“Elegant hotel in all respects...”

Threadneedles, Autograph Collection
Ranked #220 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Atlanta, Georgia
“Elegant hotel in all respects...”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Elegant venue, well located, pleasant staff - service is probably impeccable, although i didn't have occasion to utilize it...you walk in the place and everything just feels as it should. I didn't pay full price, as there was a HotelTonight deal... I shudder to think of what full price was, but it was an absolute pleasure.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Lawder S, General Manager at Threadneedles, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear ohr999
Thank you for your kind words, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our best prices are always found on our own website, although we do use the majority of the on-line travel agencies as well so that guests can book however they find it easiest.
Lawder Smith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Stayed for 2 nights on a business trip recently. Great location, especially if you're doing business at The City. Very spacious and well-decorated rooms, equipped with all the amenities one would want. Though, beware that some rooms have very poor/ intermittent mobile phone signal (I use EE and 3) and had to request a room change. Fantastic house keeping (twice daily). Front of house staff could be hit and miss though, which was a shame! Check out was a semi-chaos as there were only 2 desks and what it seemed like a million guests checking out at the same time... All in all, a good hotel

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jasperlai8429
Dear Jasperlai8429
Thank you for your review of your recent stay. I am sorry that you were delayed at checkout. We only have 74 bedrooms and so there is seldom a delay at reception as guests are checking and out throughout the day. Please be assured that your experience is not indicative of the normally personal and attentive service our guests receive from reception.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed here for two nights during visit to London in March. Ideal location situated in the heart of London. The nearest tube station, Bank, is a 5 minute walk but first time visitors may get a little confused by the streets. The hotel is located in a historic building converted from a former Citibank branch in London. The lobby has a beautiful dome and I had some really good afternoon tea. The pastry selection was inspired by 6 "Great Britons," such as Churchill, Nelson, and Newton and it's quite unique. The rooms are well-furbished. They are extremely new, stylish, clean and equipped with the most avant-garde technology. The hotel restaurant does not serve dinner on Sundays I think. Marriott Gold and Platinum members have complimentary breakfast in the lobby restaurant. It was a sit-down meal with selection of British, or continental breakfast. The food was plenty and the meat was extremely succulent. At times this hotel is cheaper (50 to 100 pounds cheaper!) than other Marriott properties in central London. Strongly recommend this hotel to business travelers for its proximity to the financial center and leisure travelers who wants a break from the hustle and bustle of London - this is truly an urban oasis of silence and beauty!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Dear fzwa 1964
Thank you for your detailed review of your recent stay with us, I am so pleased you enjoyed your visit and that you found time to experience our unique "Great Britons afternoon tea".
As we are in the financial district, at weekends, it is a very peaceful location and our guests do find it a a welcome escape from the hustle and bustle of the West End, which is only a very short tube ride away.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Lawder Smith
ps. The hotel was built in 1856 as the headquarters of The City Bank, nothing to do with the Citibank of today.
Northumberland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a 2 night stay here and it could not have been better, especially as I was travelling by myself. Lovely, quiet room which was immaculately clean. Great room service too. Will certainly be back and would highly recommend.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Dear claire-marie80
Thank you for your review, I am so pleased that yuo enjoyed your stay and that you will definitely be coming back again. We look forward to welcoming you here again.
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Stayed here on a Friday night - excellent welcome and fabulous room - cool in all senses of the word. Staff were impressive until Saturday morning when our breakfast service was indifferent and a wring order had to be chased, and checkout was disaster.

We queued for about 40 minutes but the two reception staff were each held up by other guests with apparently all the problems in the world. We had to walk out at 11.40am for our train ( leaving a note with the concierge) and at that point there were still other agitated guests ahead of us waiting to checkout ( checkout time was 11am)

For £22 for breakfast it would be nice to see a more generous approach to the quality of bread used for toast - even Premier Inns can manage better than standard square sliced mothers pride. It looked and felt mean in this grand establishment.

I have been emailed 2 or 3 times to fill in their feedback survey but since I did it ( pleasantly and honestly) I haven't had any contact.

Room Tip: 121 was really spacious, quiet and light.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GHRed2012
Lawder S, General Manager at Threadneedles, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear GHRed 2012
Thank you for your review, I am so pleased you liked your room and that you found our reception staff so helpful when you arrived.
Please accept my sincere apologies that you had to queue to check out on Sunday morning, ther was in fact a wedding arty who were all leaving the hotel at the same time, whereas we are used to guests usually leaving much later in the day on Sundays.#
I do hope you will visit us again soon for another weekend break.
Regards
London
Reviewed 25 July 2014

First impressions of Threadneedles were excellent. Stunning foyer, the sort that makes you stop in your tracks just to simply admire. The reception staff were extremely pleasant, and could not have been more helpful if they tried, as they bent over backwards to try and cater for my early arrival.

My room was lovely. Average in size by London standards, but nicely appointed, and came complete with the excellent Marriot bed, which to me instantly means I am in for a good night’s sleep. Sound proofing was also very good. Only negative comment, poor TV selection. No film channels, and despite the fact I am a Brit, staying in a hotel in London, belonging to an American chain, the selection of English language TV available was poor, being limited to a handful of international satellite channels.

Had a drink in the bar, and the staff were again first class, and very attentive. Checkout was again handled professionally and with the minimum of fuss.

All in all and extremely pleasant stay in what is a first class city hotel in a very convenient location.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank MattDrewry
Dear Matt Drewry
Thank you for leaving a review of your stay with us. I am fglad that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and that you found our team so helpful - it is the staff that make the difference between a good and a great hotel.
I am sorry that you found the selection of English Languaghe channels poor. For other readers, we do in fact have 86 channels on our bedroom TV's. 39 of these are in English and the others cover most Europpean, Asian and Arabic languages, to reflect the wide mix of nationalities who stay with us.
Lucerne, Switzerland
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I have stayed at the Treadneedles on a business trip because it is very well located and I have heard good things about it. The room was quite nice, but from my window I looked straight into the next office building which was only about 2 meters away. People there could actually look easily into my room. This is really not what I expect from such a good hotel and when charged so much for a room. The staff was friendly, but all in all impersonal. Next time in London, I would check out another hotel in the area. Also, if you go on a leisure trip and not for work, I couldn't recommend the hotel at all, because there is nothing really open in the area in the evening.

Room Tip: ask for a room that is not so terribly close to the office building next to it.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Zegilu
Lawder S, General Manager at Threadneedles, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Zegilu
I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with the view from your hotel room. It is true that, like most hotels in London, we are surrounded by other buildings of similar height and so the outlook from most bedroom windows will be of the buildings opposite or next door. As we are located in the city, the buildings around us are banks and offices as opposed to flats or hotels and so there is no-one facing our windows at the times our guests tend to be in their rooms ie early mornings or evenings.
I am surprised that you believed the restaurants around us close in the evenings, there in fact dozens of restaurants all around this area, catering for a wide range of tastes, cuisines and budgets. These are nearly all open for lunch and dinner Monday to Friday, although many do close on Saturday's and Sunday's. Our Front Desk staff will always be able to advise which are open.