“Not a view of the Tower but a 30ft brick wall!”
Review of Grange City Hotel

Grange City Hotel
Ranked #355 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 30 May 2012

It took 25 minutes for 2 people before us to be checked in. We were given a room with a view of a brick wall 5 feet from the window. We could not see anything other than walls 30 feet high. We were put next to the elevator. The fire alarm went off at 3.30am and 5.30am. So much for a Secret Hotel. The only secret was that the room was rubbish and so was the customer service as we were basically told the hotel was not originally designed as a hotel and views were limited. Well, we were put in the new annexe of the hotel which I'm sure was designed to be a hotel. We slept terribly thinking we were going to burn in the bed at some point with the 2 fire alarms and if we had to smash a window to get out we'd have been scaling a wall to safety. Very VERY disappointed. The entrance is that of a Five Star hotel but the rubbish room we were given was beyond a joke.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Tower Of London as they advertise, not a tower of brick walls!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Bolly K

Reviewed 27 May 2012

Booked this hotel as a top secret hotel. Having stayed at the Grange St Pauls several times, we were very pleased with the booking. Check in was very slow and it was quite annoying that the receptionist kept answering the phone whilst dealing with us, holding us up even longer-wouldn't have minded if an apology was forthcoming. We were upgraded to a studio room which was very spacious and well appointed...it all went downhill after this. No offer of taking our bags to the room. After a walk around the beautiful city, we returned and no acknowledgement from staff as we walked in-we must be invisible. Ordered room service and after a long wait we received a phone call to say they had messed up our order and we would have to wait 5-10 minutes more-no big deal. A long time later, we rang to find out what had happened to it-we were told 'it is on its way'...it wasn't. We rang to cancel and no apologies-just 'ok'. It then miraculously turned up, poorly presented, tasteless and cold!

Some of the complimentary items listed as being in the room were not there, and the beds were not turned down. Having experienced the luxurious Molton Brown toiletries at the other Grange hotel, we were disappointed with the white tea offering. Hair dryer is ancient-I read the previous reviews and took my own.

We were woken up 3 times by the fire alarm going off -the 3.30am and 5.30am alarms were particularly irritating. Whilst I appreciate its there for the safety of guests, there was obviously some kind of problem with it. On checking out-we were asked if everything was ok with our stay..we mentioned the fire alarm...we were met with 'yeah, yeah, we know about that'. Mentioned the room service... Was met with ...'Did you order anything from the mini bar?!' Obviously that was a rhetorical question and they clearly did not have any intention of offering an apology (which would have been a start!) or provide any sort of explanation. Very disappointing. The lobby was awash with people complaining as we left, which gives you a flavour of what to expect.

The hotel itself is lovely - a great location with plenty to do and see in the area, but you would expect a lot more of a five star hotel. For the money we paid, we were happy with the room and the hotel-it is just a shame about the service as it was beyond poor. I would not stay here again, but would go back to the Grange St Pauls.

• Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank PixieWales
Reviewed 25 May 2012

Nice location,not far from the tube station.Bit sad with the view from the window eeeeem railway track,however didnt plan to sit and look out at the window all weekend.Deposit for mini bar very expensive.Room serice over priced.It is London however.Wouldnt rate this hotel as 5 star

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fiferduo
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I was on a layover on May 19th and wanted to experience Central London for the first time. At Heathrow I approached BHRC to find a hotel. This is where the story got bad......The CSR behide the counter asked my budget and I stated, " $250USD" he then made a phone call confirmed that I would love it for 250. After running the cc I noticed he charged me 250L equating to $350USD. The CSR then told me that nothing could be refunded. After all that I finally get to the hotel using the underground. As I walk up to the counter the displeasing attendant smiled and did not want to discuss pricing with me either by saying, " it is what it is". After that welcome statement I just want to check in and unload my baggage in the room but no so fast....the gentlemen could not find my reservation due to the name being misspelled multiply times making me wait another 10 mins in the lobby. After all was confirmed he finally gave me the key cards and sent me on my way literally! NO ONE offered to help or assist with my luggage up the odd looking ramp within the staircase and not knowing what door to go thorough for the elevator I had to basically yell back to the front kiosk gaining everyone's attention, finally that had someone wanting to take my luggage for me but by then it was too little too late! After opening the door I was surprised by the amount of space in the room but then I remembered how much I paid :( The view was the best part overlooking the bridge and mayors office but other than that I can not recommend this hotel to anyone. Walls are thin people up and down the hall ways all night were noticeable. Wake call up came 30 mins after I had requested it (lucky I set my own cell phone). Miss breakfast because I need to leave at 6am for the airport, but once again the UNwilling staff up front would not help once I asked about that concerning the day before at check in. He all but said the same thing to me, it is what it is! It felt like the front of the house personnel was disengaged and did not want to pursue happiness from their guest. In conclusion, DON'T use BHRC at Heathrow and Grange City Hotel needs to think about changing their name to...... It is What it Is Hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms facing the London Bridge, you also need to be at least on floor 7.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Bruce T
Reviewed 18 May 2012

We stayed here for a weekend break, and I can't fault a single thing about this hotel. The room was more like a flat - not only because it was huge (especially for London!), but to our surprise it actually had a kitchenette with cooker, sink, fridge, microwave, pots and cutlery. We could see the Tower from our balcony, and a few other recognisable London buildings. We took the advice of other reviews here and asked for an even-numbered room at check-in. The woman at check-in worked the computer for a few minutes to try and accomodate this, and asked if the sixth floor would be OK: yes indeed, that'll be fine thanks. Even though it's literally steps away from the train and tube we didn't hear any noise and got a very sound sleep both nights. Pool and spa were lovely and clean, and completely empty on the one time we jogged down to try it. We had prior bookings for meals, so didn't eat at the hotel. We'll definitely be staying here again on the next trip to London.

Room Tip: Get an even-numbered room, on as high a floor as you can.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AppleAndBlackberry
Reviewed 17 May 2012

I got married in the City several years ago and hired 40 odd rooms for our guests at this hotel, so I'm a bit attached to the place. I just returned for an anniversary trip and it didn't disappoint. Rooms are still really nice with comfy beds, amazing views over the tower (ask for that when you check in) and there's a few cool bars springing up in the area. Spa is OK, a little tired now, and the massages were average to be honest. Wouldn't hesitate to stay there again and again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2012 via mobile

Lovely hotel great location but let down by their staff, they talked me into getting a private hire transport back to heathrow airport, were a Indian chap turned up in a old dirty car, didn't really know where he was going and couldn't speakEnglish that well. I ended up missing my flight which cost me another 300 pounds and 6 hours in the airport. Outside the hotel was a couple of London black taxis, which I went to the hotel in, just wished I did the same going back. Your hotel portering staff let your hotel down. otherwise its a great place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2012