“Not sure I'd rate it a five star....”
Review of Grange City Hotel

Grange City Hotel
Ranked #376 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I have just returned from a two night stay at this hotel with my husband. The title of my review sums up my stay really - the hotel was decent enough, but having never stayed in a five star hotel before, I was left feeling as if it didn't live up to expectation. From my other reviews, I have stayed in plenty of four star hotels. However this hotel was not any better or worse than them. I got a very good deal on this hotel through a third party website so have no complaints in regards to the cost. But had I paid the apparent standard rate of almost £300 per night I wouldn't be very happy. Initial thoughts on entering the hotel were good. Large foyer, attentive staff and an efficient check in process. The lifts up to our room were also a good size and very quick. Our room, had a sign on the outside stating designated smoking room - I was under the impression it isn't legal to smoke indoors? The room also smelt quite musty. The room itself was a decent size and had a large LCD TV. Tea and coffee facilities were available. However the information book also stated complimentary bottled water was available. Upon looking in the incredibly overpriced minibar I could see several bottles of divan water. But as they were listed on the bar menu at £3.75 each I didn't dare take one on the chance I would be automatically billed.
For most of our stay the hotel was hosting a convention. It seemed that the attendees needs were put above those if the hotel guests as on several occasions I had force my way through a packed foyer and the noise was so loud my ears were ringing for several minutes afterwards.

On the whole I enjoyed my stay - the hotel is in a good location with amenities in the local area. We only used the hotel as a base but had I been the type to stay within the hotel for longer periods I think my review would be a lot different.

Room Tip: Higher floors to block out the noise from the foyer
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StephKing001
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Thank you for your review. It is disappointing that your feelings about the hotel were mixed, however I hope you will consider staying with us again on a future occasion.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,985)

Reviewed 25 August 2014

This hotel is in an excellent position, around the corner from The London Tower and a couple do hundred yards from Tower hill station for the circle, distrct & DLR which meant getting around London very easy together with excellent, friendly service , fantastic room & the use of a pool, sauna, jacuzzi & gym, we wanted for nothing , highly recommend

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank karen h
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Thank you for your great review. We are pleased you enjoyed your theatre break and look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

On the positiive
The hotel is in a fantastic location and if you can get a room on floor 10, the view is amazing!
The rooms are clean and spacious and the bed was very comfortable
The pool, spa and gym were a great addition to this hotel.

Not so positive
The breakfast was part of our booking and I would not have paid £23 per person for it. The service was slow and they kept running out of food!
The bar is expensive and they try to add 10% service charge, even if you order from the bar yourself.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the river
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your mixed review. Although I am pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay, your comments have been noted.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

I stayed at Grange City as it's just a 5 minutes walk from my office on Frenchurch Street. As a tourist, it's close to London Tower, Tower Bridge and two tube stations; other than that, the streets are pretty quiet at night and during weekend, with very few options of eateries in the neighborhood.

Check in is not available until 3pm, it may be an inconvenience if you arrive early in the morning. But the process of check-in and check-out were easy with very friendly staffs, it sounded like everyone was getting an "upgrade" of their rooms. I was a little disappointed despite asking for the Tower Bridge view. Nonetheless, my room on the 11th floor still opens up to the view of St Mary Axe and Heron Tower, which is a consolation.

Breakfast is included but no complementary mineral water in the room. The room is spacious and clean, but it's a little dated with loud air-condition. I probably will stay there again on business and not so much for leisure.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel conveniently located near to your office in Fenchurch Street. I hope you will have the opportunity of returning soon.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

We held our annual awards dinner at the Grange City Hotel last Friday eve - and from the initial enquiry through to the event itself our requirements (every changing) and needs were heard and actioned. The whole team at the hotel were excellent and very responsive, nothing seemed too much trouble - we had around 130 guest for dinner with 50 bedrooms. Having experienced mass catering before my expectations weren't high but I was very impressed by the standard of the food - not only was it good quality it was served hot! All our bedroom were of a superior standard - I was fortunate to overlook the Tower of London and the amazing display of poppies!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Thank you very much for your really nice review. We are pleased that your conference went well, that all your bedrooms met with your satisfaction and our staff were friendly and helpful at all times. We hope you will return to us for a future event.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Fantastic customer service in sorting out our minor but relevant problem with the initially allocated room. ( I wont bore you with the details but basically the left hand didnt seem to know what the righthand was doing on reception). What the duty manager did in co-operation with a colleague in sorting it out went far beyond our expectations as you went the “extra mile “ and it was a pleasure to see you took what to us was a concern, seriously and with and great genuine empathy and ultimate professionalism.

He turned what was potentially a disappointment into something outstanding which we will always remember and we will certainly come again and recommend the hotel to our friends and family.

This is a great hotel, spacious well equiped,clean rooms, good breakfast, 70 metres from Tower Tube. A little bit of luxury at very affordable prices but just get the very polite receptionists to be more efficient and this will save managers having to get invoved. Overall, would stay againespecially on a deal

Room Tip: all rooms good but ask for a tower view in advance and you may be lucky
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nick O

Sorry to hear of your initial difficulties, however I am pleased we were able to sort it out for you and that your expectations were surpassed. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Myself and my hubby stayed here in July this year, it is an amazing hotel. On arrival we got a free upgrade to the exec room on the 10th floor looking out over the tower of London and the Thames it was fantastic. Staff very friendly and helpful. Beds massive and very comfortable. Breakfast on weekdays was stunning, and there was no charge for the continental version. But the continental selection was huge, inc smoked salmon, a cheese board, pastries, breads meats fruit etc. The breakfast on the Saturday not as good but still very good. The location is fantastic. There is a brasserie Blanc just round the corner which is good value for their set meal.
The only thing I would have a little negative feedback on was the water in the pool was quite cold, but the area around the pool and the spa etc. was kept very well.
Would definitely go back for one fo the their promotional breaks.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your fantastic review. I am so pleased to hear you and your husband enjoyed your stay and that you liked the view from your upgraded room. I hope you will return soon.