“Cosy hotel in great location”

St. James's Hotel and Club
Ranked #87 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Stockholm, Sweden
“Cosy hotel in great location”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We stayed at St. James's Hotel and Club for three nights in August 2013 and it was a very pleasant experience. The room (superior) was small but very cosy and with a fantastic bed. The location of the hotel couldn't be better. It's very central and a great starting point for exploring London. At the same time it is in a quite side street so there's not much traffic.

The service was really good - very professional but warm. Breakfast was OK but not amazing. We also had afternoon tea at the hotel, which was good although rather plain.

We had a great stay and would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LouCF

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Great hotel in really great location, ideal for anywhere in central London. Staff were fantastic especially the doorman. Lovely rooms with very comfortable beds. Only gripe was breakfast, crowded restaurant and very poor value food.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank eversinhk
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I stayed here for three nights in November 2013. This is a fantastic boutique hotel nestled in a quiet side street (Park Place) near St. James Palace, the Ritz Hotel, Pall Mall, etc. It's about a three or four block walk to Green Park tube station, so it is very conveniently located. The bellmen kindly permitted me to borrow a hotel umbrella on two days (which I never needed much).

Room: This was like staying in a fine home away from home. My room was extremely comfortable and quiet (even though I was on the main level). My en suite bath had both tub and shower and very nice amenities.

Food: I had three meals at the hotel, which were all very nice, and the staff were very professional and accommodating (and friendly!). The breakfast buffet has an excellent selection. I found drinks after dinner to be very pleasant, too.

Value: This is not cheap (after all, you are staying in a very posh section of London), but I found the experience to be a great value in light of the service, facilities, and comfort provided.

I was working in the City. I frequently stay in a serviced apartment in the City, because it is closer to Lloyd's and my clients, but I decided to stay elsewhere this time (in part to scope out a nice place to bring my wife when she joins me next time). I found this location to be excellent for movement about London. I was here solo on a business trip this time, but I will definitely be back with my wife next time!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank BHM_Traveler
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

This is my favorite London Hotel and has been since the 1970's. we have both had quite a lot of change ( for the better) over the years. I'm certain anyone who stays here will decide this is their favorite as well. The neighborhood is lovely. Boutique, discreet and so plummily clubby!!

• Stayed October 2013
England
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Great service from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. Made to feel as if we were their only guest even though they were full. Fabulous staff throughout. Super comfy beds. Well furnished comfortable rooms. Bear in mind the location is just off Piccadilly so very convenient for lunch at Fortnums. Excellent English spoken by all staff. Valet parking a great asset. We will be back for sure.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cliffandjo
Cork
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Stayed at the St. James in October for a few nights. Our first room was very small and although it had a large balcony it was next to a very large air con unit and the noise filtered in to the room. We were given a room on the 6th floor and it was much better, still small but far quieter than the first room we were allocated. The staff at St. James's are polite and professional. The rooms are beautifully furnished and the beds are very comfortable, small details and amenities are all there but the rooms are really only suitable for short stay guests, as they are so small. We had a business class room and it didn't really have an area to 'lounge about in' bed, desk, chair and small table, wardrobe space was tiny and apart from the bedside drawers no place else to store our clothes. The bathroom is lovely, again small but with an excellent powerful shower. We had dinner in the bistro and the food was good. Generally, the hotel is comfortable, intimate, easily accessible, quiet for London but VERY expensive, I feel better value could be found in other 5 star hotels, but having said that I probably will stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 6th floor. If you like space, its probably not the place for you!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Monika M
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Recently checked my parents into the St James for a weekend break. We all adored it, it has made a lasting impression, and we can't wait to go back! The staff are the best I've ever encountered in a hotel, my parents were extremely well looked after, and made them feel special. Although in central London, it was situated in a quiet street, therefore it was a peaceful haven from the hustle and bustle. The hotel has stylish, luxurious decor, you feel relaxed and comfortable. We had all of London to explore, but felt reluctant to leave this lovely hotel!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family