“great sight-seeing location but very expensive”

St. James's Hotel and Club
Ranked #84 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Brighton
“great sight-seeing location but very expensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2009

I took my boyfriend here for his birthday - we are both in our 20's. Before booking this hotel i was deciding between this one and the Marriott County Hall which was the same price. I think for us the Marriott would have been much better suited. We booked a deluxe double and when we arrived were given a twin mattress and the room didn't have a bath. So we got moved to what was described as a much smaller room with a double bed. The hotel had lots of floors and had an almost Faulty Towers feel (but a very plush faulty towers)! The room was small but it was fine for us, very comfortable bed and a nice bathroom with double sinks, robes and slippers. It also had a balcony overlooking the front of the hotel which was nice, and lots of paintings which we like. We had a drink in the bar one evening which was very expensive, £14 for a small cocktail, £6 for a beer and £4.50 for a little bottle of juice from the mini bar...and they added on tax on departure. The staff were very friendly. I think the bar was also the restaurant as we didn't see a separate restaurant. We didn't use the tube once, walking mostly, and used a few taxi's. I would recommend this hotel for people wanting a very discreet quiet hotel, maybe for older travellers and people with lots of money to spend around Mayfair.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2009

Really liked this hotel. Has a gentlemans club feel to it (so it should i guess as it used to be one!). Beautifully appointed rooms and quite luxurious. Pricey but worth it. Night room service was so slow though that I had to call looking for my order a few times.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank FrequentFlyerDublin
Salzburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2009

I stayed at The St. James Hotel and Club recently whilst in London on business. Normally I would have thought it was 'exclusive membership' only from the name, but actually a friend recommended this hotel. The location suited me pretty well - my appointments were in Berkeley Square mainly, so I could walk there. The building is quite elegant in a Victorian way, but when you go in the inside it is very contemporary and chic. They have used lots of rich colours and expensive fabrics to create a very warm atmosphere. Staff were very friendly and helpful, all in a natural way - I needed an adaptor for my laptop, which arrived pretty soon. I had a quiet room on the third floor which had a terrace outside (so I could smoke..) and the bed was one of the best I have ever slept in. The bar is quite spectacular and crowded when I came in. I bumped into the Hotel Manager, Mr. Tim Pettifer, in the lobby, who coincidentally knew the friend that recommended my this hotel. I would definitely go back with my wife, as it is close enough for the theatre and offers good value for money!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Carl-Peter1969