“Flawless class and hospitality”

St. James's Hotel and Club
Ranked #96 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Melbourne, Australia
“Flawless class and hospitality”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights with my partner. Having lived in London for a few years, I knew in which area I wanted to stay. This hotel is right next to Green Park (Piccadilly, Victoria and Jubilee lines) tube station and adjacent to St James Park (ask the hotel about their secret back-door exit to the park. Since the hotel is in a dead-end street, it is peaceful.

Rooms are luxuriously decked out - from the comfortable beds (we stayed in 2 different rooms having missed our flight and needing an extra night to stay) to the beautiful and well-appointed classically English bathrooms.

What makes this a truly special hotel is the service. The front desk attendants are smiling and friendly. Dan, one of the front-door mean, is a delight. The bell-boys are industrious and keep to please.

I cannot flaw this hotel. I can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Room 407 is a superior room (i.e. the cheapest room) and it has 2 balconies overlooking the street...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank orj7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
South West
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel this month, August, for a trip to London and the staff were excellent! The two boys on the door one a londoner and the other french were fantastic and in London thats good to find. We only stayed overnight but the room was lovely and comfortable and breakfast was good and although a buffet the waitress brought everything for us so that was even better. One thing though the poached eggs were over done but didnt complain as the rest of stay was brilliant. Will definately stay again. Very good position for some wonderful resturants and Dukes bar nearby!!

Room Tip: 301 has a terrace
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank PinkladySouthWest
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 19 August 2014

As a very frequent and demanding business traveller, I am a critical reviewer of what I am offered and what I have paid for. This hotel comes as close to perfection, in it's category, as is humanly possible. From the perfect reception, to the overall service, comfort of the room, quality of food, athmosphere in the bar, the Michelin restaurant, to price/quality balance, I can find no fault. It happens to me once in 50 times I book a hotel, and please note I am already very selective in my booking choices.

Room Tip: I have stayed 3 times in the hotel, I always been given the same room. I can not imagine bad ones ar...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Rob M
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I recently stayed three nights here for business.

I've pretty much only stayed at the St. James's Hotel & Club for the past few years, having tried a number of options previously. I love the location, how small the hotel is, the breakfast, and the friendliness of the staff.

This time didn't really disappoint, though the overall experience wasn't as great as before. My room had kind of a weird smell, like they were masking water damage? It didn't bother me so much, but it was noticeable. I'd also corresponded with folks before arriving - I wanted to be able to check in early - and the front desk wasn't really clued in to this when I arrived. No big deal, though, my room was ready.

Breakfast remained awesome. My room was quiet. Obviously the location didn't change...

I'm sure that I'll be back!

Room Tip: The elevator is really small and slow, so I tend to take the stairs. As such, you might not want to...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Robert D
San Diego, California
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Normally this hotel would be out of my price range but thanks Slendia.com's weekend special we saved 20% off of our room. After having a bad and cramped experience at Z Hotel Piccadilly my husband asked me to just book a nice hotel no matter the cost - so we booked St. James.

The hotel is very close to buckingham palace and a bit further from everywhere else. About a 5 to 10 minute walk to closest tube station and 20 minute walk to Trafalgar Square. It's still in the center of the city on a charming and quite street.

The staff was wonderful and so attentive and definitely behaved like a 5 star hotel. The room was SO beautiful and comfy. It was wonderful to just wear our robes, watch a movie and hang out in the room after a long day of sigh seeing.

The only negative comments I have are very minor: Room service is overpriced (which I expect from a ritzy hotel) and helpings are meager. Food in the dining room was also mediocre. Lastly, while the shower was fantastic, it was designed poorly so you in order to turn it on you had to get wet and get water all over the floor.

Overall my husband and I had a very cozy stay here and would recommend it.

Room Tip: We had the most basic room on ground floor and even that was fabulous
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed for three days and although the staff were at times charming, particularly the doorman, there were some pretty big frustrations:

1. The breakfast service (at the weekend) was totally chaotic as the area and staffing are totally inadequate - other guests were constantly having to wait and general service levels were amongst the poorest I have ever experienced in any hotel - although individually the staff were polite and tried hard.

2. We were charged an additional hotel 'service charge' when we checked out which we were told was for the staff. I think this is pretty outrageous - we tip anyway and when you see the number on your bill are placed in an impossible position of then asking the desk staff to remove the additional fee. I have never stayed in a UK hotel which has done this and at the prices this venue charges I would expect them to pay their staff properly out of the standard room rate without trying to pass it through to the guests.

Feels like it is being run for cashflow not the guests. We will not be going back anytime soon - at this price there are plenty of other options.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
12 Thank Edinburghlondon
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I have just spent a fun weekend in London England on pleasure and not business. What fun! The concierge and colleagues of the St. James Club go beyond the call of duty to helps with all your London needs and wants....Especially Dan the Smiling Doorman...He never stops smiling and makes your day beyond pleasant...

One Issue....The guests that continue to smoke in their rooms should be removed from the Hotel. Unfortunately we had to put up with their second hand smoke for two nights as the front desk seemed remiss at addressing the issue with the guests....Next time...remove them from the Hotel please.... Thank you ...

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family