“First Class city hotel.”

Threadneedles, Autograph Collection
Ranked #208 of 1,068 Hotels in London
London
“First Class city hotel.”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

First impressions of Threadneedles were excellent. Stunning foyer, the sort that makes you stop in your tracks just to simply admire. The reception staff were extremely pleasant, and could not have been more helpful if they tried, as they bent over backwards to try and cater for my early arrival.

My room was lovely. Average in size by London standards, but nicely appointed, and came complete with the excellent Marriot bed, which to me instantly means I am in for a good night’s sleep. Sound proofing was also very good. Only negative comment, poor TV selection. No film channels, and despite the fact I am a Brit, staying in a hotel in London, belonging to an American chain, the selection of English language TV available was poor, being limited to a handful of international satellite channels.

Had a drink in the bar, and the staff were again first class, and very attentive. Checkout was again handled professionally and with the minimum of fuss.

All in all and extremely pleasant stay in what is a first class city hotel in a very convenient location.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank MattDrewry
Lawder S, General Manager at Threadneedles, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Matt Drewry
Thank you for leaving a review of your stay with us. I am fglad that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and that you found our team so helpful - it is the staff that make the difference between a good and a great hotel.
I am sorry that you found the selection of English Languaghe channels poor. For other readers, we do in fact have 86 channels on our bedroom TV's. 39 of these are in English and the others cover most Europpean, Asian and Arabic languages, to reflect the wide mix of nationalities who stay with us.
Lawder Smith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Lucerne, Switzerland
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I have stayed at the Treadneedles on a business trip because it is very well located and I have heard good things about it. The room was quite nice, but from my window I looked straight into the next office building which was only about 2 meters away. People there could actually look easily into my room. This is really not what I expect from such a good hotel and when charged so much for a room. The staff was friendly, but all in all impersonal. Next time in London, I would check out another hotel in the area. Also, if you go on a leisure trip and not for work, I couldn't recommend the hotel at all, because there is nothing really open in the area in the evening.

Room Tip: ask for a room that is not so terribly close to the office building next to it.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Zegilu
Lawder S, General Manager at Threadneedles, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Zegilu
I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with the view from your hotel room. It is true that, like most hotels in London, we are surrounded by other buildings of similar height and so the outlook from most bedroom windows will be of the buildings opposite or next door. As we are located in the city, the buildings around us are banks and offices as opposed to flats or hotels and so there is no-one facing our windows at the times our guests tend to be in their rooms ie early mornings or evenings.
I am surprised that you believed the restaurants around us close in the evenings, there in fact dozens of restaurants all around this area, catering for a wide range of tastes, cuisines and budgets. These are nearly all open for lunch and dinner Monday to Friday, although many do close on Saturday's and Sunday's. Our Front Desk staff will always be able to advise which are open.
Davie, Florida, United States
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This hotel is a beautiful hotel with spacious rooms and bathrooms. It has a downstairs restaurant which has a a fine breakfast selection to start your day. The location of the hotel is also good from the standpoint that it is near the Bank station which station can get you on every tube line and thus take you anywhere you need to go.

The downside of the location is that since it is in the business district there are few restaurants within walking distance and even fewer on the weekend. As a result, to get a variety of restaurants you would need to take the train. On the plus side is that since it is in the business district the hotel is very quiet.

Lastly, the staff was friendly but seemed a bit on the inexperienced side and seemed themselves to be foreigners and therefore lacked a lot of local knowledge. Given the lack of local knowledge and given that the location has limited restaurant choices I think the management would do well to compile a list of recommended restaurants that could be accessed within reason by train.

Overall of great hotel choice for seasoned London travelers, less so for first timers with families.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Ken D
Thank you for your review, I am delighted that you found this to be a "Fine Hotel" and that you enjoyed the breakfast.
Whilst we are located in the city, (the oldest part of London), the city has changed considerably over the last 10 years. There are now dozens of good restaurants and high end shops all around the hotel. Many of these do close on Saturday's and Sundays when the city is much quieter, but our Front Desk staff will always be able to advise where to eat at weekends. For guests who want a wider choice on Saturday's and Sunday's, Bank tube station is just a 3 minute walk away and is only a few short stops from the West End.
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on business a few weeks ago. Couldn't fault it. Great staff, lovely food. Decor is nice and was very clean and tidy. I would say it's more suitable to a business person rather than a tourist but would imagine it would be equally as nice for either.

• Stayed June 2014
Lawder S, General Manager at Threadneedles, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear SarahLouise1956
Thank you for leaving a review, I'm delighted that you felt able to rate us 5/5 and you are right that we are equally suitable for business or leisure guests. Our great location in the heart of The City, makes us an ideal venue for those needing to be in the financial district for work, yet with Bank Tube station only minutes away, leisure guests can be in the heart of the Wsst End in 10 minutes.
yorkshire
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I stayed here on business last month and the hotel was stunning, the dome ceiling was beautiful and very impressive. The staff were curteous and very helpful, I was offered a glass of complimentary prosecco during check in, so they were gteed a glowing review :-) Well located close to the underground, and within a good walking distance to Spitalfields Market.
The neighbourhood is very quiet over the weekends though, we were hoping to eat at nearby Jamie's Italian but its shut at the weekend.
Breakfast was very nice, a good selection for those not wanting a full english - i had the new yorker which is waffles, fruit and bacon. The room was spacious, very clean and perfect for me.
I cannot comment on the price as work picked up the tab, but I would definately visit again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Lawder S, General Manager at Threadneedles, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Sarahlouuk
Thank you so much for leaving a review of our hotel, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and even better that your company were paying for you. ( it would have been very good value even if you had been paying yourself, and you can always guarantee the best available rates by going direct to our website). I hope you will be back with us again very soon.
best regards
General manager
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on a weekend in March while attending a course in London. The hotel is lovely and quiet at the weekend and I had a super room. The only negative would be that the city is quiet on the weekend and the hotel lacks a bit of buzz for the solo traveller...

Stayed July 2014
Dear Mandela10
I am deligted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, but sorry to hera that you were having to work over the weekend.
It is true that the City of London is much quieter at weekends (isn't it nice to have peace and quiet and clear roads in the centre of London !), but with Bank tube station only a hundred yards from the hotel, it is so easy to get to all the major shopping and tourist sights - Oxford circus ( ideal for the shopping meccas of Oxford Street and Regent Street) is only 10 minutes on the tube.
I do hope you will be back again soon and have time to enjoy all that London has to offer.
Regards
washington dc
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Location makes walking a strong ;possibility...that's the plus.

Upside:

Front desk staff young but personable and professional.

Downsides.

Dining room staff is unpolished, young, inexperienced and impersonal.

Food expensive, even by London standards. Breakfast for two easily $100, believe it or not.

Rooms are not large and avoid lower floors. Noisy, they're practically at street level. Double decker bus looks in your window. View is to building across alley with no privacy and Mon-Fri workers looking in your window. Got moved to a suite. It was smaller than first room without any dresser draws. None.

Got a good rate for London, but other than that. Not a great experience.

Room Tip: high floor only
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank beachrestaurantfan
Dear Beachrestaurantfan

I was sorry to read from your review of your disappointment with your stay ( although glad to hear that you felt it was a good rate and that our reception team were very personable).
Like most London hotels, we are surrounded by other equally high buildings and so the views from windows are inevitably of the buildings accross the road. In our case these are banks and offices, so only occupied during office hours. No one is facing your window in the evenings, early mornings or at weekends, as they would be if we had flats or other hotels opposite us.
I was very concerned to hear that you felt the restaurant staff at breakfast were unpolished, I have discussed your comments with our Restaurant Manager , who I know will address this with her team. With regards the price , we offer an a la carte breakfast, rather than a fixed price, so the cost does depend on how much and what you order.
I do hope that your disappointment on this occassion will not deter you from trying other Autograph Hotels.