“Good Hotel, Location Ok”
Review of Grange City Hotel

Grange City Hotel
Ranked #355 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 6 June 2011

Location is far from alot of the main attraction, will have to take the tube to majority of the attractions with the exception of the Tower of London which is across the street. Hotel itself was good, clean, and has pool & gym. Staff was friendly and helpful. Not alot of places to eat for dinner however tube station is very very close.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jesslca321

Reviewed 5 June 2011

I can't say that I will ever stay here again. The reception staff are rude, unhelpful and couldn't really care less, which is not a good front for the hotel.
The rooms are fine, with nice beds, but mine on the 3rd floor was dingy and overlooked the fenchucrch st station platform directly which was odd. A member of staff just walked directly into the room to replace the water, saying he didn't think anyone was in the rooms at this time even though it was 2.30pm and check in is at 2pm, luckily I was dressed.
They then started room maintenence in the room next door at 8am the following morning, which was very noisy and even made my bed move as they were banging on the walls. I told the receptionist of this and she didn't really care.
Breakfast was way too expensive at £23 pp so we went round the corner to one of the other hotels.
Also be aware that most things are shut in the city at the weekend.
The hotel was also full of hen nights that spent their time running up and down the corriders. There was at least 2 groups of 20 hen weekenders checking in when i did.
I must say though the spa was nice and the therapist I had was very profesional.
I would not recommend this, not if you want a relxing break or a decent nights sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor they might not be so dingy
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank h0peful75
Reviewed 4 June 2011

We booked this through the secret rooms function on LastMinute.com, and got a brilliant hotel for a fantatic price.
The hotel is right next door to the tube station, which makes it really convienient to get to and from. The check in process was easy and the staff friendly. I arrived just after work so myself and a number of ther people were trying to check in at the same time. I agree with other reviews that it could do with some kind of organisation to stop people jumping ahead of each other, but everything was calm and well handled and I only had to wait about 5 min.
We had a room on the 9th floor, which was great. Not much of a view (office and railway) but the blinds worked well and the room size was fantastic, enough space to have a bed, a sofa, a desk and a couple of chairs and still be able to move around! The room felt clean and comfortable, although some of the chrome items in the bathroom were slighty scuffed and the air con was slightly noisy. Neither of these things spoilt our stay in the slightest, but maybe if I had paid full price??

Room Tip: ask for a room on one of the higher floors
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2011

The check in process is so slow. We waited ages to book in and the room wasn't ready. We then waited another 15 -20 mins just to hand our luggage over. We came back late in the afternoon and found they hadn't taken our bag to the room as they said they would.
Overall the hotel is good, comfortable and clean. Some areas of the bathroom could do with attention, as the fittings are chrome and tarnished in places. There were also some marks on the tiles around the bath area and under the sink. There was also some kind of stain on the underside of the tap. The wine glasses were coated in dust, and the mini fridge had pressure sensors, so anything you moved in the fridge, even if you put it back was charged directly to your bill. Meaning you cant use it to store your own items. There are ice machines on some floors which are very handy for drinks. The air con unit was effective in controlling the room temperature. The hotel is ideally located for visits to Tower Bridge, Tower of London and right next to the tube. Plenty of bars and restaurants all within walking distance.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights recently. Overall good experience although breakfast as others have noted was poor. The hotel also is a little too far away from the main tourist areas which means a very long walk or long tube journeys. However the bedroom which had a great view of the tower of London was quiet at night.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 27 May 2011

I stayed here for one night whilst attending an event across town. The Grange is in a great location near Tower Bridge and right next to Tower Hill Tube Station and Fenchurch St Station. In spite of the proximity to the railways, there was no disturbance from the trains.

On arrival there was a cock-up with the booking (not the hotel's fault) and I was getting a little hot under the collar. The receptionist didnt handle it brilliantly and there were occasions where she was rolling her eyes a bit but I guess I was being a bit of a prat. Check by the way is a little choatic as the reception desk is basically an island in the lobby with no natural queing system. As a consequence I fell out with a fellow guest who pushed in front of me!

The room I was allocated was 625. Smallish but fine for one night and had trouser press, iron and plenty of storage. The side of the buildign I was on is right next to a railway line but as I've said, I heard no noise from the trains and the black-out blind worked effectively. The bed was comfy and king sized.

The bath was a little dated I felt and I was a little scared of climbing out of the bath (quite a deep bath and no grab handle) but nothing too serious. I didnt eat at the hotel so can't comment on the food. I had a toblerone from the minibar however and was pleasently surprised to see that it was only £2 which is cheap by any minibar standards let alone London's!

In summary, a nice hotel, good location but I would say it's nearer to a 4 than 5 star but then again I don't run the rating schemes!

I would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 May 2011

I would not range it 5 stars.
The bathroom seemed old, the breakfast was not worth the money at all.
And I ended up having me jacket stolen from my hotel room.

So my experience is negative and I won't return there again.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends