“Great location”

St. James's Hotel and Club
Ranked #102 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel in a great location, but the bedroom was VERY small. Once our suitcase was placed onto the luggage stand there wasn't enough room to move around the bed, this was the smallest hotel room I have stayed in while in London. The lighting system in the bedroom was ridiculous, it took us 5 minutes every time we tried to turn on/off the lights due to the fact you have to hold the switch down while the light dims and brightens and if you don't catch it in time you have to go through the whole cycle again! The staff were all friendly and helpful and the hotel itself is very beautiful. The afternoon tea was actually very average, the sandwich selection was delicious but the cakes were quite bland and scones were so dry we could not eat them.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KNorthumberland7

Reviewed 30 January 2014

This hotel is located more or less behind the Ritz, hence very near Green Park, walking distance to Trafalgar Square, Buckingham Palace, shopping in Mayfair as well as the West End. The hotel is full of character on the outside and very modern on the inside. The room was a little small but you would expect that in London and it was their entry level double, the bedding and the toiletries where of top quality as was the service both at reception as well as room service. I decided to treat myself to breakfast in my room which really was top quality produce.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 January 2014

As a treat for two night was very disappointed to find on arrival didn't have my reservation via external agency, instead of being welcomed was slightly insulted when head receptionist quoted " lots of people think they have booked here" I was then annoyed to be asked if I could produce my booking via e-mail on my phone even though I had given booking confirmation number. Was reluctantly told without apology room was available. On first night waited 45 minutes for a drink via room service only to get it wrong twice. Stunning rooms. However tiles missing on bathroom floor. Was made to feel uncomfortable on what should have been a relaxing break for myself and my partner. Very disappointed for a luxury five star hotel, shame.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Graeme G
Benedetta F, General Manager at St. James's Hotel and Club, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Thank you very much for your Tripadvisor review. As you can see, I don’t normally reply on Tripadvisor, as I always feel that direct communication is more appropriate and more personal, and I only usually reply if the review is incorrect or inaccurate.

Firstly, I would like to thank you for staying with us! As you booked your stay with us via a so-called “third party”, there is always a chance that the hotel did not receive the reservation as it’s not made directly with the hotel. If you chose to book via the internet with somebody who has no connection with the hotel, unfortunately you take full responsibility.

I would always recommend booking on our hotel website or directly via our reservations number to avoid disappointment. The rates in our case are always the same or better via our website for weekend offers. If you would care to email me directly, I will be able to follow up in a more professional manner.

Thank you.
Henrik Muehle, Managing Director

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Another fantastic stay , consistently good , friendly ,comfortable and just so welcoming!
We stayed for just one night whilst I booked my sister in for a three night stay coming in from the US - they loved it too.
Rooms are always spotless , big thick white towels , plenty of top quality shampoos etc .
Breakfast ,a delight, and the freshness and colour of the poached eggs is amazing.
A lovely bar to enjoy a glass or two before retiring .
Concierge and door staff are brilliant as are all the team !
Reading this you would probably think I had shares in the place , well I dont but wish I had !

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Worldtraveller1953
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed here for my birthday and it was a wonderful experience. Kudos to a knowledgable concierge who organised theatre tickets and restaurant bookings.
The hotel restaurant is a beautiful treat and you can appreciate its Michelin star when you taste the food.
A lovely touch from the manager on hearing it was my birthday was a bottle of champers to our room.
Watch out for celebs as we saw a few during our stay.
The comfort of the beds is out of this world!

Room Tip: Book a suite, it is worth the extra money!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2014

The entire staff at The St. Jame's Hotel and Club were exceptional! We are Small Luxury Hotel members and were treated with VIP service from beginning to end. They accommodated our every request, anticipated our needs, exceeded our expectations and made the experience complete with luxury accommodations. The service is what makes the difference and the St. James Team delivers with service excellence! In addition the location is perfect! There is a secret passage that you can take to go through Green Park to Buckingham Palace and much more within walking distance! The Bistro has the best breakfast buffet and cappuccino, room service is gourmet and afternoon tea in the back lounge is private and feels exclusive. We will be back!

Room Tip: Tell the staff what you want and they will provide it!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Stacie G
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

Just spent a wonderful 6 days in London, including New Year's Eve and day. Staying at the St. James was key to our enjoying the stay. We have stayed at several hotels in the past in the Mayfair and Knightsbridge areas, and we will now be sure our return is to the St. James. This is a wonderful boutique hotel tucked into a small street a few blocks off Piccadilly. It is ideally located with easy access to wherever you want to go. The Concierges took care of all our needs before and during our stay. The Doormen are professional and very helpful. The restaurant has a Star. The rooms are small (we had a junior suite and a superior room) but are well appointed and comfortable. We definitely rate this our best stay.

D