“As Good (or better) than the pics / website”

St. James's Hotel and Club
Ranked #102 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 3 September 2011

This hotel is exactly as described on the website and rooms look precisely as depicted. The area is very centrally-located -- a nice walk to the west and around the corner from Buckingham Palace or an easy tube ride if you have business in The City (to the east).

The staff was extremely professional and accommodating. While I did book an 8-night stay, I had not stayed here before, but was upgraded automatically anyway, which was very nice of them to do. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant is quite good, and again, the staff was superb. The hotel is beautifully decorated and one cannot help but think that this would be one's fantasy house should they win the lottery!

For Americans shopping London hotels: This is a relative bargain for hotels of this class in the area.

New and Old Bond streets are a 3-min walk north (which. in my opinion, may be the highest-end shopping district in the WORLD). Saville Row is there. St. James itself is home to Jermyn Street, where many custom shops have their flagships located. Davidoff is just across the street from the hotel, which may very well possess the best collection of Cuban cigars anywhere (be sure to take the wrapper and ring off before going through customs).

Overall, a 10.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank BrandonG958

Reviewed 22 August 2011

After years staying at Claridge's I was prompted to try a different hotel after the combination of exchange rates and tight supply put my room rate at Claridge's over $800/night. While a comparison of St James Hotel to Claridge's is a bit like comparing apples to oranges, I was pleased with my new choice. For the money, I felt I received good value and compromised nothing (except perhaps the elegance of the larger public spaces at Claridge's). My room at St James was cozy but comfortable. The bathroom was completely up to date and well appointed. Public spaces small but relaxed. Dining room intimate. I had a couple of meals, which were pleasant. Restaurant and room service attentive. Staff friendly. I liked the location down a quiet lane and a sharp turn. Indeed once I took stock of where I was on a map and found the shortcuts, this location was "brilliant" (as my English friends would say). Proximity to the tube was excellent. I have found my new digs in London.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank 6101FCD
Reviewed 17 August 2011

We booked a room here for the Royal Wedding and stayed for 2 nights.Despite living in London we didn't want the hassle of commuting on such a busy day.

This hotel has the feel of tradition, and perhaps more discerning clientele than many other hotels in the area. The location is perfect, the Ritz just being down the road, Clarence House and Buckingham Palace a short walk away.

In the evenings the area gets a little quieter and but it is only a short walk to Green park and to New Bond Street so you will always be able to shop and be able to eat out or even catch a show.

Staff are really friendly and attentive so if you ever do have any issues you can be assured that someone will take ownership and those things will be resolved.

The room I had was a suite on the 4th floor, it was a good size for London and had all required items in the room apart from an iron and ironing board which you can request and will be delivered quickly.

I didn't have any problems staying here, we got to enjoy Central London feeling like we had a really nice base, we could shower in the afternoon and head out fresh for dinner.

Breakfast was on the ground floor and has a very typical and sufficient spread.

Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Spent one night here on 12th August with my husband. Fantastic location, 2 mins walk (if that) from Green Park tube. All the staff were exceptionally friendly and efficient and the hotel was beautiful. This hotel has the comfiest and most luxurious beds I've ever slept in and showers to die for. I highly recommend this hotel and look forward to my next visit! Thank you staff.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2011

My husband and I had a wonderful stay at
this lovely hotel this past week. We were particularly impressed with
its excellent Concierge service. From before we arrived, I was able
to work with Madeleine and Tony to secure fantastic restaurant
recommendations and reservations and once we had arrived, Tony and
Cezary were most helpful in guiding us to additional restaurants, pubs
and attractions. Even the friendly bellmen gave us some great tips,
helping to make our 15th anniversary trip truly memorable. We would
absolutely recommend this hotel to friends visiting London and would
stay again on a future trip to London.

All in all a warm and welcoming location

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2011

A very comfortable luxury 5* boutique hotel, beautifully furnished and 'reassuringly expensive' but then this is a central location in the city of London so to be expected. Actually we got a great deal using the August Special Offer for hotel rooms and treated the husband's parents for their 60th Wedding Anniversary. The staff were very attentive and looked after us all really well; nothing was too much trouble.

Our spacious bathroom had both shower and best of all, a jacuzzi bath which was very relaxing after a hard day sightseeing. In the bedroom, the mattresses are reputedly handmade from Hypnos and have the reputation of being the most comfortable mattresses in the world; we totally agree. The kingsize bed was an absolute joy to sleep in and the pillows soft and sumptuous. We had the use of Wi_Fi, Flat Screen TV and iPod docking station; all very welcome. There didn't seem to be any tea and coffee making facilities in the room but I expect if we'd asked, some would have been provided. There was no view to write about, just brick walls of adjacent buildings.

The English Cooked Breakfast was slightly disappointing as the enormous portion size was somewhat over-facing and feintly off-putting; two fried eggs (under-cooked - later rectified) and one beefsteak tomato halved, which was fine but then two giant, and I do mean giant sausages more suited to a take-away stall at a fairground and not one, not two, not even three but FOUR large rashers of bacon (two burnt to a crisp), all piled high onto the plate higgledy-piggledy! On a positive note, you'll never go hungry at this hotel!

Over-all, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel and would recommend it to anyone who values creature comforts on their travels.

Room Tip: Get a room with a jacuzzi bath! We loved it!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2011

When Central London was once again at 100% occupancy during the first week in August, I had the good fortune of spending four delightful nights at St James's Hotel and Club on the secluded Park Place and only minutes walk to New Bond Street or Green Park.
This five star boutique hotel deserves multiple rave reviews. This was my third time on this property and with a business guest from Turkey. The staff all work with German efficiency and precision while they deliver the most charming English hospitality. The modern bathrooms with powerful showers are fully equipped with branded luxury amenities but nothing could be more luxurious than the perfect beds in each room. Heavenly and crisp clean. However, the best memory of this hotel aside from the effusive focus on guest comfort and satisfaction is the perfectly prepared English breakfast served in a very tasteful modern setting which would be the envy of many other five star properties in London. With an exceptional location, clean modern rooms and customer service of the highest standard ( try their terrific laundry service ) this five star property will no doubt become your favourite boutique hotel in London. It is indeed the frequent travellers delight. One of my top ten in London on par with the Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental and the ever luxurious Halkin Hotel. A must try!

• Stayed: August 2011