“Stolen goods from bedroom- hotel management a disgrace”
Review of Grange City Hotel

Grange City Hotel
Ranked #355 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Had a terrible stay! My sister and I were over in London on a business trip at the beginning of August.
We had a free day on the Saturday that we arrived and bought items when we went shopping- we left them in our room the following day and they were stolen upon our return.
We contacted management immediately when we noticed it missing to which they replied 'the staff wouldn't have done it because they wouldn't risk their job'
They then ignored that this had happened.
The duty manager told us they had no CCTV outside bedrooms and we therefore had no proof- he made us feel like we were in the wrong!!! He then told us that we had no proof so we couldn't do anything.
We had to then contact the police. The police recommended that the hotel take the amount from our bill as CCTV at the reception shows us walk in with the shopping bags but management refused.
The hotel has a duty of care to their patrons but they did not care once we had paid for our accommodation.
Horrendous and stressful trip due to poor hotel and horrendous attitude from management- very disappointed, I would never dream of treating my customers in this way. Totally disgusted that this should happen in a 5* hotel

• Stayed: August 2014
9  Thank Donna R
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Guest, I am sorry you feel that items were "stolen" from your room. Our reports show nothing untoward in the servicing of your room. We can identify that the only access to your room was authorised and we are unable to explain where the items you have reported went. I understand that the police were callled and we have cooperated with them - they issued no crime reference number and in these circumstances we are regrettably unable to help further.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I feel the hotel is outdated, the first room I stayed in the, 'desk' had the TV on it, a bolted down alarm clock and the phone, could not actually do any work on it. The bathroom was very outdated, with rust/mould on the shower screen doors. I ended upgrading myself and the executive room was much better but still just felt the hotel wasn't up to the same standard as others, not for this price.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Toomsac
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

I am sorry to learn your expectations were not fully satisfied. Please accept my apologies. It would be good if you could contact us to in order that we can make investigations. I hope that you will consider staying with us in the future, maybe at our newest hotel the Grange Tower Bridge which is just a few minutes walk from the Grange City Hotel.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was our first stay with Grange hotels. On arrival we were upgraded to an executive room, which was really nice and had a fantastic view of the River Thames, the Tower and Tower Bridge. Check-in was very efficient and the reception staff very friendly and professional. The room was very clean and comfortable with a firm bed and a small compact bathroom en-suite. There is free Wifi in the hotel, which is a big plus. Our stay was from Wednesday until Sunday. The free complimentary breakfast on the weekdays was of a high standard and included fresh fruit, fresh bread and a good selection of cheeses which unfortunately made the inferior weekend choice a disappointment. However, we enjoyed our stay and would stay at a Grange Hotel again.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors have a great view on the river side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Glad you enjoyed your stay and I'm sure you enjoyed visiting the Tower and Tower Bridge. I hope you will have the opportunity of staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Lovely clean and modern rooms; great size for London. Just beside the underground station so very convenient. Would say it is more 4 star than 5. Really enjoyed our stay and would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: August 2014

I am pleased you found the hotel to be of good quality and in a great location. I hope you will return soon.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

First time back at this hotel since it opened, stayed at Grange Holborn also in the past which is very nice, this one is well located almost next to Tower Hill tube, turn left, then when you see the fast food kiosk turn right and the hotel is there. Its still as good as I remember, what I like about with Grange is laid back luxury thanks to the helpful staff, they are always there to help but you dont feel like they are watching over you. I arrived a bit early, so took the time to enjoy the pool and sauna area, full sized pool is a definate bonus. Had an executive room on 10th floor, very quiet, no view as such but good size with large sofa type armchair. If I had to make a criticism I would say breakfast could be improved, for example the juices were a bit to watered down for my liking. Would stay again however as Grange always seem to get the big things right

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank phil b
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you for your nice review. We are pleased you enjoy staying in Grange Hotels and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Check in nice and smooth with the staff using tablets to ease efficiency and speed. Reception area nicely decorated with free newspapers and comfy chairs all over.
Had been given a room with two twin beds whereas I'd requested a double. Called front desk to explain and they dealt with this exceedingly quickly, sending the concierge up with keys to our new room. Only downside to this was the first room had brilliant views over the roman wall, whereas the second room had views over Fenchurch St. Ah well.
Room very clean and furnished with all amenities one would require. Bathroom had two shower options, either over the bath or shower cubicle, which I thought was cool. The one over the bath had brilliant pressure and the products provided felt of a high quality.
Bed was very soft (personally too soft for me) but I know others would find this very comfy. Linen very fresh and soft also.
Ordered room service and the portions were very big and of a really high standard actually. Would highly recommend this option.
Only negative of the room for me would be the temp at night. There is air con but it was very noisy and we were unable to open the windows due to the noise from the trains. A big positive, however, was the free wifi everywhere, incl the bedrooms.

Breakfast in the morning was very good and I was surprised by the amount of choice on offer. All produce was of a very high quality and tasted very fresh and hot. Lots of staff replenishing and serving which was good, although did take a while to get a mug of tea! I would recommend eating breakfast at the hotel, it's obviously easier to do so and the range would suit everyone's palette.

Hotel had brilliant spa and leisure facilities which is a big plus for a city hotel and was one of the reasons I booked it in the first place.

Overall: nice hotel, very clean, exceptionally quiet considering our location and certainly served the purpose. There are others hotels in London which would probably give a more luxurious experience but for value for money and generally good feeling, I'd recommend the Grange.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and that the hotel lived up to your expectations. We do sometimes provide rooms with two double beds even when only one has been booked, the receptionist would have considered she was providing you with an upgrade, particularly in respect to the view. I am pleased however that she was able to provide you with the room type you required. I hope that you will return again soon.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed at the Grange on the 28th. We got a good rate which included breakfast. The room faced out over the courtyard with the Roman Wall and looked towards the Thames, which was great. The room was on a smoking floor, which was surprising (being from the states I did not such things existed :)). The room itself didn't smell, though. It was a huge room with two beds and a little sitting area. Very nice bathroom. Its a quiet location right next to the Tower Hill Tube stop. Only downside is that to get to the rest of London, you will be on the tube a lot. The breakfast was great. We would stay there again in a heartbeat. Lots of great places to eat across Tower Bridge.

One special shoutout to the concierge Tamas. We left something behind and he was SOOOOO helpful to us. It was awesome and top marks to him!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the courtyard and the Tower
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your kind review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we very much hope that you will return again soon on your next trip to England. So good to hear that the concierge was so helpful too.