage, juice croissants and yogurt. Adequate for a quick bite!

We went to Paris for a few days and left our luggage at the hotel. Upon our return on Wed. FEb. 20th at 10 pm we re-checked in with the unpleasant front desk employee. I asked if someone could bring our bags to the room and she said we'd have to wait until the morning! Or, we could get them ourselves. Was she crazy, of course we would get them ourselves! She proceeded to walk out from the desk, disappear and come back. I asked her where the bags were and she pointed behind herself and said "in there". I peeked around the corner and saw an office with the door open with our luggage. I had difficulty getting it out from the small doorway and onto the elevator but she never got up from her chair. When we arrived at our room the card key didn't work and I realized it was because she never put it in the machine to program it. She was too busy reading and couldn't be bothererd to help us. She had a very bad attitude.

On Sat. 2/24 we were checked out by a very pleasant and helpful young man. The hotel needs more employees like him!

Room Tip: Back of hotel to avoid street noise
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank BELGIRL
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Have stayed before and returned for another one night London Theatre trip. Ok it is only average- but clean, warm and with a comfy bed. Having parking makes it in an ideal location for us-not far form the end of the M1 and walking distance to the Undergound. We'll still stay there next time!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MaureenB59
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Don't let the facade fool you - this old concrete creation is a little gem - OK its not the Ritz but nor are its prices. Rooms are clean and refurbished to a decent standard, comfy beds, clean linen, free wifi and a good Flat screen TV - bath rooms can be hit and miss (I stay here often) so don't get ready for a bath only to discover theres no plug! Can be a little noisy but I take ear plugs, lol. Location is brilliant right on the Jubilee / Metropolitan line - car parking is free - YES FREE - and a decent Full English is included in the price. If you are looking for a palatial room to spend all day in and relax forget it - if you are after a clean, well located, excellent value for money hotel this is spot on!

Room Tip: Try for one on the back as road noise can be loud, I'd also recommend ear plugs as other guests...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 September 2012

stayed for two nights.Free parking,good breakfast included,have used before and will use again.nice staff.Close to trains and buses You get what you pay for not luxury but clean and good for the price

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple