“Quirky, quiet hotel”

Ranked #224 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Red Deer, Canada
“Quirky, quiet hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

We stayed at the Threadneedles hotel for 3 nights recently. The area is very quiet on the weekend and although very close to Bank Tube station first time visitors to London may prefer a location more conveniently located to more London attractions. It would be a great place to stay if you had business in the City. Our room was comfortable but quite dark and oddly designed (very narrow with unusually high ceiling). The furniture was jammed in and I couldn't turn on the lamp because the TV and coffee table prevented me from getting to it. The wallpaper was peeling a little and there were other signs of wear and tear around the room. Bathroom was fine and well-equipped. The lobby area is attractive but I found the way the reception staff stood up from their desk everytime we entered the hotel a little disconcerting. Really you don't have to do that and for me it doesn't add value to my stay at all. With a little updating this could be a very nice hotel but for the premium price we paid I was a little disappointed.

1 Thank rdabca
Threadneedles, Interim General Manager at Threadneedles, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay with us.

We fully take on board your comments about your room needing an upgrade. We are actually in the process of arranging for our rooms to have a soft refurbishment later in the year.

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed and felt that you did not get good value for money during your stay with us. I do hope that you will return and ask you to contact me directly on your next visit so that I can personally oversee your stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
St Albans
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

We stayed at the Threadneedles Hotel over a weekend as we were at a wedding in the City. We had a great experience and were sorry that we didn't have the time to fully appreciate the hotel. We had a very comfortable quiet room with excellent facilities. The hotel is right in the City, near to Bank tube and close to the Bank of England as the name suggests! Breakfast was very good and it made a pleasant change to be served to your table rather than having a buffet style breakfast. The staff were very friendly and service was good, I loved being able to leave my shoes outside our room for the shoe shine service, particularly as it was a very wet London day. When we got back home we received a bill for the use of the mini bar, which we hadn't had chance to use! I rang the hotel and the Manager was extremely helpful and the problem was rectified straight away. I would highly recommend a stay in this hotel in such a beautiful part of London and at the weekend it is so quiet and reasonable for the quality and comfort of your stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Threadneedles, Interim General Manager at Threadneedles, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Thank you for choosing Threadneedles and for taking the time to share your experience. It was a real pleasure to read your kind comments and we are delighted that you enjoyed staying with us. We look forward to your next visit! Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on that occasion.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

I recently stayed at Threadneedles for a quick business trip and had a very good experience. The hotel is well situated in the City, London’s financial district, and is a few blocks from two or three Underground stations. The rates were quite reasonable compared to other hotels in the area and I found the staff to be professional and very courteous. The lobby has a great looking atrium and is perfect for a cup of coffee or tea, or a drink at the end of the day. I didn’t eat at the restaurant, so can’t give a view on the food. The hotel lacks a fitness center, however, which is a big drawback. They have a deal with a health club in the neighborhood, but I much prefer something on site. My room was quite nice with a generous bathroom, though the TV was comically small and, oddly, square. My biggest complaint is that my “king” bed was actually two twin mattresses with a king sheet. That doesn’t count, in my book. Overall, it was a very pleasant stay in a nice boutique hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Threadneedles, Interim General Manager at Threadneedles, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Thank you for choosing Threadneedles for your business trip. Our hotel is very conveniently located, as it is just around the corner from Bank station and few minutes away from Monument and Liverpool Street. I am sorry that we are not able to offer an onsite Fitness Centre at the moment. As you mention, we do work with Virgin Active around the corner as an alternative. We are delighted that you otherwise enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff took good care of you. I do hope that we can welcome you back again in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

My daughter and I stayed in a deluxe twin room for a weekend break. The bedroom, although quite small was nice and we had a lovely en-suite bathroom which was almost the same size as the bedroom. Room was clean, beds, pillows and linen great and we had a very restful night after a hard day shopping. We stayed for breakfast on Sunday morning which was very enjoyable, if a little pricey, but the food was beautifully cooked and the service first class. Highly recommended but a little too far from the West End to be convenient.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Threadneedles, Interim General Manager at Threadneedles, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
How great it is to hear that you and your daughter had a good stay at Threadneedles. I am sorry if you found our breakfast a little pricey but I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the overall breakfast experience. We are located in the centre of the City, which is not particularly walking distance to the West End but close to many other attractions, and only a short tube or taxi ride away from the West End. It is always a pleasure to hear that our guests would recommend us! We hope to welcome you back soon. Thank you very much for your review.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

I booked the celebrate 2012 package through the hotel's website as a treat for my fiancée which gave us an executive room with a king size bed for one night, breakfast and champagne on arrival. It was a great weekend deal. There is even a shoe shine service as part of the deal if you want to make use of it. The reception area is quite unique in that you sit down to check in but I thought it was a nice feature. Every time we walked past, the staff at reception stood up out of courtesy and perhaps in anticipation that we might be walking over to speak to them. I thought they were very professional.

The room was large and immaculate and there was even a tv in the bathroom! We were also given complementary water and fruit. The bed was very comfortable, the room was contemporary and very clean. I couldn't fault anything. The breakfast was also great and it was a nice touch that they played some relaxing music in the breakfast area.

I thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Threadneedles, Interim General Manager at Threadneedles, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Thank you for choosing Threadneedles and for such positive feedback. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, the hotel and our services. We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please contact me directly on that occasion.
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

My wife and I snuck away to London for a cultural weekend recently and stayed in this exquisite hotel. Don't be fooled by the grey stone front which would not mark it out from any of the adjoining drab offices; the doors open to reveal a splendid airy lobby topped by a beautiful glass cupola bearing the crest of the bank that formerly occupied the building. We stayed in a luxury room which is the smallest of the range on offer, but it was more than adequate for our needs and was appointed with pretty much every convenience and appliance one might need.

The service was first class. From attentive staff standing up behind their reception tables as we entered the lobby, to procuring a very pleasant cabernet sauvignan on our belated return from a night out.

The hotel is handy for local attractions. We visited Vinopolis just across the river, the Museum of London, the Monument and Galvin La Chapelle for lunch - all easily accessible on foot.

Complaints? None really - the breakfast looked very expensive for what was on offer. So we went elsewhere instead. And the bar is perhaps not the cosiest part of the hotel. But these are not significant issues.

We had a great stay and I'd recommend this place to anyone.

1 Thank David A
Threadneedles, Interim General Manager at Threadneedles, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback about your experience at Threadneedles. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, the hotel, your room and our location. It is comments like this that encourage us to achieve greater results. We hope to welcome you back in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me on that occasion.
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

This is a great spot for a weekend stay in London. It is really close to Liverpool St tube station which is handy if you're flying into Stansted. I often sleep badly in city hotels because of traffic noise and humming aircon units but this was amazingly quiet and tranquil. The beds are great. We had two very restful nights sleep. It is really handy for exploring the area around St Pauls, Tate Modern etc on foot and Bank tube station is on the Central line which brings you right into Oxford St. We didn't have breakfast here so can't comment on the food. And I love the honesty bar- a low key night cap is just what you want after a busy day.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Threadneedles, Interim General Manager at Threadneedles, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Thank you so much for choosing Threadneedles. We would also like to thank you for your fantastic comments on the Hotel and its location. We look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in the near future; please contact me directly on that occasion.