“Better than expected”

Threadneedles, Autograph Collection
Ranked #217 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

I have become a Marriott fan in the last two years but never stayed in an Autograph Collection before (their quirky brand).
As a first, I was truly impressed. The hotel lobby is impressive and I think, since it's in the heart of London City, this location used to be a bank (it kind of looks like one)
It's a 3 minute walk to Bank tube station (Central line) and it is in an extremely quiet area.
The food was nice - try their club sandwich.
Also, this has been the hotel with the most TV Channels I've ever seen - in excess of 120!

What I wasn't impressed with were:
1. The breakfast (I had the smallest and tasteless omelette ever) and the breakfast staff assumed that I didn't need a teaspoon for my coffee!!! I then asked for a pot of hot water (I had my own herbal tea) and the waitress brought me Breakfast tea!

2. The hallways (leading to the rooms) could do with a fresh paint and a change of carpet

3. The air conditioning system is not the best I'd had - for someone coming from the North of Scotland, some rooms can be really hot! So, it's been on constantly since we arrived but it just can't cope very well

If you can live with these, then it's really worth staying there

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank EmmaABZ
Lawder S, General Manager at Threadneedles, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear EmmaABZ
Thank you for your review, I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and would consider returning. You will be plased to know that we have recently replaced some of the air conditioning plant and so the bedroom units are now much more effective. I am sure you will see a difference on your next visit.
Lawder Smith

Write a ReviewReviews (1,200)

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Our Threadneedles stay during the April 2014 London Marathon was purely brilliant! My partner and I were upgraded to the Armstrong Suite for 2 nights. It was coincidental that we are fans of Neil Armstrong! The suite was elegantly and smartly decorated. The lounge/living room looked like an understated yet relaxing and smart bachelor's pad, lined with fascinating books, modern lighting, armchairs with ottoman, a Nespresso and still and sparkling waters. Bedroom was luxurious and large and well-furnished. The modern and elegant bathroom has separate rainfall shower and a large tub for soaking and relaxing after a busy day of exploring the City and fighting your ways across the sea of suits. Yes, those business folks in their proper suits were rushing about in this financial district and it made us thankful that we were on vacation! The hotel breakfast was excellent and so we lingered. Coffee and latte were outstanding and juices were freshly squeezed. We have never seen so much bacon in the bacon and egg brioche, which was simply delicious. This five-star hotel is near to three underground stations (Bank, Monument, and Cannon Street) and several buses that would take you everywhere including London Bridge, Millenium Bridge, Tate, St. Paul, Charing Cross, Trafalgar Square, National Gallery and Portrait Gallery, and even to Islington where you could savor over robust and delicious dishes at Ottolenghi Cafe. Wifi was slow but management told us that it would be upgraded in late April. We have booked another night stay at the Threadneedles for August and can't wait to be pampered again. Bravo!

4  Thank MeTwitty1Day

Dear Wokntok
Thank you for your kind review. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you appreciated our really great locatin with easy and quick access to all parts of London via tube or bus.
We have now upgraded our wi-fi with the installation of a new fibre optic cable, which has significantly increased the speeds. ( For other readers, we offer free wi-fi throughout the hotel bedrooms and public areas).
We hope you will enjoy your upcoming stay in August just as much.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Placement is ca 200 meters from Bank Underground and 10 minutes walking from Liverpool Street Station.
Large room - no noises from outside and no view :-) A little noise could be heard from the hallway.
A little time for check in and check out.
Wifi was a little unstable but this will only be under the maintenance time.
A bit boring TV channels but not important.
Nespresso machine in the room.
Overall a good stay in London and recommended.
Free water was provided in the room.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear svharkes
Thank you for leaving feedback after your last stay with us. You will be pleased to hear that our wifi speeds have now been increased with the installation of a new fibre optic cable.
I do hope you will be back again soon.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

I planned to do something a little special for my milestone Birthday, and what better than book a 5 star hotel? This establishment did not disappoint in the slightest. Everything about it is indeed 5 star! My wife and I were treated to a complimentary drink on arrival, and when it was mentioned that we were staying overnight for my 40th, we were upgraded to a beautiful and very spacious Executive room...at no extra cost.

The bed was extremely comfortable, and the room had all the facilities that you would expect. Even just walking through the main door, you can pick up the beautiful ambience of the surroundings. We didn't want to leave the next day!

We both loved this hotel so much, that we are considering coming back for my Birthday next year. If you have the extra money to spend, and fancy a city break (with an extra treat thrown in) I'd thoroughly recommend staying here. An extremely pleasant experience all round. Well done Team Threadneedles...and many thanks for the Birthday Card too, nice touch!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Lawder S, General Manager at Threadneedles, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear The_1000
Thank you for your review. i am delighted that you chsoe t spend your special birthday with us and hope you will be back for many more.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Stayed last Saturday with my wife on a birthday outing. This is the perfect London hotel if you like good service, nice surroundings and some peace and quiet in the City. The staff were friendly and efficient and the service was excellent. We were in a new Executive room on the third floor which was spacious and well appointed. It was very peaceful and the internet was free along with bottled water in the room. Breakfast was top-notch. Threadneedles is located in an interesting part of London with lots of history and access to other areas is easy by tube (Bank) or cab. We will stay again.

Dear psri
Thank you for leaving feedback, I am delighted that, like many others, you felt able to rate us 5/5. I hope you will be back for many more celebratory weekends.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I booked this hotel as part of an anniversary weekend trip to London partly because i am a Marriott Reward Member and i am so glad i did.
Like several other reviewers we were greeted with a glass of Prosecco on arrival and our room upgraded at no extra cost. The room was at the back of the hotel, so no noise but as the City is quiet over the weekend a room at the front would have been the same. The bathroom was spacious, the bed bigger than a king size and there were the usual tea/coffee making facilities and a fully stocked mini bar.
We had a couple of drinks in the bar and i would say the prices were reasonable for the City.
The hotel is within walking distance of Liverpool Street station and we also walked to the Shard, Borough Market HMS Belfast and other Thames-side attractions.
We arrived back from the West End on Saturday night and were still able to order a snack at the bar.
This was a great find and we will certainly stay again when we next overnight in London.

Dear collec2r
I am so pleased you chose our hotel for your anniversary weekend. ( We have become a very popular coice for anniversaries, birthdays, proposals etc). I am glad you appreciated our great location with peaceful surroundings at weekends, yet within easy walking distance of many of London's great attractions.
We look forward to seeing you back with us again soon.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I only had an overnight stay here, but was generally impressed. Well located if you're in the city for business, the hotel has a nice foyer and attentive staff. My room was reasonably sized, clean and comfortable, with free Wifi. Room service was quick, and breakfast in the restaurant was very nice. A couple of quirks - a translucent bathroom door, and a shower set-up that made it impossible not to end up with a wet bathroom floor - did not really detract from what was a very pleasant stay. All in all, I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank 007Sydney

Dear 007Sydney
Thank you for leaving a review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated our great location. Sorry to hear that you were disappointed by the design of the bathroom - some of our bathrooms have Japanese showers, which are not fully enclosed, it sounds as if you may have had one of these rooms. On your next stay, be sure to ask for a room with a separate shower cbicle ibn the bathroom.