“Afternoon tea at the Grange City Hotel”
Review of Grange City Hotel

Grange City Hotel
Ranked #365 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 20 December 2013

To celebrate my daughters 21st birthday we booked an Afternoon Tea at the hotel for 6 adults and 2 children. Had a brilliant time. Such a grand reception area. Forum restaurant was lovely. Staff were very attentive at all times. Food was delicious. Maybe book an overnight stay next time! Thanks

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Margaret1138967
Write a ReviewReviews (2,919)

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Stayed for a special weekend and the staff and hotel couldn't have been better! Everyone we met went out of their way to make the weekend very special for us. Even upgraded our room free of charge!!!!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

We were given a complimentary upgrade to a spacious room, which we were chuffed with. The decor is drab, but very clean. Big bathroom. However, there was loud music played til the early hours. We rang reception at half 10 and they assured us it would stop at 11. We rang again at half 11 and they said "they have asked for two more songs, it will finish at midnight" (eh?). It kept us awake until 1245.
Pillows are tiny and cheap.
Air con has no temp indication so you have to set it and wait to see if how hot it is (a minor niggle).

All-in-all, pretty disappointed. Certainly not a 5* experience, and we won't be back.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Had high expectations thinking it would be a luxurious 5 star experience - but in reality it's a bit tired in places and probably a 4 star experience. Room well equipped but small (and view of office block), restaurant fine but souless and doesn't serve breakfast until 7am so business people were queuing to get in and out quickly. Breakfast range all fine, rece[tion looks nice, docation good - near tube. So not bas...but not great..and not cheap. With hindsight wished I'd returned to the Charing Cross hotel or H10 Waterloo - both of which were better and cheaper.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 December 2013

My boyfriend & I stayed here for a weekend away. The hotel is right next to Tower Hill tube & Fenchurch Street station, so well positioned as a base for exploring London. Our room was very comfortable & contained everything which we could require.
The breakfast was fantastic. There was a vast choice - full English, cereals, fruit, continental, juices & they even provided soya milk. (I am lactose intolerant so this meant that I could have a bowl of cereal & a nice cup of tea!)
We used the jacuzzi, steam room & sauna which were all nice & clean. Even the changing rooms were clean & dry.
The staff wer very helpful & ready to assist.
Whilst this is not the cheapest place to stay it is certainly one of the best hotels in London that I have stayed in. The only downside was that our room did not have a view of the Tower of London. Guess you can't have it all though!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I stayed in this hotel for one night in a twin room following a recommendation from my company who use the hotel for business. The biggest disappointment for me was the breakfast in the restaurant, followed by the quality and amount of English spoken by the staff; reception and restaurant were the worst! It was very frustrating. Checking in: seamless other than the member of staff just not getting it. He lacked a basic understanding of English and found it hard to communicate. Bedrooms: good quality although very dated looking. The bathrooms are clean and have all amenities but the bath tub is so high, an older person or someone who cannot step up so well will find it difficult. I am a very able person and even I found it unsafe especially when getting out wet. The biggest disappointment for me was the breakfast food. If I wanted to eat part-baked breads full of additives and calories and pay an additional 8.00 GBP to “upgrade” to a Full-English breakfast, which consisted of poor quality frozen sausages and so on which were simply deep fried, I would have purchased the items from Iceland and prepared them at home. For a restaurant of its size and volume of business it made no sense not to provide a decent, quality breakfast. The service experience in the restaurant was unsatisfactory. Servers ignored me and others, worked at a snail pace, did not speak English and appeared confused when spoken to. I also noted dirty and un-kept uniforms as well as long hair worn down. Overall this experience was disappointing and I will never stay at this hotel again for business or leisure. I would not recommend this property to anyone else unless you’re happy to go hungry, like bad service, rude staff and speak an Eastern European Language.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the River Thames and Tower of London, you will experience a good view as...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
PatrickM_GH, Public Relations Manager at Grange City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Dear traveller_D27,

Please accept our apologies for any embarrassment or inconvenience which may have been caused during your recent visit. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you and have sent you a private message with our contact information.

We look forward to speaking with you soon and restoring your faith in us.

With kind regards,

PatrickM

Digital Communications Team

Reviewed 14 December 2013

Well Mr Nevile Shelley Is back on the road! I stayed at this hotel on 13/12/13 and heres my experience.

Check in : Very simple altho beware they will try to get you to leave a 50 pounds deposit to use the wi-fi and minibar which is think is rather expensive, Simpley refuse this . No stairs so if you have a lift phobia beware! I can't lie even I the great nevile shelley famous egg critic got alittle light headed in the lift!

Rooms : I booked a superior double bedroom I did contact the hotel and request that the room have a view of tower bridge you may be charged abit extra for this but its definatly worth emailing them asking them to put this on file for when you check in, After all you don't want to be looking out on the train station ! Room was a decent size slightly dated I must say but very clean and comfy, Sofa in the room had seen better days . Bed was a king size thankfuly not two doubles pushed together! For some reason the bathroom was extremley warm yet there was no raideaters in there? I experienced many a hot flush in that room! By gosh I did!

Prices : Now you all know this is a 5 star hotel so you don't go here expecting things to be the same price as a travel lodge, I checked in around 5:30 PM and really needed a drink after a long day of egg testing up in the city! The bar was jam packed with " Yuppy' Sorts so I thought I'd give it a miss, I ordered room service for me and my partner . Expect to pay 5.00 for a pint of beer and 7.00 for a spirt with a mixer, Not exactly cheap but for the hotel its reasonable! Also if you do ring room service make sure you request the person bringing up your drinks has change if you dont have the correct money and are paying via cash! The crafty man tried keeping over 6 pounds of my change! When he realised I was a famous egg critic he was extremley apolergitic, Blesss him :o) .

I didn't dine at the hotel so can't comment on the food/bars, altho all was very busy, You'd expect this on a friday night tho! One tip I will give you, If you are going out and require a minicab please please please DON'T use chanary wharf minicabs! I booked a taxi for 7 45 the driver arrvies at 7: 20pm I tell him I can't come now as myself and my partner aren't ready he becomes very rude and tells me he will come back later I ring the actual office and inform them of this and they tell me they will send another driver at the time I first requested, The driver picks me up 10 minutes late then has the nerve to try to charge me 15 pounds for a 1.3 mile trip! And I was quouted 8 pounds to begin with! I simpley refused to pack this outragaes fee and gave him the 8 pounds and got out at my desitination! All in all its a very nice hotel if alittle dated, I would stay here again, Very convient for tower hill and fenchurch street, Look around online to see if you can get a room cheaper before booking via the hotels website.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view. You won't be disapointed.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple