“Quiet Spot in London”

Ranked #96 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Quiet Spot in London”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I recently stayed three nights here for business.

I've pretty much only stayed at the St. James's Hotel & Club for the past few years, having tried a number of options previously. I love the location, how small the hotel is, the breakfast, and the friendliness of the staff.

This time didn't really disappoint, though the overall experience wasn't as great as before. My room had kind of a weird smell, like they were masking water damage? It didn't bother me so much, but it was noticeable. I'd also corresponded with folks before arriving - I wanted to be able to check in early - and the front desk wasn't really clued in to this when I arrived. No big deal, though, my room was ready.

Breakfast remained awesome. My room was quiet. Obviously the location didn't change...

I'm sure that I'll be back!

Room Tip: The elevator is really small and slow, so I tend to take the stairs. As such, you might not want to...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Robert D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Normally this hotel would be out of my price range but thanks Slendia.com's weekend special we saved 20% off of our room. After having a bad and cramped experience at Z Hotel Piccadilly my husband asked me to just book a nice hotel no matter the cost - so we booked St. James.

The hotel is very close to buckingham palace and a bit further from everywhere else. About a 5 to 10 minute walk to closest tube station and 20 minute walk to Trafalgar Square. It's still in the center of the city on a charming and quite street.

The staff was wonderful and so attentive and definitely behaved like a 5 star hotel. The room was SO beautiful and comfy. It was wonderful to just wear our robes, watch a movie and hang out in the room after a long day of sigh seeing.

The only negative comments I have are very minor: Room service is overpriced (which I expect from a ritzy hotel) and helpings are meager. Food in the dining room was also mediocre. Lastly, while the shower was fantastic, it was designed poorly so you in order to turn it on you had to get wet and get water all over the floor.

Overall my husband and I had a very cozy stay here and would recommend it.

Room Tip: We had the most basic room on ground floor and even that was fabulous
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed for three days and although the staff were at times charming, particularly the doorman, there were some pretty big frustrations:

1. The breakfast service (at the weekend) was totally chaotic as the area and staffing are totally inadequate - other guests were constantly having to wait and general service levels were amongst the poorest I have ever experienced in any hotel - although individually the staff were polite and tried hard.

2. We were charged an additional hotel 'service charge' when we checked out which we were told was for the staff. I think this is pretty outrageous - we tip anyway and when you see the number on your bill are placed in an impossible position of then asking the desk staff to remove the additional fee. I have never stayed in a UK hotel which has done this and at the prices this venue charges I would expect them to pay their staff properly out of the standard room rate without trying to pass it through to the guests.

Feels like it is being run for cashflow not the guests. We will not be going back anytime soon - at this price there are plenty of other options.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
12 Thank Edinburghlondon
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I have just spent a fun weekend in London England on pleasure and not business. What fun! The concierge and colleagues of the St. James Club go beyond the call of duty to helps with all your London needs and wants....Especially Dan the Smiling Doorman...He never stops smiling and makes your day beyond pleasant...

One Issue....The guests that continue to smoke in their rooms should be removed from the Hotel. Unfortunately we had to put up with their second hand smoke for two nights as the front desk seemed remiss at addressing the issue with the guests....Next time...remove them from the Hotel please.... Thank you ...

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank James B
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This is such a great hotel! Staring with the front door man, he was amazing, such a character!!!
We stayed in a great family room on the ground floor. 2 double rooms, 2 bathrooms, family lounge area and room for a roll away bed. The beds are huge and comfortable. The shower/bath was a little tricky to use, some days it was tricky getting hot water. A tv in the bathroom, if only i knew how it worked!!
High tea the afternoon we arrived was a treat, yummy cakes and sandwiches. Lucia makes amazing cocktails, our family loved her!
The staff are very friendly, at the end of each day they always wanted to know what we got up to.
The hotel is very close to Piccadilly and Green Park tube station, a very quick taxi ride to Oxford Street. A very quiet location, in a dead end street so there is no street traffic!
I heard the top floor suites have great views, maybe next time for me?

Room Tip: We emailed before hand and explained that we are a family of 5 adults and they came up with a great...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank emmzie25
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed at St James Hotel in the heart of Mayfair for one night. From the beginning the staff were friendly and attentive and they were kind enough to upgrade us to a deluxe room with a balcony.

The Room - it had a walk in closet and nice deep bath with a separate rain shower, as well as a desk, small seating area and super king bed, which was very comfortable. The balcony was a nice touch and the even though it was a hot summer day the air conditioning worked perfectly. There was a lovely fresh bouquet of flowers in our room on arrival, as well as bottles of sparkling water and a bowl of fresh fruit. Fast Wifi was also included.

The Location - it's located in the heart of Mayfair with easy walk to all the upmarket shops and near the tube station. It's also within walking distance of places like soho and oxford street. The hotel is housed in a beautiful building down a quiet side street and we had a very peaceful sleep.

Staff - the staff were very friendly and went out of there way to help us with anything we needed, couldn't fault them, except for waiting for ages for coffee at breakfast (we think he forgot our order)

Food - we didn't eat in the restaurant but we did order room service, we ordered after 11pm so the menu was very restricted but the cheesecake was lovely. In the morning we had the continental breakfast and we have stayed at many hotels in London - most around 3-4 star and since this is 5 star I suppose we expected maybe a larger selecting and it was somewhat underwhelming. There was nothing wrong with what was on offer but they were a bit slow to replace the pastries and cold meats and only offered a small selection of cereals, breads and juices.

Otherwise we really enjoyed our stay, the room was spotless, stylish and large and the staff were friendly, I would recommend this hotel when staying in London. Perfect for a luxury city break

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Laura S
Manchester
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Having saved up to celebrate a special occasion in London, we were very pleased to be able to stay in a hotel that exceeded our expectations and treated us like special guests rather than customers. The photos really don't do it justice- we booked a standard room via lastminute's top secret hotels& were double upgraded to an executive room with a balcony, walk-in wardrobe, jacuzzi & the biggest bed I've ever slept in! Thank you very much to Alice for arranging this for us& the doorman who helped us carry our bags to the tube station- as much as the room was amazing it was the very warm welcome that made our stay so special and memorable.

• Stayed August 2013