“Stylish stay in beautiful hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Threadneedles, Autograph Collection

Threadneedles, Autograph Collection
Ranked #240 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Stylish stay in beautiful hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed on a Saturday night lovely hotel tucked away in the city. It Is quiet at the weekend as it is close to Bank of England. The dome roof is beautiful. Staff friendly & helpful rooms clean well stocked toilettes great shower & large bath. The power breakfast is a must in the Bonds Resturant . Services is top class

Room Tip: Close to Bank, Cannon Street & monument tube station
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lawder S, General Manager at Threadneedles, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Sharon A
Thank you for the feedback, I am glad you appreciated our great location, so close to 5 underground lines, which makes access all over London so easy.
The stained glass dome which covers the lounge ( originally the main banking hall) is stunning, I hope yuo had time to sit and enjoy afternoon tea in this great location.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Lawder Smith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Greek first
Kuwait City, Kuwait
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

i stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and it was great stay.
the hotel is a quiet and i recommend it for couples.
my room was in the corner an top floor so i have a balcony and i love it.
the room size is good and the bathroom is good also, the bed is comfortable.
the hotel staff was nice.
the lobby is beautiful.
the hotel very close to Bank Station.

Room Tip: Try to get room at the top floor. Have your breakfast in your room, i love it.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Dear AboOoOody
Thank you for leaving feedback on your stay with us, I am delighted you enjoyed your visit and that you appreciated the room on the 5th floor. All our 74 rooms have the same decor and quality bathrooms, as they were all refurbished 18 months ago, although only those few rooms on the 5th floor have balconies.
I do hope we will see yuo again soon.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Arrived to check in and had to wait 10 minutes despite there being only one couple in front of me, too long, get another receptionist out.
No Porter to carry bag upstairs offered.
Suite 306 very pleasant and clean, well lit. Yes it had a Nespresso machine but no cups.
Phoned room service and after interminable ringing got a message asking me to leave a message( I don't think so) tried to phone reception, no answer
The room service menu had food stains on it,not very appealing.
Complimentary canapés did not appear at turndown.
Pile of after lunch plates outside the room opposite still there when I returned from supper.
Slept very well, nice bed
Breakfast, we both ordered egg and bacon. They got one wrong because they had put sausage and tomato as well as the egg and bacon on the plate, took several minutes to rectify despite there only being six people in the restaurant. No salt or pepper on any table(why should I have to ask)
Checkout efficient and they didn't charge for a jar of nuts and a bottle of water because of the telephone problem.
As I say five star but three or four star service.
At this price I could have gone to the Savoy where I know the service would be impeccable.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Domvalente
Lawder S, General Manager at Threadneedles, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Domvalente
I was so sorry to read of the shortcomings you experienced during your recent visit to Threadneedles. I would like to reassure you that your experience on this visit is not indicative of our usually high standards of attention to detail. I hope that your previous visit ( when you felt able to give us a 5/5 rating) will be testament to that.
Your comments are being discussed with the relevant teammembers, so that we can avoid such lapses in our service again.
I do hope you will stay with us on your next visit to London , when I am sure you will find your first review of the hotel was the right one.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

We stayed here overnight after getting a deal through Secret Escapes. The hotel was far better than expected and we were very pleasantly surprised. We were upgraded to a deluxe room, were given champagne on arrival, the staff were helpful and welcoming, and the amenities in the room were really good, with a huge bathroom and separate shower. And breakfast the next morning was fantastic, very well presented, fresh and tasty. From our experience, I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to a deluxe room which was lovely
      Rooms
Dear Candyb
Thank you for your glowing review, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much. I note that you booked through secret escapes, but for great deals, you will always find our best prices on our own website.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

For a London hotel, this was pretty reasonable. Decent sized rooms. Free Wifi worked well. Very quiet. Good breakfast (only two choices with package - continental/yogurt or power (meat/eggs)), but a little slow. Not a big hotel, but very nice. Interesting domed lobby. Quick and easy check in. Staff very helpful and friendly. Helped me scan and email a personal document. Close to subway. Can pay to use nice fitness center around corner. Not a lot of restaurants/pubs close, but you are in the financial district. Pretty quiet at night which was OK. We liked Cross Keys pub about a 5 minute walk away. Only problem was with our taxi driver finding hotel which obviously is not a hotel problem. No sign outside so very hard to see from street. Look for building number on unmarked doorway. Would go back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear Dave W
Thank you for leaving a review of our hotel, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Our entrance is very discreet and belies the grandeur of our reception lobby once you enter. I am surprised your taxi driver didn't know where it was, we have been here for 12 years now and black cab drivers should all know it. I do appreciate that for a new driver, it might be confusing since the numbering in Threadneedle Street is confusing ( We are No. 5, but are mid way along the street).
I do hope you will be back again soon.
Regards
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Because this hotel is located in the City (which, like the Financial District in NYC, is deserted on the weekends), leisure travelers can sometimes get a good deal here for a weekend stay. As the Underground is only five minutes' walk away, only those who are very timid or mobility-impaired should find the location inconvenient, and more than made up for by the attractive building itself, with good-sized (for Europe) rooms and well-kept-up, if not especially exciting, decor. (I always appreciate a place that delivers ice with the evening service.)

That said, if I were a business traveler paying a higher rate, I would note the following lapses from the standard of service expected at this level:

* Room service, while tasty, was hit or miss when it came to getting the order correct. Waffles came without the promised syrup, a requested yogurt was left off.
* The minibar was simply MISSING from my room! I requested its return, but it never made its way back. Just weird.
* My friend arranged for a massage. The therapist (from a nearby spa) was great, but the hotel's massage table was missing the headpiece!
* The room (and my friend's room) lacked the traditional book listing services and information. I couldn't work out how to call room to room, which I'm sure was very simple to do, but hard to simply guess the secret of.
* Wifi kept dropping off inexplicably (in my friend's room as well).
* I checked the box at check-in for the Independent to be delivered. It never was.
* I also checked the box for express checkout. I didn't get the bill in advance as I was supposed to.

Mostly small points individually (though I will forever wonder what happened to the minibar), but together indicating an unevenness of service that would be more bothersome at rack rate.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Sarah T
Thank you for your constructive feedback. Please accept our apologies for the shortcomings you experienced.
With regards the minibar in your room, we are in the process of replacing all the minibars in all our rooms, which should be completed shortly.
The room directory listing all the hotels facilities and what's in the local area , is, like many hotels, on the TV screen. I will ensure that reception advise first time guests of this in future.
I do hope you will try us again on yor next visit to London
lawder Smith
Corby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed for a few nights mid week and although hotel was lovely was very disheartened to witness staff rolling their eyes and sniggering when we arrived. I can only assume that they perceived us not wealthy enough to be staying at a 5* hotel. The room was nice but not spectacular with no view and windows that didn't open. one good thing was David on reception who was lovely and very non judgemental. note to snobby staff; don't judge a book by it's cover.

1 Thank Alfie066
Lawder S, General Manager at Threadneedles, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Alfie066
I was very sorry to read that you felt our reception staff were rude to you when you arrived. Please be assured that this was certainly not their intention and any laughter or sniggering was not aimed at, or about, you.
Our guests come from all walks of life and from all parts of the world. We value them all equally and aim to give each a personal service.
I will certainly pass on your kind comments to David Astbury, the Manager on Duty whom you met.