“fantastic service and great hotel”
Review of Grange City Hotel

Grange City Hotel
Ranked #353 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Fantastic customer service in sorting out our minor but relevant problem with the initially allocated room. ( I wont bore you with the details but basically the left hand didnt seem to know what the righthand was doing on reception). What the duty manager did in co-operation with a colleague in sorting it out went far beyond our expectations as you went the “extra mile “ and it was a pleasure to see you took what to us was a concern, seriously and with and great genuine empathy and ultimate professionalism.

He turned what was potentially a disappointment into something outstanding which we will always remember and we will certainly come again and recommend the hotel to our friends and family.

This is a great hotel, spacious well equiped,clean rooms, good breakfast, 70 metres from Tower Tube. A little bit of luxury at very affordable prices but just get the very polite receptionists to be more efficient and this will save managers having to get invoved. Overall, would stay againespecially on a deal

Room Tip: all rooms good but ask for a tower view in advance and you may be lucky
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nick O
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Sorry to hear of your initial difficulties, however I am pleased we were able to sort it out for you and that your expectations were surpassed. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Myself and my hubby stayed here in July this year, it is an amazing hotel. On arrival we got a free upgrade to the exec room on the 10th floor looking out over the tower of London and the Thames it was fantastic. Staff very friendly and helpful. Beds massive and very comfortable. Breakfast on weekdays was stunning, and there was no charge for the continental version. But the continental selection was huge, inc smoked salmon, a cheese board, pastries, breads meats fruit etc. The breakfast on the Saturday not as good but still very good. The location is fantastic. There is a brasserie Blanc just round the corner which is good value for their set meal.
The only thing I would have a little negative feedback on was the water in the pool was quite cold, but the area around the pool and the spa etc. was kept very well.
Would definitely go back for one fo the their promotional breaks.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your fantastic review. I am so pleased to hear you and your husband enjoyed your stay and that you liked the view from your upgraded room. I hope you will return soon.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

I visited in May this year with my partner, we booked through last minute (top secret hotels) and got a really good deal! I was very pleased it was a hotel from the Grange group as I have stayed before in other hotels (Bracknell) and they are generally very good!

On arrival we were upgraded complimentary to a larger room which made our stay feel even more special! the basement pool, sauna and steam room seem to be under used but stunningly elegant with large pillars around the pool. It truly felt like luxury.

The room was immaculate, bathroom clean and beds large and very comfortable. The only slight negative was the prices at the bar but to be honest, in a hotel of this standard, in a prime central location, its not any more expensive than any others

Staff were very friendly. I would happily recommend this hotel and its other hotels and hope to stay there again soon!

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the front of the hotel, the rear faces another building
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your nice review Martin. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay and found it clean, comfortable and luxurious. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Got this deal through lastminute.com, at a reasonable price. Cheap, even. Obvious that the reception personnel thought so, as well. The treatment was, well, disrespectful. We did not exactly feel at home. The room was great, spacious by any standard. Right next to a railway station, but excellent soundproofing, didn't hear a thing. So a mixed experience, but all in all, a positive one as long as we didn't talk to any employees at the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank brys320
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

It is really disappointing to read your review. Your comments have all been noted. I hope you will consider staying with us on a future occasion.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

On arriving at this hotel for the first time I was greeted by two receptionists, one of whom answered a phone call as the other walked away, not a good start. The room was large and clean if not slightly dated and I was fortunate to have a decent view of the Tower of London and Tower Bridge. I did not receive any complimentary bottled water in the room despite it being specified in a confirmation email to me.

Due to the time of my arrival I was forced to order room service which was a real mistake. I was presented with one of the blandest meals I've ever eaten and instead of promptly taking payment the member of staff who brought the food was watching the TV until prompted. This hotel has large rooms and looks very nice, however whoever is in charge of service needs to manage their staff up to the apparent 5* standard or this will swiftly be removed.

Having stayed in most hotels in the area (reviews available) this is not somewhere that I would stay again over many others. This is a highly competitive area and the Grange City needs to reevaluate its position.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Tower of London and Tower Bridge for a good view as all other sides of the hot...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Ash-W22
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

For London, the room was palatial! We booked through a Lastminute.com Secret Hotel deal (although had guessed we were getting the Grange City when we booked) and were upgraded on arrival.

Having stayed at a few other hotels nearby (the Doubletree and Apex), the room here was enormous in comparison! Perhaps a touch dated but very clean and comfortable, and the shower was very good. Staff were nice, although there was a big queue to leave bags with concierge at check out.

Would definitely return.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

It is good that the hotel met your expectations and found the hotel clean and staff nice. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

It was my girlfriends 21st birthday so i decided to treat her (and me) to 2 nights at the hotel. I chose the romantic package which included one 3-course meal, 2 English breakfasts, 2 half hour massages and use to all facilities, oh and a really nice room with a fantastic view.
Upon arrival we were greeted by the front desk manager, who I don’t think even cracked a smile. We were an hour early before check in but I read in the email we were able to leave our bags with the concierge. Whilst sorting out our details to check in, the manager asked me to pay upfront, I thought this was a bit odd because the contact I had with the hotel beforehand said that I will pay on departure, maybe he thought we were young and should get our money in case we couldn’t afford it?? But I paid and was all fine.
We had our suitcases so we went to the concierge to check them in. He said 2 words to which was "follow me". I followed him, carrying my own bags to what looked like a function room where other cases had been checked in. He signed them in and gave me a ticket and that was it. I thought it was odd as I thought 5 star hotel concierges would carry our bags and at least make small talk, anyway we left our bags and went for a wonder.
We came back at check in time and got our keys no problem. Went to get our bags, even though I would have thought they should have been taken up to our room. Asked for the bags the concierge went off to get them, 5 minutes past with no sign of him I went to see where he went, he came out of a staff room looking scruffy like he was just about to finish his shift, he said that someone has gone to get them, sure enough the other concierge came down with our bags, but again we had to carry them to the room. What was the point of the concierge??
We arrived to our room and wow, what a view, overlooking London on the 10th floor. Tower bridge, Shard, tower of London, fantastic, oh and a massive crane but that didn’t bother us.
Straight away we went down to the pool and were greeted by a lovely receptionist who welcomed us and showed us where everything was. Swimming pools, sauna, Jacuzzi, steam room were all functioning and really nice. We spent most our time down in the leisure facilities.
Breakfast was ok, again Not really 5*. I’ve never experienced 5* hotels or food but in my head I thought that it was the best of the best, the food definitely let them down. The breakfast variety was good but the food its self was average. It was a buffet breakfast with the usual English breakfast bits and the continental foods. I would have thought that the sausages would have been proper butcher’s sausages not the processed kind, crispy bacon not anaemic, fresh orange juice and apple juice but instead watered down juices. When we arrived for breakfast we were shown to our seat and that was it, No explanation as to what we were allowed as part of our package, do we go up our selves or do we order from the waiter? Not sure if that was us being naive as we haven’t really been to hotels before but we thought just a little explanation would have been nice, so we just followed the crowd and went up to get our food.
Again we spent most of the day in the pool, went to the gym which was up to date and equipped with the latest Gym equipment. We had booked a massage for 4pm which was really relaxing, not sure if we were the last people that day for a massage but the masseuse’s weren’t exactly cheerful and again minimal communication with ourselves.
That evening we had our 3 course meal which was part of the package. We didn’t book thought we would just risk it and we went down about half 7 (Sunday night). No need to book they had only one table in with one customer on it. Half the restaurant was closed off ready and set for breakfast. Maybe because it was a Sunday night they weren’t busy but it was very odd. We were given the a la carte menu, which had the prices on, I thought that was odd as I had paid for the meal so asked the waiter who checked and then gave us the TDH menu which I had paid for. The menu had a choice of 3 starters 3 mains and 3 desserts...wow great 5 star foods...Not. I had chicken liver pate which was good but shop bought, would have thought at least to be homemade same as my girlfriends soup. My main was spinach and ricotta ravioli with tomato sauce, again ravioli straight out the packet from Tesco and boiled, topped with domino tomato sauce. Girlfriend’s meal was chicken with gravy and veg, was average. Desert was ice cream and chocolate brownie. Girlfriend ordered chocolate brownie I ordered ice cream. Brownie came with nuts in which it didn’t specify on the menu so we had to swap as my girlfriend doesn’t like nuts (which I was pleased about because it was a darn good brownie). Overall the meal at best was 3* quality.
The next day breakfast again had all same selection. We had a late checkout of two so we used the facilities again. Half an hour before we left we got complimentary bottle of water....very random, would have been nice when we arrived not half an hour before we left. Check out was quick and simple as I had paid on arrival.

Overall: Communication upon arrival very poor not made to feel welcome, not informative.
Lack of information for young couples, who maybe haven’t stayed at many hotels before.
Food let the hotel down at best 3* food.
Views from the room were fantastic
Facilities were great and clean
Room was really big, clean, and a really peaceful sleep.

Would recommend to anyone but make sure you eat out!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jack G

Thank you for your detailed review. Your comments have all been taken on board and we will take appropriate action to remedy. Thank you for letting us know. We hope you will return in the future.