“Excellent location & a very comfortable hotel”
Review of Grange City Hotel

Grange City Hotel
Ranked #342 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Excellent location & a very comfortable hotel”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

My boyfriend & I stayed here for a weekend away. The hotel is right next to Tower Hill tube & Fenchurch Street station, so well positioned as a base for exploring London. Our room was very comfortable & contained everything which we could require.
The breakfast was fantastic. There was a vast choice - full English, cereals, fruit, continental, juices & they even provided soya milk. (I am lactose intolerant so this meant that I could have a bowl of cereal & a nice cup of tea!)
We used the jacuzzi, steam room & sauna which were all nice & clean. Even the changing rooms were clean & dry.
The staff wer very helpful & ready to assist.
Whilst this is not the cheapest place to stay it is certainly one of the best hotels in London that I have stayed in. The only downside was that our room did not have a view of the Tower of London. Guess you can't have it all though!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (598)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I stayed in this hotel for one night in a twin room following a recommendation from my company who use the hotel for business. The biggest disappointment for me was the breakfast in the restaurant, followed by the quality and amount of English spoken by the staff; reception and restaurant were the worst! It was very frustrating. Checking in: seamless other than the member of staff just not getting it. He lacked a basic understanding of English and found it hard to communicate. Bedrooms: good quality although very dated looking. The bathrooms are clean and have all amenities but the bath tub is so high, an older person or someone who cannot step up so well will find it difficult. I am a very able person and even I found it unsafe especially when getting out wet. The biggest disappointment for me was the breakfast food. If I wanted to eat part-baked breads full of additives and calories and pay an additional 8.00 GBP to “upgrade” to a Full-English breakfast, which consisted of poor quality frozen sausages and so on which were simply deep fried, I would have purchased the items from Iceland and prepared them at home. For a restaurant of its size and volume of business it made no sense not to provide a decent, quality breakfast. The service experience in the restaurant was unsatisfactory. Servers ignored me and others, worked at a snail pace, did not speak English and appeared confused when spoken to. I also noted dirty and un-kept uniforms as well as long hair worn down. Overall this experience was disappointing and I will never stay at this hotel again for business or leisure. I would not recommend this property to anyone else unless you’re happy to go hungry, like bad service, rude staff and speak an Eastern European Language.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the River Thames and Tower of London, you will experience a good view as...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
PatrickM_GH, Public Relations Manager at Grange City Hotel, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear traveller_D27,

Please accept our apologies for any embarrassment or inconvenience which may have been caused during your recent visit. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you and have sent you a private message with our contact information.

london
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Well Mr Nevile Shelley Is back on the road! I stayed at this hotel on 13/12/13 and heres my experience.

Check in : Very simple altho beware they will try to get you to leave a 50 pounds deposit to use the wi-fi and minibar which is think is rather expensive, Simpley refuse this . No stairs so if you have a lift phobia beware! I can't lie even I the great nevile shelley famous egg critic got alittle light headed in the lift!

Rooms : I booked a superior double bedroom I did contact the hotel and request that the room have a view of tower bridge you may be charged abit extra for this but its definatly worth emailing them asking them to put this on file for when you check in, After all you don't want to be looking out on the train station ! Room was a decent size slightly dated I must say but very clean and comfy, Sofa in the room had seen better days . Bed was a king size thankfuly not two doubles pushed together! For some reason the bathroom was extremley warm yet there was no raideaters in there? I experienced many a hot flush in that room! By gosh I did!

Prices : Now you all know this is a 5 star hotel so you don't go here expecting things to be the same price as a travel lodge, I checked in around 5:30 PM and really needed a drink after a long day of egg testing up in the city! The bar was jam packed with " Yuppy' Sorts so I thought I'd give it a miss, I ordered room service for me and my partner . Expect to pay 5.00 for a pint of beer and 7.00 for a spirt with a mixer, Not exactly cheap but for the hotel its reasonable! Also if you do ring room service make sure you request the person bringing up your drinks has change if you dont have the correct money and are paying via cash! The crafty man tried keeping over 6 pounds of my change! When he realised I was a famous egg critic he was extremley apolergitic, Blesss him :o) .

I didn't dine at the hotel so can't comment on the food/bars, altho all was very busy, You'd expect this on a friday night tho! One tip I will give you, If you are going out and require a minicab please please please DON'T use chanary wharf minicabs! I booked a taxi for 7 45 the driver arrvies at 7: 20pm I tell him I can't come now as myself and my partner aren't ready he becomes very rude and tells me he will come back later I ring the actual office and inform them of this and they tell me they will send another driver at the time I first requested, The driver picks me up 10 minutes late then has the nerve to try to charge me 15 pounds for a 1.3 mile trip! And I was quouted 8 pounds to begin with! I simpley refused to pack this outragaes fee and gave him the 8 pounds and got out at my desitination! All in all its a very nice hotel if alittle dated, I would stay here again, Very convient for tower hill and fenchurch street, Look around online to see if you can get a room cheaper before booking via the hotels website.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view. You won't be disapointed.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I think it’s a real shame that a hotel of your level cannot get a few simples request’s correct, I booked this hotel room through a booking agent who had arranged for the hotel to be on bill back, when arriving at the hotel it seemed this was not that case and I had to debate for some time with a very rude receptionist that it was. Even after I showed her all the emails I had confirming the room, breakfast and dinner was on bill back. I do not think there is any need for the front of house staff to be so incredibly rude for their mistake. Next when I ordered my food to my room I was then faced with another debate that this was not on bill back again. I feel I spent half of my stay arguing with rude staff who I didn’t feel wanted to help me. It’s a real shame as the room had a lovely view but I do not feel I was able to relax or enjoy my stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Sarah N,

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I have to say that I was impressed with the hotel. The staff were all friendly and nothing was too much trouble. It is in a really convenient location; within walking distance of the tower hill and the bridge and you can walk around the thames park early morning which is an absolute bliss!

The rooms are decent size but the bed was comfortable and clean. The breakfast spread is also pretty decent. I had requested for a room with tower hill view, however they gave me one overlooking the railway lines - dint matter much to me as I was out most of the time. And yes last thing, the hotel is a bit pricey!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank gugnani
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We were upset when we finally climbed into bed at around 3am to find the bed we had thought was a kingsize mattress earlier after checking in was actually two single beds pushed together that sank alarmingly in the middle and were not the same height.
We have never seen this in any hotel worldwide - and especially not expected from a 5* hotel in the City. Very disappointed about the room and there was no hand shower.
The pool was good - although shut early as it was Sunday night.
The Japanese restaurant was not open on the weekend so we had to go out to eat which was a disaster and lead us to go to bed so late.
It was surprising to be disturbed by the chambermaid at 9.15am on the day of checkout when the room is usually cleaned after check out.
Our bed was not turned down whilst we were out earlier in the evening.
Disappointing - although the room did have heating which was a good point and a small narrow balcony with a view if you stepped out on it... Our room was overlooked by offices opposite which was not the ideal view.
The breakfast was great but very expensive at £23.00 for one person.

Room Tip: Definitely ensure you get a double or kingsize mattress if that is on your booking - and not two sin...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MariOn14573
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Stayed there one night. Room was average - average size, average shower, average TV, bed linen, towels. Room was clean and mattress was fine. Location was good.
However - I was placed in a room on the third floor, which is actually a ground floor, where anyone could peak in through the window. I have never seen any hotel place women in such rooms.
Would not stay there again. Will not stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Nettads,

Please accept our apologies for any embarrassment or inconvenience which may have been caused during your recent visit. We are unsure of your comments relating to the Grange City Hotel as we have no ground floor rooms. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you and have sent you a private message with our contact information.