“Birthday weekend”

Ranked #352 of 1,069 Hotels in London
kirkcaldy
“Birthday weekend”
Reviewed 25 May 2012

Nice location,not far from the tube station.Bit sad with the view from the window eeeeem railway track,however didnt plan to sit and look out at the window all weekend.Deposit for mini bar very expensive.Room serice over priced.It is London however.Wouldnt rate this hotel as 5 star

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fiferduo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (605)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I was on a layover on May 19th and wanted to experience Central London for the first time. At Heathrow I approached BHRC to find a hotel. This is where the story got bad......The CSR behide the counter asked my budget and I stated, " $250USD" he then made a phone call confirmed that I would love it for 250. After running the cc I noticed he charged me 250L equating to $350USD. The CSR then told me that nothing could be refunded. After all that I finally get to the hotel using the underground. As I walk up to the counter the displeasing attendant smiled and did not want to discuss pricing with me either by saying, " it is what it is". After that welcome statement I just want to check in and unload my baggage in the room but no so fast....the gentlemen could not find my reservation due to the name being misspelled multiply times making me wait another 10 mins in the lobby. After all was confirmed he finally gave me the key cards and sent me on my way literally! NO ONE offered to help or assist with my luggage up the odd looking ramp within the staircase and not knowing what door to go thorough for the elevator I had to basically yell back to the front kiosk gaining everyone's attention, finally that had someone wanting to take my luggage for me but by then it was too little too late! After opening the door I was surprised by the amount of space in the room but then I remembered how much I paid :( The view was the best part overlooking the bridge and mayors office but other than that I can not recommend this hotel to anyone. Walls are thin people up and down the hall ways all night were noticeable. Wake call up came 30 mins after I had requested it (lucky I set my own cell phone). Miss breakfast because I need to leave at 6am for the airport, but once again the UNwilling staff up front would not help once I asked about that concerning the day before at check in. He all but said the same thing to me, it is what it is! It felt like the front of the house personnel was disengaged and did not want to pursue happiness from their guest. In conclusion, DON'T use BHRC at Heathrow and Grange City Hotel needs to think about changing their name to...... It is What it Is Hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms facing the London Bridge, you also need to be at least on floor 7.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Bruce T
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2012

We stayed here for a weekend break, and I can't fault a single thing about this hotel. The room was more like a flat - not only because it was huge (especially for London!), but to our surprise it actually had a kitchenette with cooker, sink, fridge, microwave, pots and cutlery. We could see the Tower from our balcony, and a few other recognisable London buildings. We took the advice of other reviews here and asked for an even-numbered room at check-in. The woman at check-in worked the computer for a few minutes to try and accomodate this, and asked if the sixth floor would be OK: yes indeed, that'll be fine thanks. Even though it's literally steps away from the train and tube we didn't hear any noise and got a very sound sleep both nights. Pool and spa were lovely and clean, and completely empty on the one time we jogged down to try it. We had prior bookings for meals, so didn't eat at the hotel. We'll definitely be staying here again on the next trip to London.

Room Tip: Get an even-numbered room, on as high a floor as you can.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AppleAndBlackberry
London
Reviewed 17 May 2012

I got married in the City several years ago and hired 40 odd rooms for our guests at this hotel, so I'm a bit attached to the place. I just returned for an anniversary trip and it didn't disappoint. Rooms are still really nice with comfy beds, amazing views over the tower (ask for that when you check in) and there's a few cool bars springing up in the area. Spa is OK, a little tired now, and the massages were average to be honest. Wouldn't hesitate to stay there again and again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2012 via mobile

Lovely hotel great location but let down by their staff, they talked me into getting a private hire transport back to heathrow airport, were a Indian chap turned up in a old dirty car, didn't really know where he was going and couldn't speakEnglish that well. I ended up missing my flight which cost me another 300 pounds and 6 hours in the airport. Outside the hotel was a couple of London black taxis, which I went to the hotel in, just wished I did the same going back. Your hotel portering staff let your hotel down. otherwise its a great place to stay.

• Stayed May 2012
Hamilton Parish, Bermuda
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Location: I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights for a business trip. The hotel is in a great location. It is steps from the Tower Hill underground station, which provides easy access to both Heathrow and Gatwick. It is also very close to the Tower Gateway DLR, which provides easy access to London City airport. It was a quick walk to the business district. You can also walk across Tower Bridge and there are quite a few restaurants along the water. We went to Gaucho Argentinian Grill, which was fantastic. We also walked to Borough Market, which is a lovely market with cute food stands, etc. The Sky Lounge at the Double Tree down the street is also a very popular spot to grab some drinks at night, particularly in the warmer months when they open the outdoor patio.

Room: Upon check-in, I was given a room on the executive floor (room 1114). The room was very large with a sitting area. They also had a large plate of fruit waiting in the room for me when I arrived. The bathroom, however, was tiny. There were plenty of bath products (shampoos, conditioners, bath gels, etc.) I had a great view of the Tower Bridge and Tower of London. The room also had free wi-fi, which was quick and easy to use.

Service: No one was overly friendly at the front desk, but no one was rude either. We did ask the concierge for a map and he provided a tiny paper map that included a few blocks right around the hotel. Not very useful. The room service staff was very friendly. They even called back to make sure I received everything and was happy with the meal once I received the food.

Gym: The gym is on the lower level and is quite large for a hotel gym. Plenty of equipment and weights. They even had a little studio that offered spinning classes once or twice a day. My only complaint is the gym was not 24 hours. I think it closed at 9pm on Sundays and 10pm or so on weekdays.

Restaurants: There are a few restaurants in the hotel. I ordered room service from the Japanese restaurant (chicken donburi) and it was quick and delicious. That is the only thing I tried, but the room service menu did seem pretty extensive and you could order from any of the restaurants.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at the hotel and would definitely return in the future.

Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank PradaLuggage
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed 14 May 2012

There is nothing terribly wrong with this hotel but I found a few things rather annoying:

1. When I checked in at 2 p.m. my assigned room wasn't ready. Fair enough as check-in time is 3 p.m. When I asked if by chance they had another room available the receptionist told me that it was an extremely good room so well worth the wait. That was OK for me. It turned out my extremely good room was a bog standard room in the middle of the corridor and overlooking the railway tracks and the office block across. Bathroom was tiny and unattractive. Clearly the receptionist just didn't want to check if they had a room available for me other than the one assigned to me, and I fell for the promise of something extra special like a fool.

2. Check-out is 11 a.m. If you ask for a late check-out they will make an extra special effort letting you stay until noon but every hour after that is £20. That's cheeky.

3. My minibar hadn't been restocked and there was a half eaten sandwich from the previous guests in it - yum.

4. They forgot the turn down service. I only got in late at night so wasn't going to call someone to draw my curtains (it is not a matter of life or death, is it?) but still: disappointing. Also no sign of the complimentary bottles of water.

5. I told the receptionist about 3 and 4 on check-out. He really couldn't care less.

6. Soundproofing is not good enough. I heard people coughing in the room next door.

On the plus, the beds are very good and the breakfast is fine. But they're not worth going to this hotel for. So I would suggest you don't.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo