“Home away from home”

Ranked #85 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Hong Kong, China
“Home away from home”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My favorite hotel in London Town! Lovely staff fantastic service and the most delicious chocolate chip cookies in the world!!! Rooms are elegant and stylishly furnished. Breakfast is divine. Will continue to be my home away from home when visiting London.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

I was only here for a night but it was a great stay. The bed is amazing!! Even though the room is so small they used the space very well and the bathrooms are renovated with great features.
Since it was a bank holiday I had early breakfast at the hotel restaurant, I wouldn't recommend it if you are in a hurry it took close to 30mins for the coffee.
The location is perfect very close to Bond st and attractions.
I would go back there again!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank DOSAMANTE
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed here for a quiet weekend away which we booked through our Avios points.
We had booked a deluxe room, but I'm wondering if we were put in a classic as I can't see how a less expensive room could have been much smaller. However, it was tastefully decorated with an incredibly comfortable bed and a fantastic view out to a pretty courtyard. But there was very little space to walk around the bed and perhaps a little too much furniture had been crammed into such a tiny space. An armchair and a writing desk with a chair made manoeuvring difficult! The bathroom was also very compact. The shower was powerful, but the screen didn't extend far enough and the water flew all over the granite floor. We were delighted to find Penhaligon toiletries - what a lovely treat.
We enjoyed several drinks in the bar later in the evening. The bar staff were efficient and very friendly as were all staff we encountered in the hotel.
The breakfast in the morning was superb. Once again, efficient and attentive staff made for a very pleasant experience and the food was well cooked and tasty.
The most surprising factor for us was that the hotel had added a service charge to our bill.This is not something we have ever experienced in any other hotel before. We always tip for good service and had already included one on the bar bill we'd signed for. But to levy a service charge for our room seemed quite unnecessary. We thought this was included as part of your room tariff? Clearly not.
This would deter us from staying in the future. Such a shame as there was so much about St James' which was exceptional.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Nursemate73
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I am a tea lover and my husband has been trying to treat me to high tea for many years. Being allergic to gluten certainly makes that goal more of a challenge. We haven't had much luck where we live (USA-New England). In early May 2014 my husband and I visited London. I was pleased to see there were a couple of options for gf tea ( London overall is a very easy place to travel with gluten issues)We made reservations for our last day of our trip (5/5/14) a few days in advance (they ask that you call in advance so they have time to prepare the gf tea but also say that calling by noon for that same day is enough notice). We were greeted by the door man and shown in to the lounge. Our server showed us to a delightful table in the corner with a nice window seat and after inquiring about water and settling in our tea service began. We were both starving as we skipped lunch to be sure we could fully enjoy the experience (our tea was at 3pm). I honestly can't say enough about the whole experience. The service was wonderful and the food was outstanding. My husband who is not gf had the gf tea as well (for solidarity he said :) ) and he was surprised at how delicious it was as well. I ordered the Assam tea and my husband ordered the Earl Grey. Both were high quality teas and came in big pots. By the end of the tea they did begin to cool off but we did take our time so that's understandable. The sandwiches were delicious : egg, ham, cucumber and smoked salmon. They were all wonderful. I expected the ham to be my least favorite as I like ham but don't love it. It turns out the ham was my favorite but all the sandwiches were excellent really. The bread was soft and fresh. We had two types of scones: plain and bitter raisin (I think that's what they called it). They were absolutely phenomenal. Before my diagnosis scones were a favorite of mine. I was so pleased to find such good gf scones. They were served with clotted cream and various jams. Even my husband who is not a scone lover (even if it has gluten) finished both of his. The desserts were plentiful and outstanding. Bit by the time we got to the dessert I was quite full. I managed to taste them all and my husband (who might I add is not normally a gf dessert lover) finished mine and all of his. There were cakes and cupcakes a delicious macaroon and a mini banofee and more. I believe we each had six or seven mini desserts. I was completely satisfied and very full. Overall I can't say enough about the tea. The service was very good the food was phenomenal and the tea delicious. I am glad I got to finally experience this English tradition despite my food allergy. Well done St James!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tracy S
Reviewed 5 May 2014

A really lovely hotel in a brilliant location. We stayed in a deluxe room. It was large compared to some I have stayed in in London. It also had the best bed I have ever slept in in a hotel! I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Newbs82
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I recently stayed at the hotel for a business trip to London. Everything was excellent and the service was flawless. Great room looking into a lovely London Mews and the location is great close to Green park tube so very easy to get around town

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Adrian N
Antibes, France
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We stayed here for two nights; entertained 13 people for lunch; ate in the bistro in the evening and entertained another 2 friends on the second day for lunch. It was a really pleasurable experience at every level. The food is superb and the website gives a true portrayal of what one can expect. Do trust the sommelier Marco. We love wine and have some knowledge - but he was able to suggest some perfect matches for the food which we and all our guests loved. Paolina too contributed to a really relaxed and enjoyable meal with her unobtrusive management of a group of people who were served in a timely and friendly manner. In terms of accommodation we had two quiet and really good night's sleep in a Junior suite. All staff were helpful, accommodating and I would use a term they used, and used accurately - they hosted us. Being in a cul de sac, yet so near to lovely shopping arcades, Buckingham Palace etc. makes this a really special part of London to be in. I cannot speak highly enough of St. James's Hotel and Club.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple